Smaller boats to avoid buying

Foxsea

I have owned many, inexpensive boats and a few better ones. Now, a buddy is looking for a 17 - 18' boat for coastal fishing. We all agree Double Eagles are tried and true. My 1993 Malibu Tyee was fantastic - gave me many years of safe, fun times from Nootka to Sooke, Bamfield and out on La Perouse Bank. We all respect Hourstons.

I had an old Glaspar that was not the best hull for chop and then a Montauk that destroyed my back. And later, I bought a Sea Fox that I never trusted - an unstable chine-walker. My brother had a K&C where the built-in fuel tank broke through the bottom, out in Georgia Strait - freaking terrifying!

For the benefit of my inexperienced friend, what are the boats that you would never buy twice? Which were life-long loves?

I have owned many, inexpensive boats and a few better ones. Now, a buddy is looking for a 17 - 18' boat for coastal fishing. We all agree Double Eagles are tried and true. My 1993 Malibu Tyee was fantastic - gave me many years of safe, fun times from Nootka to Sooke, Bamfield and out on La Perouse Bank. We all respect Hourstons.

I had an old Glaspar that was not the best hull for chop and then a Montauk that destroyed my back. And later, I bought a Sea Fox that I never trusted - an unstable chine-walker. My brother had a K&C where the built-in fuel tank broke through the bottom, out in Georgia Strait - freaking terrifying!

For the benefit of my inexperienced friend, what are the boats that you would never buy twice? Which were life-long loves?
Regardless of it's hull, I will never, ever, evereverever, EVER, own an inboard boat again.

Hey R.C., what's your opinion of sterndrives? Please be clear on this. Asking for my friend. 😂
I big wallet and stern drives are great. Couldn't pay to run another one of those.

In response to thread I am pretty happy with my 18 ft malibu. Not many places I can't go with it. And it's cheap to run gas wise.

Last edited:
I big wallet and stern drives are great. Couldn't pay to run another one of those.

In response to thread I am pretty happy with my 18 ft malibu with many places I can't go. Ant its cheap to run gas wise.
True.
We loved our Malibu Tyee - an all around great West Coast boat! Sold but still in our family 28 years later.

There are so many options in this size category might be easier to have your friend share the listings he’s interested in and let the tribe comment.

I'm a big fan of a select starcraft aluminum with outboards. I'm not sure all double eagles fall into the tried and true; older ones can have transom stringer issues. I'm a fan of 2000 and newer Boston Whalers.

Regardless of it's hull, I will never, ever, evereverever, EVER, own an inboard boat again.
Isn't boats with inboards the only thing you buy?

I'm a big fan of a select starcraft aluminum with outboards. I'm not sure all double eagles fall into the tried and true; older ones can have transom stringer issues. I'm a fan of 2000 and newer Boston Whalers.

To date, yes. But that's why I'm now poor.

I've repaired transoms on 2 older boats now. Both had some rot up top, where the moulding covers the edge. Repair is cheap and easy. Allow a day.

I took a zip disk to cut out the exterior fiberglass panel. I sounded the area first and moved my cut line out about 3-1/2 to 4 " toward solid transom plywood. Save the glass cut-out. Cut out all defective ply. Both the fiberglass and the old plywood peel away easily. Then use a hog on a small grinder to feather in 3-1/2 " around the edges to make the scarf joint. Dry the area thoroughly for a couple of days with a heater on a bench or a table close by. Cut a new piece of plywood to match the void. Feather it's edges to match the transom void. No need for perfection.

Pre-treat the plywood and all fiberglass surfaces with epoxy resin. Then mix up resin with high-strength filler to make a thin putty. Coat the inside face of the plywood. Thicken the resin with more filler and spread onto both scarfs. I use clamps and 3/4" screws to hold the plywood patch in place. Putty should ooze out the flush edges. If not, add more. Clean all excess ooze away and let cure. Rough up the patch with 60 grit, then mix thin putty and spread, except for the edges. Add white pigment, then spread along then edges. Clamp and use temporary battens and screws to press the fiberglass panel flush with the transom. Clean up all ooze. Waxed paper behind the battens so no-stick. Wet sand the joints flush, then polish. This repair is as strong as the surrounding area.

Attachments

• 616D0VVMlML._SL1500_.jpg
    616D0VVMlML._SL1500_.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
I realize that all hulls can have water intrusion issues, it really comes down to how the owner treated and stored the hull. I owned a 2000 Campion 542 for 10 years, it was a great hull, I had it out in some crazy water and it was very reliable and safe. It was stored under cover when not on the water. The only reason I upgraded to my current 228 Seafarer was due to the family got bigger and older and I needed more room. My brother in law bought the same but older hull and found some stringer rot by the fuel tank, again most likely attributed to the previous owner not looking after the hull. Here’s a picture of the new owner of my boat enjoying the 542 in Nootka last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2375.jpeg
    IMG_2375.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 81
I realize that all hulls can have water intrusion issues, it really comes down to how the owner treated and stored the hull. I owned a 2000 Campion 542 for 10 years, it was a great hull, I had it out in some crazy water and it was very reliable and safe. It was stored under cover when not on the water. The only reason I upgraded to my current 228 Seafarer was due to the family got bigger and older and I needed more room. My brother in law bought the same but older hull and found some stringer rot by the fuel tank, again most likely attributed to the previous owner not looking after the hull. Here’s a picture of the new owner of my boat enjoying the 542 in Nootka last summer.
Looks like a beautiful day by friendly cove

I’ve only had 2 boats, a 16 foot Double Eagle and now an 18 foot Hourston. Both excellent, but the Hourston has a hard top and my Double Eagle had nothing overhead, not even canvas. I love some weather protection. The Hourston rides incredibly smoothly and is extremely safe. It’s tremendous.

Looks like a beautiful day by friendly cove
Yes a very nice day, the coolest thing was to see and recognize my old boat troll past me a few hundred feet away just near the lighthouse, I yelled “nice boat” and snapped that picture. I may trade him boats in 15 years when I’m ready to down size.

I’ve only had 2 boats, a 16 foot Double Eagle and now an 18 foot Hourston. Both excellent, but the Hourston has a hard top and my Double Eagle had nothing overhead, not even canvas. I love some weather protection. The Hourston rides incredibly smoothly and is extremely safe. It’s tremendous.
My buddy has a 1974 18ft Double Eagle, west coast classic boats.

Previously owned a Harbercraft Nahanni, a welded aluminum hull. Admittedly saw some hard use on the North arm of the Fraser and local saltwater. Aluminum flexed, then cracked and then began to leak. I think as a lake boat it would have been a great design.

Back