Levelwind vs Centerpin

FisherTim

I'm sure this is the 2nd biggest debate on the west coast, following Bait vs Plastic...

But I'm wondering, what do you run, a Levelwind (Baitcaster, Star Drag, Lever Drag) or a Centerpin(Mooching) reel?

I just want to get some perspective, what do you run, and why?

Experienced fishers--- centrepin
Neophyte---levelwind
The very young ---- open faced spinning

Experienced fishers--- centrepin
Neophyte---levelwind
The very young ---- open faced spinning

For salmon single action all the way, more fun. The only boats I seem to ever see trolling with levelwinds in BC are US boats.

I use the mooching reels because I feel like I have that much more of a connection with the fish while fighting it. You know, If I don't have my wits about me the fish has a chance to fight back. Every now and then I underestimate my opponent and crack a couple knuckles. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way!

Each reel has its best application. While centre pin for rivers is a personal preference, it is a less productive method of covering water and getting as many drifts in as possible in an set time period. Level winds will always outperform here. The advantage a centre pin can offer is the ability to continue drifts in deadslow gator water. For me, the feeling I have using a CP in the flow is more of a connection to the river.

On the brine, knuckle busters all the way for salmon, but I'll be damned if I am going to be forced to use the same for bottom fishing ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, and use a pair of centrepins, that being said, I do have a spinning reel with 12lb mono for pink season, and a Levelwind with 80# for Jigging, but I use it as another salmon reel when it's slow and I want more lines in the water...

But there's nothing like taking the drag down to almost 0 on a centrepin and palming a nice big spring...

Salmon.....in BC....moochers period.

South of the 49th and the Great Lakes seems to be different.

Not sure this would be the "second biggest debate"?? ;) Seeing a level wind in a rod holder while trolling is leaning WAY more to the 'uncommon' end of the spectrum. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at a marina all summer, (Gulf islands) and I saw close to 50/50 come in, and everybody had their reasons,

so concerning trolling gear, I stand by my analogy.

i run level wind reels. Switched over after a finger incident with a charter client 20 years ago and ive never gone back. IMO, Fish are in quicker and are less fatigued after the hook up. Might not be as exciting as the "knuckle-buster" but it is what it is.

I worked at a marina all summer, (Gulf islands) and I saw close to 50/50 come in, and everybody had their reasons,

so concerning trolling gear, I stand by my analogy.

Interesting! Not discounting it at all, I notice locally in Vancouver very few...same with out on the WCVI unless bottom fishing.

Centerpin all the way , my first reel when I was a kid for river fishing was an Avon then to a silex.
On the boat that's all I have , islanders, trophys and I just picked up a couple amundsons to try. There is no rush
like getting spooled and having your knuckles beat up .

Centerpin all the way , my first reel when I was a kid for river fishing was an Avon then to a silex.
On the boat that's all I have , islanders, trophys and I just picked up a couple amundsons to try. There is no rush
like getting spooled and having your knuckles beat up .

A Mooching reel may have a pin, but a Centerpin reel, is different than a mooching reel. CPs are for short floating rivers, mooching reels for trolling, cut plugging or for trolling big Interior lakes.

And it is a myth, a stereotype that neophytes and newbs use levelwinds and spinning reels. Levelwinds and spinning reels work great in many scenarios salt or fresh.

I have on levelwind that I bring for people that have never used a mooching reel before. the wife caught her first salmon on it in nootka sound (22lb). then once that was out of the way it went in the cuddy.
on the other hand I had a flat lander whole spent her whole life in moose jaw bring in her first salmon on a islander m3 (14lb). it was funny as all hell. never seen someone reel soooo slow, I think the fish didn't know it was hooked tell it felt the bunk on the head.

On the other hand I had a flat lander whole spent her whole life in moose jaw bring in her first salmon on a islander m3 (14lb). it was funny as all hell. never seen someone reel soooo slow, I think the fish didn't know it was hooked tell it felt the bunk on the head.

Haha, I was fishing in a derby for winter Spring with my Grandfather, who in all fairness probably hadn't caught a salmon within the last 2 decades.. But it was a nice 14lber he got it up to the boat, and it changed its mind... My grandfather not knowing he had to let go of the reel hurt his knuckle, and we lost the fish... Pain in the backside too, because it could have well been a winner.

Back