Indian Arm Chinook net pen project - historical info

I'm making a few inquires with DFO to see what I can dig up... then see what moving forward can or maybe be done.... I.perhaps the folks doing the double piping can cough up the money for such project?

If you can get a buy-in from the PSF, you might have a chance. They have a way of cutting through the DFO red tape and they are good at raising money
Cheers
Bryan ps-- it was sure much easier in "The good old days ! "

Personally I'd like to see Howe Sound returned to the days of massive Chinooks off Anvil Island, Halkett Point, Britannia Brach etc. 1,ooo, ooo red Chinook Smots released each year over 7 years should do it.... make it a catch and release fishery. That would be better.

I like Howe Sound as a destination as well. The issue is the Cap is going to be producing fish that are all going to stage in areas we won't be permitted to fish. If they're going to close the terminal fishery, then they need to spread those returning fish to other locations that are accessible..

If you can get a buy-in from the PSF, you might have a chance. They have a way of cutting through the DFO red tape and they are good at raising money
Cheers
Bryan ps-- it was sure much easier in "The good old days ! "

Thanks Bryan..may need to give u a call for some history up there.. were u working up there when they were doing the penning?

No-- that was an initiative of the DFO hatchery and Engineering SEP guys. At that time I was trying to figure out how to keep eggs alive in Bams Incubation boxes with the Spruce City Wildlife (Chinook ) and in Blue River (coho) . But I do remember a few guys that fished the powerhouse tail race area-- but not for springs----- SOCKEYE! Never amounted to much I was told..... But the feeling was that the returns were from kokanee that made it down the powerhouse/ our guess is as good as mine on how sockeye got into Buntzen Lake!~

A few salmon in net pens won't get a social license to double pipe Raw Bitumen.IMHO Also the Feds would want even less boats up in Indian arm not more. Take a look at the Washington Ferry Video.

i agree on the social license, but what? have you ever seen a tanker or a ferry up there? nonsense negativity wont get it done either.

There is a couple angles available here..I'm just waiting for a reply from the Gal at DFO so I can dig out what the Squamish and Indian arm were all about.. The Cap is about to become pretty much a displaced fishery... The Cap hatchery program will and must continue so perhaps some fishery can be done in other locations.... If and we can put something together ...we'll need some sort of committee.... but lets see if we can even get it off the ground.. I'll be making some phone call next week before the Christmas shut down... :)

.. The Cap is about to become pretty much a displaced fishery... The Cap hatchery program will and must continue so perhaps some fishery can be done in other locations... :)
I don't think we have given in to the Dirty Raw Bitumen Freeway in the Vancouver Harbour just because Nice Hair Tho Trudeau thinks it's a good idea. Why should we give up on the Cap fishery? Maybe the Pipeline proponents can put out some floating Sushi stations a couple of miles of shore because the unlimited catch of Tuna is pretty much about to become a displaced fishery as well.
Barring a massive change in how we fish, there won’t be any sushi left by 2048
http://qz.com/856652/barring-a-massive-change-in-how-we-fish-there-wont-be-any-sushi-left-by-2048/

and we shouldn't try for other fishery's ?? use to fish that fishery in the late 70's 80 and early 90's.. stopped fishing it when it became a shat show...more fishery's would spread it out ..Not a matter of giving up...its at its carrying capacity and you lost more area this season that u could fish already with expansion of the shipping lanes.. the is writing on the wall

right on guys ,
good on ya ,
nice to see some options , was alot of fun back then...
couldnt agree more on the cap fishery Deryk, dont even do the derby anymore ,

fd
Agree cap has way to many boats it's chaos not fun anymore. I didn't even fish it this year and don't plan to anymore. Too many idiots and too many close calls for my liking

I think he's referring to pleasure boats interfering with the tanker traffic. However, there is no commercial vessel traffic that far up Indian Arm. The Buntzen power house where any fish would stage is totally free from commercial traffic. No conflicts that far up the Arm, it is too remote.

I don't understand this post. Please explain.
Well the boats need to come up to the Indian Arm from somewhere with a lot passing right thru the first narrows where they don't want us anymore so cannot really see them support something that pulls even more traffic.

Terrin, you are right I guess the only way to access the arm is through the first narrows........LOFL

Ignorance must be bliss.

Big guy is right there would almost.no conflict. Lots of miles up the arm to hold a plethora of boats, a WAY better option than the shitshow off the Cap mouth.
Funny people even call it a fishery...

I could definitely see Sewells Marina in Horseshoe Bay wanting to contribute to enhancing runs in Howe Sound. They used to have a massive rental fleet back in the old days when the Bowen Isl and Howe Sound fisheries were still in great shape. I'm sure they'd love the chance to get that income back that they lost when those fisheries went downhill.

Terrin, you are right I guess the only way to access the arm is through the first narrows........LOFL

Ignorance must be bliss.

Big guy is right there would almost.no conflict. Lots of miles up the arm to hold a plethora of boats, a WAY better option than the shitshow off the Cap mouth.
Funny people even call it a fishery...
Well anybody coming from False Creek, Thunderbird or Sewells Marina or the only Public Boat ramp in Vancouver would have to go thru there. Unless your only refering to trailered boats. I'm sure Kinder Morgan would be happy to pay for the net pens but after the first spill in the Harbour not much will be living in the Indian Arm anyway. Not worth it but thats only my opinion. I grew up fishing the Cap and in the 80's there were a lot of boats fishing live bait on the West Van shorefront and trolling. Before I fished out of a boat we would get Seaworms and fish Dundarive Pier pulling up Flounder bigger than dinner plates. There was a fairly big spill of Bunker Oil that washed up on the Dundarive beaches resulting in no more Seaworms and the end of the Big Flounders. I got the fishing bug from my experiences there as a kid but I guess if you never knew what it was like you won't miss it anyway. If thats progress good luck with that.

Back