Hook Files

Derby

Crew Member
Just wondering if anyone has a trick that helps keep hook files from rusting up on the boat... Currently i use a Holdzit & it works alright...just wondering if anyone has a good trick that they are willing to share ? :)

index.php

Chain saw files in bike inner tube. Stupid looking but it works

Years ago I purchased some nice ss files from Calvin at Nikka. I got at least 2 seasons per file

chrome files... good idea.. i'll see if there are available..forgot about those beauty's :)

Two chainsaw files tack welded together (handles at each end). Spray with wd40 once a year, good to go, best hook sharpener I have ever had.

EZE-LAP S Pen Type Sharpener with Unique Shape and Groove https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0001WP21Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4zVnEb6KSQVFE

Not sure if this link works, but this little beauty works on hooks, serrated knives and hockey skates. Fits in the pocket too.
X2 1/2

Had mine for 12 years and still going strong. Super quick and easy to put a killer point on. From experience, it will also revive that fillet knife you forgot to take out and wash on your last trip!

Buy a box of chain saw raker files. They are cheap. Throw away and replace as needed.
I agree that the chain saw raker files are a good sharp and cheap file to use. They will not last on the boat like most other files but do a good job at home like other good mill ******* files. I have issues on occasion sharpening overly hardened stainless steel hooks with any file, except with my Luhr Jensen file that came with a tight fitting sleeve/case that fits over it. I spray the file occasionally with WD40 just before sliding it back into its case. I try not to sharpen hooks that are still wet with salt water while on the boat but I certainly do it on occasion. I have had this file on my boat for over twenty years and it still works great and is still the sharpest file I have. I have never seen this file with the case again, otherwise I would buy another.
...Rob

diamond pad or file

Back