Latest From David Korsch

Dogbreath

PREDATOR'S PEN Date: March 30th/2006.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Spring is definitely in the air! Looking out over a flat calm Georgia St. the past couple days has really been hard to take since I wasn't out there taking advantage of perfect conditions. Thrasher Rock was beckoning me, as was the hump off South Bowen.......I really hate to miss out on such beautiful conditions. When the water is that flat, I really don't care what the fishing is like. It is just nice to be out there.

As for the fishing, we are quickly switching gears from the "winter" fishery to the "springtime" fishery. The plankton has started blooming (by late last week), and that is always the indication that it is time to move away from my favorite winter haunts along the West side of Bowen, and start looking out off Southern Bowen Island. The last two or three years has seen the South Bowen fishery really get hopping BEFORE the middle of April. While it is very hard to predict exactly when the South Bowen fishery will be really hot, it always seems to occur between the 1st and 2nd week of April. Looking ahead at the moon and tides, I see the mid-month full moon phase being the likely time for this fishery's hottest action. Between the 10th and 15th of April, we have good morning ebb tides (the best tide for fishing the "hump" off Southern Bowen), the moon will be full (always a more active time for fish), and the time of the month should be about right (looking at the timing of the best fishing in past years).

There seems to always be a few days of iffy fishing as water conditions change from clear winter water to murky springtime water, but once the blooms have occurred the fish seem to suddenly be out off South Bowen in large numbers. In the past few years, the fishing has been better earlier in April rather than later in the month, and again this has something to do with the plankton blooms. By late in April, the blooms have been so thick the algae has been sticking to our gear - even the hooks. When it is that thick, the fishing seems to slow; therefore, it is best to get out there before that happens.

There have been far more "just undersized" Chinook around this winter than we have seen for a few years, and this leads me to believe we will see a very good springtime Chinook fishery. All we will need is a bit of cooperation from the weather (relatively calm conditions), and I think we should see some excellent Chinook fishing beginning about the end of April's first week.......next weekend?!?!

In addition to the South Bowen fishery, Hole in the Wall is also a good bet at this time of year, and it has begun to produce regularly during the past couple weeks. The mouth of the Capilano River has also been really good, but seals are now an issue in this area. The QB/Jericho/Bell Buoy area has consistently been the best area during the past month, but seals are a real problem here, and some days all you land are several Chinook heads - frustrating to say the least!

Thrasher Rock is also a great option at this time of year. While the traditional "hottest time" is May/June, I have had excellent days over at Thrasher anytime between February and July. 2006 is also the year that will mark the return of 3-year-old Chinook from that excellent Chinook fishery off Porteau Cove (July 2003). In subsequent years I have actually had better results up there in May/June (especially early May) than in July, so it is also time to begin looking in this area for the first of the Squamish fish returning.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com

Back