High Thrust prop on a kicker

abbyfireguy

Any thoughts on putting a high thrust 4 blade prop on a 9.9 non high thrust kicker? Used on the back of a 19 foot aluminum boat weighing 3000 lbs . Motor is a Suzuki DF 9.9A longshaft . Would this give better control in the wind and better low speed control?? Currently has a 9 1/4 x 8 3 blade prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds good.. i ran a 8hp prop on 6hp kicker and it pushed far better!!

The Susuki 9.9 you have is not designed as a trolling motor on a large and heavy boat. A high thrust kicker is engineered with a gear ratio and propeller to deliver efficient and reliable low-speed trolling for a range of heavy fishing boats. A normal kicker is designed for small aluminum boats with idle trolling and fast planning speeds.
By putting a four blade prop on a regular engine you would be loading it beyond its design limit and it would be running in a non efficient RPM range.
Your best to sell the 9.9 and get a high thrust version.

Hmmm, I just bought the new motor yesterday, and a 3000 pound 19 foot welded aluminum boat isn't what
I would call heavy... Oh well, not what I wanted to hear. Talked to a trusted marine mechanic this morning and he said tons of people are doing this with the 9.9A which doesn't have the vibration problem like the 9.9 has.. Trolling with this motor is just barely over idle. I can see a slight issue if you have a boat that is titanic size that required some throttle but mine isn't.
Quess I'm stuck with what I have. Don't have deep enough pockets to buy a new high thrust.

Smart move you will just void your warranty...Probably nothing might happen but if it does your out of luck.. High thrust models are built definitely different. I have yamaha and lower end is beefier and its vibrates a fair bit.... the prop is designed for that engine.. A mechanic can say otherwise, but I would take my advice from the warranty department.

If you want high thrust just sell it. That is too bad you just bought it...

Sorry, not selling it,not an option. Will use it with the prop it came with. It's a 9 1/4 x 8 , 3 blade. Will see how it works with a few trips to the lake before I decide if I need to change the prop. My old Yammy 9.9 high thrust trolled at Bamfield doing 2.5 mph just off idle a hair.. My boat is a very shallow draft inboard jet boat and doesn't take much to push it along. The factory prop on the Suzuki 9.9A might be fine. The first 2 years I had the boat I used a 6hp kicker that was ok. just lucked into the Yammie by chance and have used it for 8 years. It was a bit overkill..
My friend has almost the exact boat I do with the same Suzuki and standard prop .He has used it for 3 years no issue. I picked up the same motor only a 2013 model with 4 hours freshwater use on it. Was just thinking about a bigger prop,but, will try it the way it is first. It will most likely work the same on my boat and just putt along at basically just over idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a regular 9.9 mercury four stroke on the grady seafarer I had and it was fine! Put a tonne of hours on it myself and it is still on the boat(2002 model). Your new engine is 11 years newer and the engineering today is much better so I would say you have a great motor that should last a minimum 10 years.

I also had to work within a very tight budget from "She who hold the purse strings"...Happy wife , happy life!! LOL

After reading Dave's thread I bought the same 3 blade prop. Less pitch definitely helps and works very well. If you don't like what you have after using it, give it a try.

But would it VOID warranty if you bought a new motor..I would find out first. I also asked that last thread, and I believe no one ever asked. I doubt like many said went wrong but what if it did?
Mechanic or not I would phone Suzuki/Yamaha and ask them directly and get that in writing.

Any thoughts on putting a high thrust 4 blade prop on a 9.9 non high thrust kicker? Used on the back of a 19 foot aluminum boat weighing 3000 lbs . Motor is a Suzuki DF 9.9A longshaft . Would this give better control in the wind and better low speed control?? Currently has a 9 1/4 x 8 3 blade prop.

I just switched mine today, 2018 Suzuki 9.9 came with 10x7 4 blade, Now I have a 3 blade 9 pitch , way better. Suzuki dealer said lots doing it, they switched back to the 3 blade again on new ones.....

My Suzuki has a 3 blade 9.25" 8 pitch and it works great. The Suzuki was on the boat and I nearly sold it because I always had Yamaha. I'll never go back, the Suzuki runs way better and is quieter

But would it VOID warranty if you bought a new motor..I would find out first. I also asked that last thread, and I believe no one ever asked. I doubt like many said went wrong but what if it did?
Mechanic or not I would phone Suzuki/Yamaha and ask them directly and get that in writing.

Back