Launching at Goldriver?

Nimrod

Looking for some help from some experienced Nootka Sound fishers. I have a 30 ft Grady with twin 300 outboards on a pod. Any advice on how much water I would need to safely launch and retrieve my boat would be greatly appreciated? Any updates on the condition of the ramp would also be great. Tight lines.

Just came back from Nootka, had to retrieve an hour after low tide of 0. 3 meters when the tide was almost 1 meter. I have 22 ft Grady with single Yami 225 so my draft is probably a little less than yours. I'd guess you will need at least a full 1 meter to launch and retrieve IF your are careful and go slowly. 1.5 meters and you can launch with ease. As for the docks, they are metal and new, on both sides of the ramp. The hole in the middle of the concrete ramp end is still there so if you use the middle, take care not to get one of your wheels in it or your boat will get off kilter when the wheel drops in and that side of the boat floats again. Saw it happen to another boat when I was waiting. In low tide, with your boat, I'd launch on the left side (facing the water) and stay just left of center. If you are coming in, stay to right of center as the left (the sea plane side) is shallower even after you past the seaplane dock. The famous rock on the left at the seaplane dock is still there There is a high spot in the middle of the waterway just at the end of the seaplane dock, so stay just right of center and you should be fine. Look down to see bottom and adjust accordingly. Good luck! BTW, they are charging $15 to launch and $15/day to park in fenced lot.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Also, appreciate the parking info. Hope you had a great trip and caught some fish as well.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Also, appreciate the parking info. Hope you had a great trip and caught some fish as well.

I agree with Tailwalker- a very good synopsis of the launch and tides required! I have a podded 24 Orca and I look for 6 feet--I have done it in much less but it is not a "comfortable" feeling.

Back