Looking at new boats

Charter Tofino

Were looking at upgrading boats and have a few in mind. 1992 19foot double eagle and a 1995 19.5 bayliner capri. I know double eagles a great boat and that definatly my first choice but were unsure if hes going to sell it or not. I havent heard good things about the bayliner but its in great shape, one owner and a pretty good price. (11k) I figured theres people here who have been on both and have a good idea of what their like. I know the bayliners not an offshore boat we would be using it on the inside maybe telegraph cove ect.

Hey Kelly what are you looking for I'm looking at buying a new boat and may be selling this spring. Its a 1996 campion 185 explorer

Braden its an area ive never really fished and the whales are a nice bonus. Fytfire can you send me an email about the boat im definatly interested? Maybe an idea at the price?

SAVE your money boys future for fishing may go the way of the DODO.

fytfire
I would be interested in some info on your boat. Of course I'd get in line behind kelly but send me info.
Thanks,
Tips

fytfire thanks for the email but its a bit out of our price range.Good luck in your boat search. Wolf even if it comes down to boating it will still be worth it.

Alright, enough with the same doom and gloom Ive heared for the last 15 years or so... Its all worked out so far and will continue to do so, even if its done in a different way. Lets keep our heads up!

Hey guys need some input badly. Were looking at this bayliner capri seriously.I know its not made with the highest quality and isnt a real westcoast boat but its somewhere between my 15ft and the 22foot ideal but to expensive boat. Its got 500 hours with a freshwater cooled mercruiser. never stored in water and only one owner. Should we survey any boat before putting in an offer? Heres the same model just a few years older. I like the cuddy theres not much deck room but again more than my 15ft. Any ideas?

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7719

Ps riverhunter to much paper work and headaches matched with streaky

First thing to note on the Bayliner is that replacement cost is in the 25k to 30k range depending on options. Being that it is a 95, and that there are typically many on the market, you should have some room for negotiation.

The biggest difference between those two boats is likely going to be the power, i/o versus OB. As with any older power, it is really how well the owner maintained it. 500 hours is actually a little low for likely a 12 year old boat.

With Bayliner, their main weaknesses are quality of construction, and consistency of construction. The quality would show up in wear and tear, and consistency in any obvious flaws.

If you are unable to afford any unplanned significant repairs after purchase, then I would definitely do a survey to reduce the risk.

Best of luck.

Thats what i was thinking and i havent heard good things with I/Os. Backatit thats the price. Whats the life expectancy of a mercruiser on average? I would definatly prefer an outboard. I also found this boat for sale. Sweet fishing setup and new kicker. Glaspy has a good rep from alot of guys here although most pod them. Again the 15+ year old I/O is the main concern.

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/...16309/19_6_GLASPLY_HARDTOP_1991_470_Merc.aspx

A mercruiser will last you well over 1000 hours if properly maintained and not bag-driven. Check to see that the bellows (rubber accordian-looking thing visible from below/behind the leg) is not worn or cracked. If you end up getting it..I would recommend taking it in and getting everything checked over...a few hundred bucks now could stop that ******* Big Bill from paying you a visit later.
Winterize properly every year, store with the leg down.

I/O's are reliable (particularly freshwater cooled). The common problems are cracked manifolds and risers, gimbal bearings/ u-joints going due to water getting through the bellows.
If the boat you're looking at has a 3.0l...they are very good and economical engines. Only 1 riser, 1 manifold...easy to repair.

Obviously I like I/O's...many on this site don't...my boat for the last 3 years had a 3.0 mercruiser...3 years of bills = $1000 (using it at least twice a week all summer wakeboarding and fishing.
Now I have a bigger boat with a mercruiser 5.0.

By the way, its pretty easy to tell if an older boat/engine has been well taken care of after just by looking at them. A 15 year old mercruiser should look new.

sounds like we may pass on them and wait for an outboard.... longer life and more reliable as well a newer 4strk is prob better on gas.

Rather than clicking on the email link and doing the auto-email....copy and paste the email address using your hotmail or whatever email you use. Should work. Those auto-email links don't work unless your setup to send email through Microsoft Outlook.
Sounds like a great rig...unless 100 hp is a little light...that's a heavy boat.

Back