Kitty Coleman 2013 reports

I always ask every spring before I kill it if it is of cowichan river origin because I do want to protect the run. Not one has said yes.

Chances are low that you may have caught a Cowichan springs but for 2012 area 14 reported 10 CWT tags. Out of those 10, 2 were caught at kitty. At least that is what the speadsheet that I have says. Those with sharp eyes might see an error in this data but you get the point. Oh and one of those springs was turned in by me.

RecDateGearCatchRegionCdCatchRegionStatAreaSportSiteNameSportSiteCode
2012/04/117GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14TRIBUNE BAYTRIB BY
2012/05/057GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14SENTRY SHOALSSENT SH
2012/05/087GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14TRIBUNE BAYTRIB BY
2012/05/267GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14KITTY COLEMAN BEACHKITT BE
2012/06/127GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14FRENCH CREEKFREN CR
2012/06/037GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14KITTY COLEMAN BEACHKITT BE
2012/07/057GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14HORNBY ISLANDHORN IS
2012/07/067GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14BAYNES SOUNDBAYN SD
2012/07/227GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14SANGSTER ISLAND PPFMA 14SANG IS
2012/07/067GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14SENTRY SHOALSSENT SH
2012/07/157GSPTCGeorgia Strait Sport Central14SALMON POINTSALM PT

Do you have other areas available? Is it possible to see were these tagged fish are being caught? Should start another thread and list coded catches for 2012. It would be an interesting read. I'd think areas 17-20 and 28 and 29 would be the heavy hitters to the hatchery stocks.

Do you have other areas available? Is it possible to see were these tagged fish are being caught? Should start another thread and list coded catches for 2012. It would be an interesting read. I'd think areas 17-20 and 28 and 29 would be the heavy hitters to the hatchery stocks.
Fire up a thread and I'll post what I have for 2012. I have the data from all areas.

Yes at is interesting data couldn't find it just spent two days looking at hake still can't decide

Anyone have anything good to report lately? Spent the afternoon battling the wind yesterday afternoon with nothing but small springs to the boat. Wind died down later in the day and was a beauty evening on the water. Lots of boats headed to Kitty for the evening from Comox, anyone catch anything or are all the fish down island?

I got a message saying of 21 boats surveyed by creel person at Comox Marina yesterday only one boat came in with a fish.

I want to get out. But can't find anyone to go today yet.

Made my first run out to the famous Kitty Coleman hump yesterday. Ran out from Comox Harbour and had no trouble finding it as there is a a bit of a fleet out there. Fished from about 8:30 am to 1:00pm. We got into quite a few Cohos ( managed 2 hatchery fish) but no Chinook for us. All our fish were around 130 to 150 ft deep. A friend from work managed a small Chinook in his boat. All in all a pretty good first run out for me, nice day, not too lumpy and a bit of action!
Alan

Anyone have anything good to report lately? Spent the afternoon battling the wind yesterday afternoon with nothing but small springs to the boat. Wind died down later in the day and was a beauty evening on the water. Lots of boats headed to Kitty for the evening from Comox, anyone catch anything or are all the fish down island?

Its been decent KatieB usually the evening bite has been more productive over the past week, it has slowed down a bit since Mon,Tues,Wed you have to put your time in and search for the fish they a moving around pretty good right now. Good Luck and see ya out there.

https://www.facebook.com/cccharters.ca

I could use that to keep my hair dry..... Thanks,

Might have to apply that to my boat as well before heading out. Won't have to clean it when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it out last night water sure was muddy looking water but flat. There must of been a storm pass thru..:) Fishing sure was slow. Seen some warriors netting tiny fish ( Small Coho Maybe but way to small) other then that it was dead. Fished 4:30 till 9

That was not bait you saw Todd likely more junior coho. We are out here right now bait on the sounder. Water has cleared up a bit. Hoping to see some action.

I don't think it's to much fun dredging threw multiple coho looking for a clipped fin. DFO has to allow at least two coho of any sort to alleviate the slaughter of small released coho. Get your two and leave it alone. Having said that how did you make out there FA?;) eman

Eaglemaniac-- match your gear to the size of the prey. Get out the casting gear... You seem to have forgotten the fun that coho gave us 20 yrs ago!!! Go with single barbless 2 1/2 in buzzbombs..... Its all good, even if you cant keep a unclipped fish.

Hey Cuba: Knowing your background and all the work you have done for wild salmon, I'm a little disturbed that your supporting a catch as many wilds to catch your hatcheries.;) eman

There were couple catching fish today. Not hot by any means but most people at one point had fish on.

Got to love watching people cleaning their black gummed coho at the cleaning table. :( Some day they will learn..

Not Kitty but....fishing at Grant Reefs has been good lately. Tubbed out this morning and Friday morning as well. Coho are there too but a good mix of springs as well.

Back