Looking into buying a new Kicker for my Seasport Skipper 19'

MRWood

I'm looking for advice on what kicker to get for my Seasport Skipper 19. Boat is 5,000lbs give or take. Currently have a 1999 Yami 9.9 extra long shaft with tiller, electric start, no power tilt. Steering is Nautamatic TR1 auto pilot. The motor still runs well when the carb is not acting up but it's getting old and I think I'd like something new. I'm in Nanoose on the Island.
What would recomendations be on power, 9.9 or 15hp? (I would need electric start and power tilt). Merc or yami or....?
I'd like a steering system similar to the TR1 auto pilot as I love my current system. Any recomendations appreciated.
Anyone know of any deals happening now or would waiting for the fall be a better plan?

ive ditched the whole gas kicker idea after several gas kickers (mercury, honda, tohatsu). they all had the same carb issues and hard starting. which made it pointless to have a kicker you cant start in an emergency.
i switched to a brushless electric transom mount drive setup. i can run it 4 hours on boat lithium battery alone or unlimited if i power on my DC gas genny. completely noiseless. i find myself using it more than my main now. its not for everyone but is an option if you dont want the headaches of a gas kicker. you will get 5-6 kph out of it which means you can go 20km on electric drive alone. with an autopilot you dont need to steer it, it will happily follow waypoints. also bonus : i no longer need to anchor to eat. i can now have lunch while moving while everyone else is trying to tie off to tree trunks or using their anchors.

Last edited:
I switched up a few years ago from a 1999 Yamaha 9.9 (100:1 mix) to a 2018 Yamaha 8hp four stroke and seems like the new motor is louder and vibrates a lot more then the old Yamaha.

yeah. 1 cylinder engines are basically terrible. louder than my main even. hard starting, oil changes, fuel clogging etc etc. im happy not to deal with that nonsense anymore. threw my shoulder out trying to get the stupid kickers started more time than i can count. now i just turn a knob and get pure electric power. very nice. nicer than i thought it would be. set waypoints on chartplotter, dont need to bother about other boats since they think youre standing still with no wake so they avoid you. love it.

ive ditched the whole gas kicker idea after several gas kickers (mercury, honda, tohatsu). they all had the same carb issues and hard starting. which made it pointless to have a kicker you cant start in an emergency.
i switched to a brushless electric transom mount drive setup. i can run it 4 hours on boat lithium battery alone or unlimited if i power on my DC gas genny. completely noiseless. i find myself using it more than my main now. its not for everyone but is an option if you dont want the headaches of a gas kicker. you will get 5-6 kph out of it which means you can go 20km on electric drive alone. with an autopilot you dont need to steer it, it will happily follow waypoints. also bonus : i no longer need to anchor to eat. i can now have lunch while moving while everyone else is trying to tie off to tree trunks or using their anchors.
I have 9.9 mercury hi thrust long shaft EFI with remote throttle as helm ... I enjoy the efi
I'm looking for advice on what kicker to get for my Seasport Skipper 19. Boat is 5,000lbs give or take. Currently have a 1999 Yami 9.9 extra long shaft with tiller, electric start, no power tilt. Steering is Nautamatic TR1 auto pilot. The motor still runs well when the carb is not acting up but it's getting old and I think I'd like something new. I'm in Nanoose on the Island.
What would recomendations be on power, 9.9 or 15hp? (I would need electric start and power tilt). Merc or yami or....?
I'd like a steering system similar to the TR1 auto pilot as I love my current system. Any recomendations appreciated.
Anyone know of any deals happening now or would waiting for the fall be a better plan?
I have 9.9 mercury hi thrust long shaft EFI with remote throttle as helm on my 1802 Trophy... I enjoy the efi

I've never seen this, can you put up a pic or two?

Call Alberni marine for best prices/stock and get a fuel injected Mercury. Thank me later
I keep looking at the Alberni Power and Marine mercs. Best pricing i've seen so far although I haven't looked much yet.
Would you go with a 9.9 or 15 for my boat?

My new tub cane with Suzuki fuel injected 9.9 w/ power tilt and electric start. I’ll be testing mine this week
I think EFI is the way to go now, although my last two Yamaha 9.9’s were very trusty and easy operation.

I keep looking at the Alberni Power and Marine mercs. Best pricing i've seen so far although I haven't looked much yet.
Would you go with a 9.9 or 15 for my boat?
I would go 15 as I think they are lighter for some reason Fuel injected is amazing on the kicker. Turn key and go.
At APM )talk to brad. He is great. Very fair

I would go 15 as I think they are lighter for some reason Fuel injected is amazing on the kicker. Turn key and go.
At APM )talk to brad. He is great. Very fair
Something about pull starting a carb’d motor, and the smell of gas as I get it warmed up and get my rods set up to drop is a very fond memory.
I think I’ll miss it a bit, but I’ll find out soon enough.

My Skipper came with a new Suzuki 9.9 that seems to work fine other than it seems to rev higher at trolling speed ,so it's noisier than the 9.9 Yamaha HT's that I've always had and loved.

9.9 hp EFI Suzuki with Electric start/ Tilt) would be fine. Happy with mine. Your not fishing crazy currents in Nanoose area. If you want you can put a 15hp on. go for it I think same weight? I find though the 9.9hp I have more than enough power.

yeah. 1 cylinder engines are basically terrible. louder than my main even. hard starting, oil changes, fuel clogging etc etc. im happy not to deal with that nonsense anymore. threw my shoulder out trying to get the stupid kickers started more time than i can count. now i just turn a knob and get pure electric power. very nice. nicer than i thought it would be. set waypoints on chartplotter, dont need to bother about other boats since they think youre standing still with no wake so they avoid you. love it.

EFI motors though are not hard starting so that argument is moot. I have yet to see a boat pass me fishing withe electric system. In remote areas sounds scary.

Carry on....

Back