Know anything about Saanich Inlet?

Highliner

Does anyone know anything about fishing in Saanich Inlet this time of year? Around Brentwood? Are there any Salmon to be had? Any tips or advice would be great!

Thanks.

well I used to fish there A LOT about 10 years ago - very limited oppertunities but late august and sept seemed to be best. I always fished mill bay, wain rock area but I've also caught springs at the mouth of tod inlet so its possible to catch fish around brentwood, just not likely.

I did hear one report on here about 1000's of chum jumping around mill bay area and also coho out in satellite channel - backed up from the lack of rain no doubt.

I remember fishing there growing up. I am not that old so that would only be about 10 years ago.

We used to get fish everytime we went out. If I remember correctly there used to be a good bait fishery in there but as usually happens it got over fished. The bait dissapeared and with it went the salmon who would hang around.

You might get lucky and pick one up but it certainly isn't a hot spot for salmon.

Try trolling Whiskey Point to Hatch Point for winters.(watch for crab pots).
Deep Cove is good for winters.Nice flat bottom. Tough for bait though due to lots of flounders but I have got them there up to 18# in november/december through to april.
Also done good for feeders in front of bamberton.

Fishing anywhere in the Saanich Inlet, used to be some of the best around, 20 years ago and earlier. Problem was, because of the great sheltered waters and close proximity to people, the fishery was decimated due to gross over fishing and has never come back. Its a miracle there is even a run into Goldstream these days. Very few people fish there anymore simply because the fish are gone, relative to the numbers on the west side of the island. That said, there are always closure areas so if you insist on fishing the Saanich inlet check the DFO website. Once you fish places like Renfrew or Barkley sound for example, the Saanich Inlet looks like the dead sea. A similar thing happened off Victoria's waterfront. I have heard many stories from the old timers of when you could go off esquimalt lagoon and watch the sea boil with coho, they where everywhere; now they don't run up Esquimalt harbor or millstream creek anymore. However, if you like to prawn the inlet is great. Try 230' of water just about anywhere and you'll get a load.

quote:A similar thing happened off Victoria's waterfront. I have heard many stories from the old timers of when you could go off esquimalt lagoon and watch the sea boil with coho, they where everywhere; now they don't run up Esquimalt harbor or millstream creek anymore. However, if you like to prawn the inlet is great. Try 230' of water just about anywhere and you'll get a load.

somewhat off topic but,
Vic waterfront still has a decent winter fishery for feeders from
5-20 lbs.the nice thing is that you don't need to fish bait...
spoons ,squirts and hootchies will do it.
December thru end of March when the herring run peaks !

Was out in the inlet yesterday. On the west side of Saltspring Island there were thousands of Chum jumping. They were everywere. Hard to catch though because they weren't bitting. Wow, one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Highliner

Yowzaa!!!
There was a mother load of chum salmon jumping all along the south west tip of Saltspring Island today.
I went on the Victoria Power Squadron training cruise today (gotta get legal).
There were many many fish and only one boat fishing. You could see them up close. Red and dark. Not chrome bright. If anyone ever figures out the secret to getting these fish to bite..............

Back