Keeping the Boat Dry?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mikiki
  • Start date Start date
M

Mikiki

I have put my boat to bed for a few months, and seem to be having a problem with dampness inside the boat. I have a fan blowing through, but still damp. I was thinking a heater or a heat lamp, but thought that that might create more dampness. I have no room to put one of those temporary sheds over it:(. Any ideas would be much appreciared. Thanks.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Put one of those Dri-Z-Air crystal holders in there. You can get them at CrapTire or any RV place. Check it evey few weeks, dump out the water and add new crystals. You can also put a 100watt light bulb in there (like a trouble light) just make sure it won't fall on you upholstery. A guy at work used to put an armload of bonedry cedar shakes in his cuddy to soak up any remaining moisture and make it smell nice. Good luck.;)

Put one of those Dri-Z-Air crystal holders in there. You can get them at CrapTire or any RV place. Check it evey few weeks, dump out the water and add new crystals. You can also put a 100watt light bulb in there (like a trouble light) just make sure it won't fall on you upholstery. A guy at work used to put an armload of bonedry cedar shakes in his cuddy to soak up any remaining moisture and make it smell nice. Good luck.;)

If going with a light bulb, which actually helps, use a 'heavy duty' bulb, e.g., one for a trouble light, and not your standard household bulb. Lasts longer, less subseptible to failure.
I usually hang a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb in the boat under the tarp.

If going with a light bulb, which actually helps, use a 'heavy duty' bulb, e.g., one for a trouble light, and not your standard household bulb. Lasts longer, less subseptible to failure.
I usually hang a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb in the boat under the tarp.

I use one an air dryer like this one on my 21 walkaround. Been using it for almost 10 years and it works great. Never had a moisture problem during the winters. There's no fire hazard as it doesn't get hot, just warm. Very low energy usage too. Just set it and forget it.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245832/377%20710%201663/0/Dehumidifiers,%20Air%20Purifiers/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201663&Ne=0&Ntt=Dehumidifiers,%20Air%20Purifiers&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

I use one an air dryer like this one on my 21 walkaround. Been using it for almost 10 years and it works great. Never had a moisture problem during the winters. There's no fire hazard as it doesn't get hot, just warm. Very low energy usage too. Just set it and forget it.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245832/377%20710%201663/0/Dehumidifiers,%20Air%20Purifiers/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201663&Ne=0&Ntt=Dehumidifiers,%20Air%20Purifiers&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

Thanks for the info. I will try all of these except the ceramic space heater (the spinning of the hydro meter makes me dizzy)[xx(]. I will check around for one of those dehumidifiers and get some Dri-Z-Air crystals as well. Again thank you all.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Thanks for the info. I will try all of these except the ceramic space heater (the spinning of the hydro meter makes me dizzy)[xx(]. I will check around for one of those dehumidifiers and get some Dri-Z-Air crystals as well. Again thank you all.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Just a note about the Dri-Z-Air. If you happen to spill the water on anything, flush with clean water et. Its extremely caustic. We dumped some down the sink of our camper and it ate everything.

Just a note about the Dri-Z-Air. If you happen to spill the water on anything, flush with clean water et. Its extremely caustic. We dumped some down the sink of our camper and it ate everything.

Thanks Brisco, I will use extreem caution when getting rid of it.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Thanks Brisco, I will use extreem caution when getting rid of it.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Yeah, I forgot to tell you, it's best to put the Dri-Z-Air crystal holder in an old icecream bucket in case it overflows.

Yeah, I forgot to tell you, it's best to put the Dri-Z-Air crystal holder in an old icecream bucket in case it overflows.

Back