kyuquot Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB59

Haven't seen any reports From Kyuquot yet going the first of July any insight would be great

Went out June 17-20 and got 8 springs - biggest was 20 lbs but average around 12. Lingcod fishing was amazing, we got four small halibut but some big ones were coming in.

Sounds great ! Will be there next Friday. It will be our first time there ! Where is a good spot to start ?

Hi I got a leh draw for fall elk in area 112
I've never been to the area so in August I'm planning to do a fishing trip in the area I'll be launching in fair harbor in a 16' open lund. I would like to fish that area as I will be checking out the tahsish river and seeing if I can boat up it for the fall hunting. Anyone with input would be greatly appreciated.

I've never been to the area so in August I'm planning to do a fishing trip in the area I'll be launching in fair harbor in a 16' open lund. I would like to fish that area as I will be checking out the tahsish river and seeing if I can boat up it for the fall hunting. Anyone with input would be greatly appreciated.
I used to live in Kyuquot. We tried taking a 12' cartopper up the Tahsish River once, and only got about 50 yards or so up from the salt, before it got way too skinny. With summer drought now, I doubt you could even get that far upstream.

Regarding fishing and hunting in that watershed, there is now the Tahsish Ecological Reserve, which prohibits fishing and hunting. Have a look here: https://bcparks.ca/tahsish-river-ecological-reserve/
I don't hunt, but I assume the open area for your elk is outside the reserve.

Bring two spare tires for your drive to Fair Harbour. Sharp gravel on those backroads!

I used to live in Kyuquot. We tried taking a 12' cartopper up the Tahsish River once, and only got about 50 yards or so up from the salt, before it got way too skinny. With summer drought now, I doubt you could even get that far upstream.

Regarding fishing and hunting in that watershed, there is now the Tahsish Ecological Reserve, which prohibits fishing and hunting. Have a look here: https://bcparks.ca/tahsish-river-ecological-reserve/
I don't hunt, but I assume the open area for your elk is outside the reserve.

Bring two spare tires for your drive to Fair Harbour. Sharp gravel on those backroads

Thanks for the reply.
I plan on boating past the ecological reserve for the fall hunt end of October beginning of November, maybe with the rain the river will be high enough to boat up? Thanks for the suggestion on two spare tires I've heard that from a few guys and will be buying another spare just because of that.
Do you know if there's any salmon fishing around fair harbor I'll be going there in August/September time for a scouting mission for the fall hunt and would like to do some salmon fishing if there's any around close.
Thanks,

It's not a very big river, so I don't know if it'll have enough water even in the fall for boating up from Kyuquot Sound. The upper Tahsish R. might be accessible by logging road west off Hwy. 19 towards and past Atluck Lake, but I've never explored that route. But then you'd miss an ocean boating adventure.
I don't know how salmon fishing is around Fair Harbour, because I only fished in the open ocean, outside of the village of Kyuquot (commerical trolling). But August and September (especially August) is salmon time out in the open ocean.
If you wanted to try the open ocean, you could run west out of Fair Harbour out to Kyuquot village, and see how the weather is. If it's calm, your 16' Lund would be okay, if you stuck close to the village island. I've heard that sport fishers sometimes drop lines even just just outside of Kyuquot harbour. But commercial trolling, we always ran a ways out to sea, to intercept the main runs of salmon running down the outside of Vancouver Island. The good old days, decades ago, before sport fishermen and kayakers discovered the area!
I wish you good luck on your trip! Wish I was still young enough to do a trip like that.
By the way, I had two flats driving into Fair Harbour once or twice. Luckily by that time, old timers in Kyuquot had advised me to carry two spares. As far as I know, Fair Harbour is still just a wharf, ramp, and parking lot. No services.

It's not a very big river, so I don't know if it'll have enough water even in the fall for boating up from Kyuquot Sound. The upper Tahsish R. might be accessible by logging road west off Hwy. 19 towards and past Atluck Lake, but I've never explored that route. But then you'd miss an ocean boating adventure.
I don't know how salmon fishing is around Fair Harbour, because I only fished in the open ocean, outside of the village of Kyuquot (commerical trolling). But August and September (especially August) is salmon time out in the open ocean.
If you wanted to try the open ocean, you could run west out of Fair Harbour out to Kyuquot village, and see how the weather is. If it's calm, your 16' Lund would be okay, if you stuck close to the village island. I've heard that sport fishers sometimes drop lines even just just outside of Kyuquot harbour. But commercial trolling, we always ran a ways out to sea, to intercept the main runs of salmon running down the outside of Vancouver Island. The good old days, decades ago, before sport fishermen and kayakers discovered the area!
I wish you good luck on your trip! Wish I was still young enough to do a trip like that.
By the way, I had two flats driving into Fair Harbour once or twice. Luckily by that time, old timers in Kyuquot had advised me to carry two spares. As far as I know, Fair Harbour is still just a wharf, ramp, and parking lot. No services.
Fair Harbor has a great launch, gas dock nice store ,showers, bathrooms wifi at the store bait ,ice pretty nice set up actually.

Fair Harbor has a great launch, gas dock nice store ,showers, bathrooms wifi at the store bait ,ice pretty nice set up actually.
Also a campsite and a couple cabins to rent.

Don’t quote me but I think the inside waters of Kyuquot Sound close July 15 to all fin fishing. At least they have historically. Might want to check that before going.

My wife and I just returned home from another great trip to Kyuquot which seems to be becoming an annual adventure. Great fishing and fabulous weather! Heard reports of someone waterskiing out there. Road was mostly good if not great, just rough in some sections which slowed us down a bit. Lots of fish around. Fished small spoons and hootchies which both produced. Lots of small bait around. Sea Otters were eating squid at Spring. Spring Island was a bit slower than in the past for us but some people reported a good evening bite. We also fished Thornton and just outside Lookout Island along tide lines and near the bottom in 130 plus feet of water. Picked up a few Hali and Ling. Play by the rules! Saw DFO chase a boat down that suddenly vacated the reef and headed in at 9am after they started checking boats. DFO was on their boat for at least a hour. Whales, porpoises, sun fish, blue sharks all added to the experience. Caught and released 3 big skates! Some swimming, paddle boarding, and a beach day at Rugged Point. Thanks to Scott and his team for processing our fish at Slam Bang and to the Kyuquot Inn for the accommodation.

My wife and I just returned home from another great trip to Kyuquot which seems to be becoming an annual adventure. Great fishing and fabulous weather! Heard reports of someone waterskiing out there. Road was mostly good if not great, just rough in some sections which slowed us down a bit. Lots of fish around. Fished small spoons and hootchies which both produced. Lots of small bait around. Sea Otters were eating squid at Spring. Spring Island was a bit slower than in the past for us but some people reported a good evening bite. We also fished Thornton and just outside Lookout Island along tide lines and near the bottom in 130 plus feet of water. Picked up a few Hali and Ling. Play by the rules! Saw DFO chase a boat down that suddenly vacated the reef and headed in at 9am after they started checking boats. DFO was on their boat for at least a hour. Whales, porpoises, sun fish, blue sharks all added to the experience. Caught and released 3 big skates! Some swimming, paddle boarding, and a beach day at Rugged Point. Thanks to Scott and his team for processing our fish at Slam Bang and to the Kyuquot Inn for the accommodation.g
Great report thanks. Headed up on the 13th for the first time, can’t wait. Slam bang packed and processed fish for you?

Reactions: rbv
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back