Kamloops lake chinook

I remember one year when the salmon were late to show up here. Had a buddy living in Boston Bar call me and tell me they were moving through. A week to the day later I was standing on the Shuswap river bank and a school of springs came racing by. They were jumping out of the water like dolphins. Never saw anything like it before or since.
The first rain in September on the coast (Van Isle for me) is magical if you're in the right spot. Waves of chinook crest and recede as they launch themselves into the river. It's a sight to see. They're magnificent creatures.

As a long time ocean salmon fisherman and Streamkeeper, I won’t fish for them once they’ve reached the fresh water on their way back home. I‘ve seen too many people walking through creeks/rivers disturbing salmon redds trying to reach deep pools to find the ”big ones”. These fish run the gauntlet from beginning to end, I just think they should be left alone at the end.
My 2 Cents
Stosh

Heading out to Kamloops lake to try out for chinook in fresh water I’m used to fishing for these in the Chuck. How is the run so far size and abundance. What is the best time of the day Any info would be appreciated.
Tight lines
Some folks go to the end of the lake at Savona and anchor in the entrance to the river at the limit markers. Then bounce a river type setup with an egg weight and a chrome/brass spoon downstream 100-150 ft into the river proper and let it hold there.

My one experience with this concept yielded frequent hookups, but few successful hook sets. Landed one low 20s beauty out of dozens of hits. Most fish were off in the first 10 seconds. Nonetheless a very pleasant way to spend a day.

Back