Kicker Advice

yam 6hp , adjust the throw on the linkage and put a 8hp high thrust prop on it.
my set up on the ol trophy.
Didn't quite understand - what did you do to the linkage? Also, I was looking at the yamaha but wasn't clear on the types of props they use. I thought the 6hp props were those old style ones held in place with a shear/cotter pin rather than a castle nut. I thought this might limit prop setup.

If I can get a yamaha 6hp with a high thrust / low pitch prop, that would be a nice option - these come up for sale fairly often versus the Tohatsu.

Didn't quite understand - what did you do to the linkage? Also, I was looking at the yamaha but wasn't clear on the types of props they use. I thought the 6hp props were those old style ones held in place with a shear/cotter pin rather than a castle nut. I thought this might limit prop setup.

If I can get a yamaha 6hp with a high thrust / low pitch prop, that would be a nice option - these come up for sale fairly often versus the Tohatsu.
it was long time ago, new in 2006 maybe. so i see that in images the prop is done with the cotter pin and cone now. .. from memory, the one i had was not. the cost was lower for the 6hp, really it was an 8hp just tuned down. the linkage for the carb was easy to adjust to get more throw to open it up more. the 8 prop fit also. probably not the case now as it looks.

Figured I'd post an update. Based on what I was looking for, I was hoping to get a Tohatsu Sailpro 6 - Right gearing, right prop, etc. Anyway, I go to buy it and discover that its only available in white - they no longer sell the dark grey/dark motor. It would just look too weird. I looked at getting the Suzuki, but in the end the prop was just too tiny - looked like a little egg beater next to the high thrust prop.

Anyway, backup plan - Mercury 6hp which is supposedly identical to the Tohatsu. Unfortunately they don't sell it out of the box with the High Thrust prop, so I've got to buy that separately. A bit annoying, but so be it. The only other annoyance is that the mercury can only be stored in one position, whereas the Tohatsu can be stored in three positions. I didn't realize this, and its actually super annoying. If you can - go with the Tohatsu for that reason alone. What would have been really sweet would have been to find an Evinrude 6hp from 4-5 years ago. It was actually a re-badged Tohatsu/merc and would have matched up perfectly.

So here's the installed motor. Mounted up nicely - decent clearance from the main. I went with a Long Shaft, but in retrospect the Short shaft probably would have given lots of bite based on the pod/swim grid. Next step is to locate/buy a high thrust prop and then look into a tie bar setup.

Plan is working out perfectly: took the boat out on Sunday. With a backup motor, Main works flawlessly.

Any hints on how to theft proof my install? There are no permanent mounting bolt holes in the clamp bracket. Right now, I'm taking it off every time.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
drill through the pod, install with nuts and bolts. double nutted and a small weld tacking them nuts together.

lol. you had the option to buy mine but whatever.
i had secured mine with a mastercraft tumbler lock through the two twist locks and a cable lock. about as secure as you want to get. i wouldnt drill through or bolt on the motor. thieves will cut through your transom if they want to get at it and its best the motor just gets a cable cut and lock cut instead of transom damage with a chainsaw. a simple bike cable lock and a lock through the turning handles is all you need. dont make it hard to steal, just hard enough to deter a casual thief.

lol. you had the option to buy mine but whatever.
i had secured mine with a mastercraft tumbler lock through the two twist locks and a cable lock. about as secure as you want to get. i wouldnt drill through or bolt on the motor. thieves will cut through your transom if they want to get at it and its best the motor just gets a cable cut and lock cut instead of transom damage with a chainsaw. a simple bike cable lock and a lock through the turning handles is all you need. dont make it hard to steal, just hard enough to deter a casual thief.
Ha - I was regretting passing up on yours when I saw those blindingly white Sailpros (I assume yours was one of the older/dark ones). Anyway, my list of mistakes/errors is long and expanding.

PS - That makes solid sense about using a basic lock - better to lose the motor than risk real damage.

Back