Halibut

S

stephen

I was fishing for cod in 350' of water and was catching them up to 45lbs. We changed locations because the bite slowed in the fast current. Now in 200' feet of water and only 1/4 mile away from the first location. Down goes a Norwegian jig and "something" heavy, very heavy hit the jig. The action was a pulling from side to side and down. The 80lb leader line snaped at the teaser about a 1/4 of the way off the bottom. Could anyone tell me what the action is like for a halibut and could one chew through 80lb test mono?

sjs

quote:Atlantic Cod. They typically range from scrod (under 5lbs) market (6-15lbs) and large (over 15lbs). These fish can weigh upto 90lbs and 50 inches in length.
quote:
Cod 45 lbs What type?

beachcomber NANOOSE

sjs

sjs

where were you fishing???

it could have been a salmon shark as they do that frequntly when i fish for hali in the charlottes

th

quote:I think it could have been a shark of some type. I fish in the deep waters off Gloucester, Massachussetts, USA, on the East Coast.The area is called Jefferies Ledge. For information it can be accessed using a google search.

where were you fishing???

it could have been a salmon shark as they do that frequntly when i fish for hali in the charlottes

th

sjs

quote:Hi: I'm not sure where you are exactly. I live in Massachusetts, USA. I thought I would post on this site and get some advice on halibut fishing. We have halibut here, but not many and they are rare. I figured someone might know how a halibut takes a jig.
You werent fishing out here were you?

beachcomber NANOOSE

sjs

quote:I can't say that I did or did not. The fish I was catching where all large cod. The largest being 45lbs. The fish which snapped the line was definately much heavier tht 45lb, and pulled from side to side.

What makes you think that you didn't hook into a big halibut?

Sharp hooks and full traps!

sjs

quote:
quote:I can't say that I did or did not. The fish I was catching where all large cod. The largest being 45lbs. The fish which snapped the line was definately much heavier tht 45lb, and pulled from side to side. I'm going to the same spot Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

What makes you think that you didn't hook into a big halibut?

Sharp hooks and full traps!

sjs

sjs

Hali's usually "mouth" the bait or make a "killing" bite then scoup it up and start swimming off TO THE SIDE back down to the BOTTOM. What the angler feals at the rod is a "thump thump" DOWNWARD motion as its head ungulates up and dowm untill the fish gets there....they cant shake side to side.

I use mono leaders as well and I'm curious, did it "pop" or was it torn. If the point of failure was raked and raged...most likely a shark or skate of some kind. If your leader was clean of all this and no curly tail(knot or crimp failure) then I'm sure you happened into a rather large fish of SOMEOTHER species, I could only guess.

I dont think this was a Hali.

I must need a higher education, I thought halibut was a Pacific species only critter.

P.S.
How's the Ruger factory doing down there in Mass. since Bill died.

Good luck and greater fish'n

Edited by - Mr. Dean on 09/21/2004 09:49:14

actually atlantic hali's get bigger then our pacifics, up to around 900 pounds i believe. now thats a slab.

quote:Thank you for your insight. The leader was 80lb mono and was snapped clean. No curls or edages. Definately not at the tie or swivel. So I suspect all in all it was an even bigger cod. Damn. Lost a 21oz jig too. I'm going out on a 48 hour trip with seas 1-2 ft tomorrow.

The Atlantic halibut takes years to grow and are rare here. They spawn off Georges Bank, a nutrient rich area 180 miles off the southern coast of New England upto to the Canadian Maritimes.

Ruger is going through some tough times. Massachusetts has very stringent gun laws. The Company has its hands full defending itself in liability cases. Nonetheless there still in biz.

Hali's usually "mouth" the bait or make a "killing" bite then scoup it up and start swimming off TO THE SIDE back down to the BOTTOM. What the angler feals at the rod is a "thump thump" DOWNWARD motion as its head ungulates up and dowm untill the fish gets there....they cant shake side to side.

I use mono leaders as well and I'm curious, did it "pop" or was it torn. If the point of failure was raked and raged...most likely a shark or skate of some kind. If your leader was clean of all this and no curly tail(knot or crimp failure) then I'm sure you happened into a rather large fish of SOMEOTHER species, I could only guess.

I dont think this was a Hali.

I must need a higher education, I thought halibut was a Pacific species only critter.

P.S.
How's the Ruger factory doing down there in Mass. since Bill died.

Edited by - Mr. Dean on 09/21/2004 09:49:14

sjs

Good luck on the trip Stephen.

Ruger Model 96, 44 mag. gets the job done.

Back