if you had 1 week to go fishing in bc......

Last chance excellent post couldnt agree more,the only thing I would change is #3 we call them "NIG NOGS" OR "WEEKEND WARRIORS" they re the ones that go out no matter what the conditions are like with an old motor that looked like it came over with columbus.
and wonder why they didnt catch any fish even when the pinks are running.

Wolf

quote:... those are some impressive numbers but you need to be more specific. How many boats does your business operate? Where do you fish? Was this Sooke or was this the Charlottes?...

Thanks for that :D

One boat, a 25' Sea Ray, the Dream Weaver. Areas of operation this year included the Alberni Inlet, Barkely Sound, Big Bank ( a LOT) and most of the inner Banks as well, and of course finished up the season over at Brown's Bay targetting chumlies for a few weeks.

Overall I'd say the inshore fishing was off considerabley from season's past. The far offshore Banks never ceased to deliver, with but the VERY odd day that didn't produce, and produce well. I won't get into details about the Bank fishery, as some of the numbers are hard to perceive to me, and Hell, I was there! Rather difficult to compare those fisheries with the ones you've mentioned. And of course, I was running HARD for weeks upon weeks straight (No rest for the wicked it seems!).

Lst Chance and Blue Orca's last posts hit the nail on the head IMHO.

tomtjt: Most years in October, there are many Island rivers that produce coho well. Unfortunately, this wasn't a 'normal' year in that regard, and the coho are still strangely lacking. Best bet would be to engage a boat, and head over to the Brown's Bay area (just North of Campbell River) and target silver-bright chums. A fun and exciting fishery for sure! And more consistent than any thing else on the Island this year in that particular time frame.

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Last chance excellent post couldnt agree more,the only thing I would change is #3 we call them "NIG NOGS" OR "WEEKEND WARRIORS" they re the ones that go out no matter what the conditions are like with an old motor that looked like it came over with columbus.
and wonder why they didnt catch any fish even when the pinks are running.

Thank you. I didn't want to jab at guys that go out in unsafe, rattly pieces of sh, er, um, "vintage equipment" to avoid the "you guys get all the non-existant fish because of your expensive stuff" argument.

Just spoke to Randy Mutch a fellow fisherman with many friends in Renfrew and he is just off the phone and his cousin reports that the San Juan Bay is alive with coho , very similar to Cowichan Bay right now , won't bite on anything ...........have we been all thinking on the wrong lines as to the lack of fish , specifically coho ? this year , climate changes obviously dictated a different than normal survival pattern for the clever little buggers!

Still musing on the strangeness of the year.

AL

quote:One boat, a 25' Sea Ray, the Dream Weaver. Areas of operation this year included the Alberni Inlet, Barkely Sound, Big Bank ( a LOT) and most of the inner Banks as well, and of course finished up the season over at Brown's Bay targetting chumlies for a few weeks.

I said it before and will say it again. Impressive numbers for one boat. I have decided to switch from anchovies and hootchies which I used heavily this year to surplus depth charges I picked up at a Army Navy store in Bellingham. I think I might even hit 1000 fish....just need to watch out for shrapnel when filleting.

Variable run timings close to shore definitely played havoc on fishing plans for many this year. Windy conditions kept a lot close to shore this summer as well. Last year was amazing Chinook fishing...the two years before that even better. I can see where some struggled this year. If had it to do over this year I would have booked my vacation salmon trips to Alaska or Northern BC as VI wasn't her normal self this season - not horrible but certainly not stellar like we all are used to experiencing. The serious salmon angers from my area that traveled north to northern VI and WCVI also mentioned it being a less the stellar year.

Similar story for Chinook in Oregon/Washington waters with most runs showing 30-45 days or so late (we are just now seeing Chinook showing in coastal rivers in any real numbers which is a good 45 days late). Spring run Chinook were also 45-60days late this summer. Further, Summer Chinook staging in local salt waters for fall runs were pretty much non-existent. Strong Northerly winds kept water temps 7-8 degrees below normal all summer, creating a bait free dead zone 0-15 miles offshore for all but couple of weeks in May. No bait - no salmon as it were.

Coho for us were the bright spot in an otherwise dismal summer with this year's runs weights nearly double the average and in good numbers.

Viking46 expressing his frustration at a rough season hit a bit of a sour note with some, but perhaps it would be better to offer support and assistance in place of confrontation. In our internet anonymity, I think were all are a bit quick to jump on man when he is down on his luck.

My 02 cents.

Good Post 5 Salt, the BC commercial guys are talking of identical observations of 6 weeks late, from the Charlottes right down the Coast. Many did not even finish a day of the Salmon openings due to low numbers and 5 mile from shore restrictions. This is the first year in the 20+ of fishing that i can remember it being a challenge to even hook one Coho at the end of September. I managed fair nmbers for Springs but it was a diffrent battle each day, easy one and a grind the next.
B.C waters are unmatched but this year the big Springs, 50 + were rare at best even in Prince Rupert/Charlottes area.That alone has brought many scratching their heads and back to the drawing board!

Hey guys!Long time lurker-first time poster.Awesome forum.have learned alot in the past few months.
I've only fished sooke for 8 years and i'm certainly no expert ,but I actually found this year more productive than last.managed to fluke into a few over 30 fish(didn't get one over 28 last year??)
Definatley upped my slabs per trip ratio from last year.NEVER caught so many sockeye (in sooke),for a while it was like a pink run.
IMHO an average year,untill the second week of september anyway when,as we all know,the usually plentiful coho became tradgically sparse.

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

Viking46 expressing his frustration at a rough season hit a bit of a sour note with some, but perhaps it would be better to offer support and assistance in place of confrontation. In our internet anonymity, I think were all are a bit quick to jump on man when he is down on his luck.

My 02 cents.

I think the attitude was not so much "I didn't get any fish", it was "Along over 27,000 KM of coastline, there are no fish". This site would probably be very supportive of him if the question was "I am doing this here and it is not working". That is what got us riled up.. Of course, doing the "walk of shame" up the dock ramp after a day of bad fishing is a hard thing to do, and can really get on some peoples nerves (Mine included [:p])

As far as the "walk of shame" goes , as you mature you see it in a different light .
You got out on the water and are still alive to appreciate the air , scenery and to enjoy other fisherman....... and you by this time have learned not to be envious of the other persons skills and luck but to sincerely congratulate them and to have the patience and wisdom to bide your time and to fish for what gives you pleasure not what appearances count for.
You can also learn to listen to those who are too long winded and are not ashamed of blowing their own bugle because in that torrent of words are usually some interesting facts........ if you are prepared to glean them out.
Just look to your own satisfaction ; leave others satisfaction requirements to them.

AL

That's deep!
Interesting that one person asks where to fish in October and it evolves into the philosophy of Zen and the art of fishing.
Not that this is a bad thing as it was getting too tense anyways.
oooohhhhmmmmmmm....

It's funny how when some people don't know how to catch fish properly will say the fishing is bad... Like said before it was a slow and off year this year but there were still lots of fish to be had...
We run in to the same thing up in northern Alberta hear with our Walleye fishing,,, we get alot of the weekend warriors out from the cities who watch too many t.v. shows on how to catch walleye. They come out fish for a weekend or week and catch no walleye,, they go home,, go to the big fishing supply stores tell their stories and where do you think the local media go for their fishing reports,, you guessed it,, the fishing shops. and then in return the goverment get their info from the bleeding heart media...
Well those of us in the know pretty much sit back and laugh,, hell let them think there are no walleye left,, maybe they will stay home... The truth is most of our lakes are loaded with walleye. Only bad thing is the goverment sets their quotas accordingly,,, oh well I eat all the fresh walleye I want or need..

And there my friend we agree!
In retrospect maybe I should have agreed with "Viking" and that then would be one less in the race !

All the best to you Walleye

AL

I am a new guy here, but I have learned tons in just reading this one topic! Kind of cool to read something other than those darn long liners and how they are destroying the fishery on the mainland! Thanks guys!:)

Back