Halibut dispatching with lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbassfishing

Not to strike the wrong nerves here but buddy and me were discussing if it was actually legal to shoot a halibut boatside? I was reading the regs but didn't see anything saying we can't. Whats your thoughts

Illegal in Canada to shoot from a motor vehicle including boats. However, if motors are tilted up it is legal.

Not necessary anymore with the current regs. No problem landing and subduing a max size halibut in Canada with a gaff and club. We always used to bring the "Halibut Horror" harpoon (safer and more effective than shooting) with us when halibut fishing as a kid, but even that isn't needed anymore and is relegated to garage. Maybe one day I'll make a trip to Alaska and bring it with me!

Illegal in Canada to shoot from a motor vehicle including boats. However, if motors are tilted up it is legal.

Not necessary anymore with the current regs. No problem landing and subduing a max size halibut in Canada with a gaff and club. We always used to bring the "Halibut Horror" harpoon (safer and more effective than shooting) with us when halibut fishing as a kid, but even that isn't needed anymore and is relegated to garage. Maybe one day I'll make a trip to Alaska and bring it with me!
Pretty sure at anchor with motors down would still be fine

Right on man... just ruffling the feathers a little tonight.

Try Wolf's Halibut Tamer it has more lead than the Trail smelter and Kills 'em Dead!
Now that funny Carl LOL LOL
what he is referring to people is my homemade club ive made its actually called the " BE GOOD STICK " LOL
and it has 2 metal stainless steel pew bands I used to work for wesking Gaff company and we reset the jig to make it twice as thick and where the metal band goes doubled i up to fit 2 sleeves then I filled it with about 3 lbs of lead on whack is all on need on most things. hence the name !!!
LOL LOL

I believe we still have to have our motors up or unoperationable.... kill switch at anchor? not trying to start a fight just wondering where the line in the sand
I believe we still have to have our motors up or unoperationable.... kill switch at anchor? not trying to start a fight just wondering where the line in the sand really is.
I honestly don’t know…I know for hunting purposes in Alberta the rule is you can discharge a weapon from a boat under muscular power or at anchor. A .22 pistol with subsonics would cause a minimal disturbance. Just sayin. Lol

I honestly don’t know…I know for hunting purposes in Alberta the rule is you can discharge a weapon from a boat under muscular power or at anchor. A .22 pistol with subsonics would cause a minimal disturbance. Just sayin. Lol
a .22 pistol is a restricted weapon, and falls under the restrictions of transporting a restricted weapon. i don't believe fishing is one of them

Not to strike the wrong nerves here but buddy and me were discussing if it was actually legal to shoot a halibut boatside? I was reading the regs but didn't see anything saying we can't. Whats your thoughts
More fishing tales from the farside: "Shooting Halibut".
If it's a large breeding female, you'll be releasing it, unharmed - right?
If it's a keeper, follow Dogbreath's advice - bonk it.
Shooting from a boat into the water is just nuts. If you really must, wait until you bring your killer fish into the boat; now shoot it! ;)

More fishing tales from the farside: "Shooting Halibut".
If it's a large breeding female, you'll be releasing it, unharmed - right?
If it's a keeper, follow Dogbreath's advice - bonk it.
Shooting from a boat into the water is just nuts. If you really must, wait until you bring your killer fish into the boat; now shoot it! ;)

Here’s some good reading on this topic. It’s Legislation from the BC Government put forward by Farnworth.

Bill 4 – 2021: Firearm Violence Prevention Act​

This is I believe is only proposed Legislation before the BC Government. Have a look at the section regarding discharging a firearm from a boat.

Anything we are allowed to catch is easily(really?) handled by a harpoon and gaff. Not much sense shooting a sub 80lb fish or releasing a SHOT 200lber either!!

I most likely will get feedback on this but the question is why would anyone ever want bonk a fish alone shoot one? This is one of the most valuable resources we have and preserving the meat is of the utmost goal. It's proven that bonking imparts a tremendous amount of stress on the fish. Over the past 20 years there has not been a bonker on board my boat. Bonking or severely subduing a fish when caught leaves a tremendous amount of blood in the meat. A sharp bait knife (serrated is best) quickly cuts through the gills and allows all the blood to be pumped out before the fish dies. The difference in quality of the end product is amazing. If you don't think so next time you catch a couple compare the fillets. Bonk away on the first fish, then cut the gills on the next. When filleting you will see the gill cut fish is totally void of blood. The meat is white as snow and the Salmon perfectly clean with no blood in the meat. This is best for eating as well as preserving the fish.

Last year my son hosted me a trip to Alaska and hired a guide for a couple days of fishing. The first halibut we caught was immediately bonked by the guide. I took him aside and informed him we don't bonk our fish. He looked at me kind of funny but when I explained why he said "I've never thought about that before".

I promise you will throw your bonker away once you compare. Rockfish, Salmon, Lingcod and Hali will be the best you have ever eaten.

Tight Lines!

I most likely will get feedback on this but the question is why would anyone ever want bonk a fish alone shoot one? This is one of the most valuable resources we have and preserving the meat is of the utmost goal. It's proven that bonking imparts a tremendous amount of stress on the fish. Over the past 20 years there has not been a bonker on board my boat. Bonking or severely subduing a fish when caught leaves a tremendous amount of blood in the meat. A sharp bait knife (serrated is best) quickly cuts through the gills and allows all the blood to be pumped out before the fish dies. The difference in quality of the end product is amazing. If you don't think so next time you catch a couple compare the fillets. Bonk away on the first fish, then cut the gills on the next. When filleting you will see the gill cut fish is totally void of blood. The meat is white as snow and the Salmon perfectly clean with no blood in the meat. This is best for eating as well as preserving the fish.

Last year my son hosted me a trip to Alaska and hired a guide for a couple days of fishing. The first halibut we caught was immediately bonked by the guide. I took him aside and informed him we don't bonk our fish. He looked at me kind of funny but when I explained why he said "I've never thought about that before".

I promise you will throw your bonker away once you compare. Rockfish, Salmon, Lingcod and Hali will be the best you have ever eaten.

Tight Lines!
Your post seems to clarify shooting is better than bonking.
Kill em quick to preserve the quality of the flesh or are you suggesting letting them die slowly is your preferred method?
I wouldn't know as I still spear and bonk but my halibut tastes great. As a matter of fact, we are having some for dinner tonight .

When we lived in Inuvik I made many trips to visit and fish with buddies in Alaska.
To a one, they carried Colt 45 1911's, and to a one they shot every decent sized halibut we caught.
They were fine eating.

Cheers,
Nog

Tight Lines!
you can still bonk it to subdue and then gill it. the love tap doesn’t kill it. when solo fishing i gaff the salmon and i do so by grabbing the leader and
“ tapping” it on the top of the head directly above the eyes. it is a tap only. then i gaff and immediately gill it by severing the artery in front of the collar. they bleed profusely; in fact it’s pumping out of the fish. same result less spazzing

Tight Lines!
I always thought the bonk was to stun it to make it easier to cut the gills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back