Just arrived in Sooke Harbour Resort and...

A

ashtonspoutine

my boat is in the water. I would like to know what type of set up I should use to catch pinks.

What flasher? Hoochie color or bait? And what depth?

Sorry if these are rookie questions but I just moved to BC in march and for the past few years Ive been dreaming about catching salmon. Its not something the fishermen out in NY talk about.

But today is the day I will land my first salmon!!!!!!!

I hope.

Thanks to all.

Do a search on here for "Pinks" - it was recently discussed.

Googly eyed thing or pink squirt behind a red hot spot @ between 20-60 feet. Start at Secretary and troll to the states till you start hitting them. Then do figure 8's in that area. 500 - 550 feet of water.

well...

Didnt catch even a pink. I was trolling at 50 feet with one 'berkley' flasher (greenish silver) and anchovies. I saw lots of fish at that depth on the depth finder but no bites:(.

Maybe tomorrow.

drop your gear to 90', and go deeper until you get a hit.
the hot combination for me was "big jimmy"
(purple haze flasher and hootchie)
Don't bother with bait, once you find the fish they will bite
on hootchies and spoons

thanks craven. gonna be on the water in a couple of hours and Ill try what you said.

thanks

Hmm, have they gone deeper? In the 2 times I've been out targeting them, I have had all the action from 40' to 90' (around the 500-520' contours). The hottest has been 65-90' but I just move up and down in that range until I get action. Just can't go wrong with the red hotspot and the pink squirt with skirt...also did great with the mint tulip hootchie and plaid flasher, and at least that way, you have a chance of hooking a spring too.

Just remember to troll a little faster (3-3.5mph) and have shorter leaders - around 3'.

YES!!! YES!!!

Finally caught a salmon! 2 pinks. We hooked up to 5 but are quite incompetent with a net.

Might not sound like a banner day for you guys but man did it put a smile on my face!!
Now Im gonna bbq them, drink some beers and enjoy my first ever salmon catch.

well done ashton,, you are doomed now my freind there is no turning back it only gets worse [:p] [:p] [:p] next you will be skipping work to go,, then lying to loved ones,, then selling off things to pay for you're habit ;) ;) ;) its not a pretty life my freind...

Congrats, Ashton.

Glad to here you finally got yourself your first Salmon. Nothing tastes better than fresh fish that you caught yourself, enjoy. Wish you continued success.

Walleyes is right Ashton,better quit now,you'll want the more powerful fish next,I've seen it happen a hundred times.Good for you!DAN

Thanks guys. I think Im already addicted. Im planning my work day tomorrow around my fishing.

Is that bad?

Back