How To Pick The Right Winch??

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Time to change up the winch on my trailer? Having a hard time deciding if I should go 2 speed or electric. Being I have a bad shoulder I was thinking electric but I don't want to be like the old guys wasting time of ours trailering my boat. They always seem loud and slow and always having issues which could be user error. So leads me to think 2 speed winch. Total over kill for my boat... Plus it may be slow but I should be able to manage on my own.

Any thoughts? Makes/Models
Tips?
Any used ones kicking around?

Have electric on mine and so far no issues. The winch came with the boat, but I would replace with another if it came to it.

I went power winch 5 years ago. I find it quicker in my case. You just need to get into the rhythm of how to be fast at it. Part of the trick is getting the cable pulled out the right length before you enter the water to re-load the boat. I prep my trailer in advance of getting on the ramp especially when re-loading. My boat fully loaded is 5000lbs plus or minus a few pounds. The 7500 lb max capacity winch I bought works fine. I bought it from SG Power in Victoria and installed it myself. Link for it is here;

http://www.iboats.com/Powerwinch-RC...20599637--session_id.868706923--view_id.49241

I would recommend replacing the wire cable on it with the new synthetic wire rope that is in the market today. It’s safer and lighter. It doesn't build up kinetic energy so if the cable breaks, it just drops to the ground and doesn't wrap itself around your neck (ouch). That costs about $ 150 to swap out. You can get "Master Pull" in Mount Vernon Washington to design build your cable.

I got a Fulton 2 speed, 2600 # delivered from Highliner trailers in Van, for about $110

http://highlinertrailers.com/Parts.asp

Crappytire advertised the same winch, but theirs was a knockoff, not a Fulton, and wasn't even 2 speed as advertised...

I had electric before, was a treat if you weren't in a hurry, but went through two of them before I went back to manual.

Time to change up the winch on my trailer? Having a hard time deciding if I should go 2 speed or electric. Being I have a bad shoulder I was thinking electric but I don't want to be like the old guys wasting time of ours trailering my boat. They always seem loud and slow and always having issues which could be user error. So leads me to think 2 speed winch. Total over kill for my boat... Plus it may be slow but I should be able to manage on my own.

Any thoughts? Makes/Models
Tips?
Any used ones kicking around?

Not sure how big your boat is ,but if you need 2 speed to get it up the trailer I would go electric. I can't remember the make of mine, got it at the chandler for around $350, 9000lbs . Have launched and hauled my boat (i think it weighs in at around 8000) many times by myself, very easy . Save your arms for winding in big slabs

I am reading sites today that talk about a battery on the trailer and charging it after 8-10 uses. Other guys use the 12v supply on their trucks 7 pin plug in to run the winch others use the same supply to charge the second battery on the trailer.

There are also wiring kits you can buy with a 60amp resettable breaker.

Called General Motors and asked questions and they said it could cause warranty problems. So this makes me worry.

I wired a 10 guage wire direct to my battery. I was told that clean power is essential to ensure you get a good pull. These motors draw high amps. I did it 2 years into the 5 year warranty on my Denali. I never had an issue and when I take the SUV in for service to GM they never mentioned a problem with it. I suspect if my wiring had issues they might say something.

How heavy is your boat Owen ?

Not sure... But it is heavy. It's a 16ft Silver Streak with a 90 Yamaha, a T8 and fully loaded. It's on a newer set of rollers but I am often dragging the boat onto the trailer as we normally beach launch. You need two good arms to retrieve to boat or the right tide.

I am leaning toward a two speed.

I have a 16ft open boat (whaler copy) on bunks, with a 60 and a 8hp kicker. Some of the sites I launch at have very shallow ramps and I have to winch the boat almost the full length of the trailer. Last year i bought a 9000b winch at a garage sale (10$), after fixing it up I mounted it on the trailer. Yes it is way overkill for my boat, but it now will pull the boat the length of the trailer, and my heart rate stays down, I can guide the boat onto the trailer and pull it on at the same time. I used 6ga wire with a 40amp circuit breaker from my battery to a Scotty plug in my bumper. Wouldn't go back.

Not sure... But it is heavy. It's a 16ft Silver Streak with a 90 Yamaha, a T8 and fully loaded. It's on a newer set of rollers but I am often dragging the boat onto the trailer as we normally beach launch. You need two good arms to retrieve to boat or the right tide.

I am leaning toward a two speed.

My boat seems similar to yours, 17 lifetimer, 90 hp, kicker plus gear. We have pretty crappy launches and I have to winch the boat on often. I'm on my second 2 speed winch and it so much better than the single speed I had before. I use strap also instead of cable.

My boat is light (16.5 DE)so I use standard Fulton winch, and takes care of it. I use winch strap. Winch strap gets replaces every year. Cable scares me I have seen what that could do to someone if it lets go.... I like the electric ones but get tired of people having them fail waiting on ramp in summer to get the boat in...LOL

What kind of strap is on your winch? I just replaced mine last year after 4 years of service.

Owen, what firelight said. Go with the two speed. I buy winches at Gregg's distributors in Nanaimo. They have a lot of different brands, lot's of two speed models, and some others that are very low geared.

If it does dishes, laundry and coo..... Oh wait you said winch, ​nevermind......

I am sure he knows... :) I waited all day for some to say something along the lines that he did. Dam I am sure others clicked on the thread as they thought that was what it was about... LOL

Called General Motors and asked questions and they said it could cause warranty problems.

Of course the GM counter-guy said it could cause warranty problems. He likely didn't even know what you were talking about, so you got his (cover his butt) answer. It's simple, just RTFM first, and do like pescador said, use the resetting circuit breakers, go big with the wire and run both directly from your battery (don't connect the ground through your frame). Your shoulder will love you for it (mine does).

F D

Back