Ladysmith Prawning

Oglthorpe

Hey guys,

I am new to fishing the Ladysmith area. I was just wondering if anybody knows of any areas I could try to drop my prawn traps. I know Porlier and Tent are good spots, but I was wondering if there is anything closer to home, with gas prices like they are.

Oglthorpe

Save your gas. The commercials have absolutly decimated the prawn population out there! They won't quit until every last prawn has been caught! I would't be suprised to see a closure for us sporties again this winter due to low female counts. Now how the heck could that happen??(DFO wonders to themselves).
Now that I'm finished my rampage...Just look on a chart and usually any cliff face will produce prawns at the 70 meter line. The steeper the better. There are some underwater reefs directly out from Ladysmith harbour mouth halfway to Thetis that do pretty well.
I should start to get better again by September.

I have seen some traps set in areas off of Bare point off Chemainus.
Have also seen some traps farther north in between Thetis and Chemainus.
I have had pretty bad results lately as have a few friends. Either it IS the commercial SoBs or............ probably them.

a buddy went out off tent on the weekend, 6 sets, 4 traps, 30 prawns total [B)]

The "commercial SOB's" have been at it for a month and a half. What do you expect?Do your sport fishing in April if you want good results.

dfo won't be happy till they have nothing to manage like the east coast

Back