Hardy/McNeil Reports

• Thread starter Thread starter Fog Ducker
  • Start date Start date
Can someone tell me if Coal Harbour is the location to get out where the light house is on the west side. I have usually come up the channel but am wondering about a better way.

Mr. Dean you made my day! I was getting a little bit worried about some of the doom and gloom reports[V]. A group of us will be headed up on Friday for five days. I'm really hoping to put a few fish in the freezer after a swing and a miss last week at Sekiu...not even enough fish to break out the smoker...it might be a long winter. I don't suppose you or anyone else has any tips or hot spots they would like to share:D but if you did I would be more than willing to intently listen!

quote:Originally posted by tunaorlater

Mr. Dean you made my day! I was getting a little bit worried about some of the doom and gloom reports[V]. A group of us will be headed up on Friday for five days. I'm really hoping to put a few fish in the freezer after a swing and a miss last week at Sekiu...not even enough fish to break out the smoker...it might be a long winter. I don't suppose you or anyone else has any tips or hot spots they would like to share:D but if you did I would be more than willing to intently listen!

Get away from the crowds. Golletas is chocked full of points and bumps (structure) AND kelp beds... Don't be scared to try somewhere that no one is fishing. I get-off on the hunt/pursuit. If that doesen't apeal to ya then just hang out and slog the popular spots. It'll just be a matter of time before you hook-up.

Remember; Chopping up your Salmon and stuffing it into the smoker will leave it as being unidentifiable. BIG no-no with the fish cops (and I). ALL SALMON MUST BE PACKAGED IN A WAY THAT THEY CAN EASILY BE ID'd.</u> If this law presents a problem, I suggest that you look for a way of correcting it. Check out this link for further info: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm

If you're goin to be in there for 5 days and are capable of trying to think like a fish,,, I'm sure it'll all come together.

Big Chinooks are hungry @ daybreak. I like to capitalise on that w/ an XL cut-plug.

If you're having trouble locating fish after a couple of days, you can always just follow out some of the more popular charter outfits. They tend to leave port between 5 and 6 AM.Just try to be respectful and give them plenty of room. Be up on maritime law in regards too right of way.

In all honesty, I don't go up there for the Salmon fishing, It's the call of the Hali's that lure me... And they tended to be pretty near everywhere when we were fishing for them. But once your max'd on the bottom feeders... What's a man to do? [:p]

:)

Mr. Dean We have been fishing halibut for the past several years around Hardy with limited luck. We're not looking for the monsters but some good opportunities at 40-60 lbs would be great. Do you know of any spots out of Hardy area. My 14 year old has always wanted to tangle with a Hali but no luck so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by john

Mr. Dean We have been fishing halibut for the past several years</u> around Hardy with limited luck. We're not looking for the monsters but some good opportunities at 40-60 lbs would be great. Do you know of any spots out of Hardy area. My 14 year old has always wanted to tangle with a Hali but no luck so far</u>. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You've fished there for YEARS and NEVER hooked a fish???

I find that statement simply amazing. I'd think that you should've lucked into at least 1 by now.

May I ask how and what you are using to do this? What kind of fish do you catch when trying? What areas have you fished? Do you plan around the tides? What kind of boat do you run/How far are you willing to travel? Does the thought of waves crashing over the stern and soaking all on board, intimidate you? Are you new?

BTW - A 40-60 pound hali may not be a monster... But they are considered to be a VERY</u> respectable fish. To specificly target something in that range, you should be fishing in the rock piles IMO. Be prepared to lose gear and have the harpoon at the ready.

DAMN!!! I'm begining to feel the need for ONE MORE TIME!

I live in the Fraser Valley. If you're close, you're more than welcome to come hang in the driveway for a chin-waggin' session. :)

quote:

DAMN!!! I'm begining to feel the need for ONE MORE TIME!

I'm heading up with Tunaorlater, and am getting pumped for both Hali's and salmon. How is the shrimping nearby? I bought a shrimp pot on a whim to try it. I've got 400' of line and will try a bouy anchor retriever to pull the trap. Any insights?

Never tried. I get my prawns closer to home.

I hear that you should concentrate on the inlets. Either on the mainland or west Vanisle. Also, don't forget to clip a weight on your line ~100' down from the float. The waters there see lots of wave action and it is tough to see a line floating on top.

Nope, smoker stays home and gets broken out upon the return besides that would just take time away from fishing! The boat has been packed re-packed and everything checked at least twice. We will be staying in Quatse campground so if anybody is around drop by and say hi. Look for the Dodge trucks with Oregon plates. Thanks for all the help and info. My Dad's flying out from the east coast where there having 100 deg heat with 90% humidity. He's looking forward a little natural AC [8D]. I'm hoping to get him into a nice halibut. On the east coast there is a big fishery for fluke (a similar flat fish) a Trophy is 8lbs. He calls Halibut fluke on steroids.

Hey tunaorlater, love your dads analogy of the hali's. Might look for ya there, if I have time to stop by. Talk some good ol fishing. What is your boat?

David
Serengeti Fishing Charters

Mr. Dean: We have fished for years and have done fairly well with salmon, but halibut have been tough. When the tides were decent we have had some success by the airport and in Christie (largest about 20 lbs along with some turbit. But more often then not it has been an exercise in losing gear. I have hit a few large skates and have had some bottom fish entertainment around Barry Rock. Have also been to Taylor Banks when the opportunity arises but have had no luck there also. I have also been out to Pine Island on occassion (bigger water), and hit a few lings - thats about it. I have 20 ft explorer and I'm confident on big water. Have fished Rupert area before and on the west side outside the light house. Just prefer inside waters with the kids in the boat is all. With respect to gear we have decent bottom fishing equipment with a variety of jigs, spreader bars and bait. I am certainly no expert on Halibut but am well read. Maybe its just a luck thing. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for replying. Cheers!

I don't know what to tell ya, John. All them spots you mentioned hold fish AND most are even capable of spitting up monsters on more than just an occasion. All of mine came in from around Barry this year. There was guite a few boats capitalizing on the tides and ALL seemed to be slopping flatties over the gunwales. Fresh Pink Salmon seemed to be the ticket for bait.

I plan a session of stops... I've been known to cover water all the way between Pine and Taylor looking for them. If I get zip for action in 20 minutes of GOOD drifts, we haul up and hit another hump. Granted this is drastic measures but I always seem to find them.

I just keep my eyes shut when at the fueling dock. [:0]

How deep do you tend to fish?

I have never used salmon bellies for bait - usually use herring (if it stays on without other fish around), but often use octopus. I usually look for around the 200 ft mark and will drift to about 150 or to 300 depending upon how the bottom is reading on the sonar. Barry Rock area i like but wow! it can be hard on the tackle and pocket book for sure. I also find that the tides have to be just right to fish there or the lines can be all over the place. When you fish that area around Barry where exactly do you go? and how deep? I sometimes - depending on the tide will go right up to Barry Rock and drift north or even go to the west, north of that small island and fish there. I've seen guide boats in there before. I have heard guys talking of an island called "Slipper Island" (somewhere) between Duval and Christie Pass. Do you know which Island that is (not on the charts). Thanks for feedback. If anything its helps confirm that I'm at least in the right areas. Cheers!

Oh one more question Mr Dean: When you say wait 20 minutes (i often will do that as well), but when you're looking for the humps what are you exactly looking for on your sonor and how deep generally? Thanks

I'll fish bowls that bottom out @ 300-350' or humps that top off around 250-300. Don't drift deep &gt; shallow, try to set it up so the baits are goin down hill, you'll tend not to lose as much. As soon as you hook into a fish MARK IT ON THE GPS WHEN IT HITS! Then set-up on the exact same spot again. After a while, the waypoints will tell you where the fish tend to hold on that tide, on that piece of structure.

Tidal flow CAN be a *****. The best way to deal w/ it is to have a plotter on board and back-trolling into the stream, trying to maintain on top of the structure. Doing this with only a sounder is near impossible.

Try searching the forums history. There's PLENTY of insight on here about Hali structure/fishing from many good lip-ripping members.

Barry IS a rock pile that does have bottom transitions. The only real way to figure it out is to put in the time and keep a watchful eye on the sounder. Again, a plotter is extremely helpful for combating this.

If gear is a worry, I'd try sticking to things out front of the airport or Taylor. Both spots can be plauged w/ pup's, try to keep the baits moving. Go and set-up on the EXACT same spots that you've caught fish before.

If you're on spots that guides are fishing, you ARE on the spots. This is why I'm focusing on the technical aspects. I get the feeling that you spend more time fouled up than you do fishing.

Another handy tip is to ensure that all rods are configured in the same fashion. This way it is easier to maintain lines that have the same drag in the water... Same line type/test... Same weight (not just poundage but style also)... Same rig - Spreader bar or jig. Everything the same! Set up the weights so that in the event of a snag, they can easily be snapped off.

If you insist on fishing the rocks... Keep your eyes GLUED to the sounder and your crew OFF of the bottom. Many people think that they need to POUND it, not so. All thats needed is to 'feel' for it and adjust things accordingly. If the TV tells ya that things are getting shallower, have your people haul up a bit until things stabalize, then sink em again. When going deeper, have your crew hold their tips IN the water and spool out slowly. As soon</u> as they make contact, thumb the spool and raise the rod QUICK! Then engage the cluch and get comfy but never relax. The baits don't need to be dragging on the oceans floor.

In short; Fishing in the rocks is</u> fishing in the rocks. New areas ARE a PITA to figure out but the rewards can be GREAT once accomplished.

That island you mention, I've never heard of it before. I'd guess that it's un-named and would look like a laidies slipper/shoe when viewed from a certain angle. I wouldn't be to worried about it. I think that you're better served exploring and learning the stuff that you've already scratched. Each and every area changes dramaticly pending on wind and tide. Hence why the fish are holding on one spot one day, and another the next... Usualy this can be just on the other side of the hill.

Forgot to add that when setting up on a newish area, position yourself on top</u> of a sounding thats shallower than the contours that surround it and drift off of it. Example, if the contour is 100 meters then try a sounding of 67, 72 or whatever. If the bottom proves to be friendly, set the next drift so that you'll cover the hump on 2 sides (up and down). I find that the fish like to be either on top OR at the bases. Stick to the structure as much as you can</u>. Once you're off of it, wind up and re-set... Unless something of interest is just down the road. ;)

If you don't have a plotter just get the co-ordinates off of your paper chart (I assume that you have one) and chase it down w/ a GPS and sounder. Engage the track log feature and that will give you some idea of what's happening on your drifts when referanced back to the paper again. Track only the drifts and not the zig-zag of relocating the hump, or else you'll just end up w/ a spider web of confusion.

Mr Dean: Thanks so much for your insight, and yes you are assuming correct. We tend to spend more time hung up then fishing, but your tips certainly will be of value. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. I appreciate it very much. Cheers!

Thanks for the great info on halibut Mr. Dean. It really cuts down on the learning curve when you get people that are willing to share info. Serengeti guide-my boat is a 19' thunderjet with a white windshield, feel free to drop on by and share an adult barley flavored pop, don't worry it will be Canadian beer not any watered down imported stuff;). One last run to the store for some boat snacks and early to bed for the looooooooonggg drive up there.

CA & john;

I sent you each. One yesterday and one the day before. Did you get?

I used the profile function.

Hi Concerned angler. At Port Hardy and the Springs have been real quiet. Fished Duval, Castle amd among the islands. When you mentioned in earlier post "go north" where were you referring if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers!

Back