Halibut in early July

• Thread starter Thread starter kippersnack
  • Start date Start date
K

kippersnack

Hoping to be on the island in the first week of July.Would a person be able to catch halibut around Victoria at this time or should a person be looking at travelling to the Tofino area? May be in need of a charter boat for a day out of Victoria any suggestions would be appreciated.

Like last chance said go to renfrew as most of the guides in Victoria do not like doing halibut trips that late we do most of it from march to the end of may as the dog fish really move in and it can not be a pleasent experience sometimes 50 to 100 in a day and all of the charter guys are doing salmon for big springs going west to sooke.

Good luck Wolf

Uncy Doug!!
WTF?!?

You're comin' west and I haven't been booked to take you out yet for even a day!!!

Dunno if I'll still be available...

Jeff

OSAMA,I'VE BEEN TRYNG FOR JUST ABOUT THREE YEARS TO GET KIPPER OUT TO YOUR PLACE TO FISH.WE WERE JUST TALKING IS ALL.iT'S A GOOD BET WE WILL BE OUT TO VISIT.

Heading to Port Renfrew for the first time,leaving june 28th, never fished for Hali before, I'm from Mission in the Fraser Valley, I'm a river guy.
So I got a few questions first my 18' alumi should be alright ??
Any tips on where abouts to start to find these Hali's, or if anyone is interested you show me the ropes out there and come out this way in August and I'll show you the time of your life with some BIG sturgies!! First boys weekend away since I got married too. I do have GPS and am trying to find good charts but they are not easy to find here, Thanks for your help, by the way I am a senior member on another site bc fishing reports, was told by another member to check here and whalla thanks again.

Hi, First good tip is the search feature in rh upper corner[:p]
Punch in port renfrew or swiftsure and sit down for a long nite of lots to read.:D ...then fire away w/questions.

Not to worry Jeff if we were coming we'd certainly tell you in advance. I was at your pa's having a few cold ones when the subject of hali fishing came up..naturally we wanted to come out to the island and fish for them..uhhh... and we were both hungry at the time LOL. Sorry the posts are so far apartour pc is on the fritz again.
quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Uncy Doug!!
WTF?!?

You're comin' west and I haven't been booked to take you out yet for even a day!!!

Dunno if I'll still be available...

Jeff

bait eh well no prob will have a nice selection for them to choose from, gonna try the tried tested and proven sturgeon mash that works GREAT, caught a few 7 footers on this sticky, smelly stuff here on the fraser.

roscoe...may be pretty tough out there in an 18 if you get any sort of wind - swells can be big and nasty and its a LONG haul to the banks. Most of the guideboats are in the 24-26' range. Of course, if the weather behaves, you could probably get out there in a 14'...all depends on that thou.

As for location - just haul your butt out there and you'll find the boats - pretty hard to miss them, but watch your boundaries - I seem to recall some out of bounds regions out there - of course the closer to that region you are, the better.

Lures...we were using the berkeley power grubs on spreader and couldn't really keep them off

Back in the 80's, I worked on a seine boat. We sometimes fished Area 20. While waiting for it to open we would anchor in about 25 fathoms anywhere west of Camper Creek almost out to Carmanah Light. When the boat started rolling in the swells, that meant she was swinging on the hook because the tide was turning. During this brief slack we often got halibut on Norwegian jigs or even buzz bombs.
Does anyone target halibut along there 25 years later? Much closer to Port Renfrew than Swiftsure for a smaller boat.

80' X 24' fiberglass. 500lb anchor. 35 gallons per hour at max throttle. Very safe in storms, but she could really roll from side to side while anchored. She had a huge round bottom even bigger than what you might see on some of our American friends' wives when they waddle down the dock to see what the boys caught that morning.:D

Back