Gun Control in US and Canada

I don't think we have to defend Piers, he's on the right side of the debate and his job is to get people thinking and stir things up. He's done a good job at that. He probably regrets calling the NRA Pres "dumb", but, so what. No American host will do what he's doing on prime time TV. They'd be doomed. Being a Brit, he doesn't have to same risks as an Amercian and good for him. Jones is simple a bully with no interest in listening to facts and remotely considering the other side of the argument. He spews inaccurate information and people suck it up. He is a zealot. I suspect that bearing arms is a religous right in his mind. Thats a very dangerous place to be. Can you possible imagine a million nuts like him defending the US for their second amendmant rights? Not unlike the Taliban in some ways. Maybe they need to look at the second amendmant again, things have changed since 1669 with respect to technology a bit.....

Jones is simple a bully with no interest in listening to facts and remotely considering the other side of the argument. He spews inaccurate information and people suck it up. He is a zealot. I suspect that bearing arms is a religous right in his mind. Thats a very dangerous place to be. Can you possible imagine a million nuts like him defending the US for their second amendmant rights? Not unlike the Taliban in some ways.

Right on Pescador!

Maybe they need to look at the second amendmant again, things have changed since 1669 with respect to technology a bit.....

I think you might have the date wrong....1776 was the revolution, but I do not know when the second amendment was put in place. But you are right they should look at it but sadly, won't. The American constitution occupies the same place in the American psyche as a religious text and is therefore infallible and unquestionable.

As per your own quote above, America has it's own "Taliban"of right wing fundamentalists ready to defend their "faith" with gun violence if necessary. How ironic!!

Right on Pescador!

I think you might have the date wrong....1776 was the revolution, but I do not know when the second amendment was put in place. But you are right they should look at it but sadly, won't. The American constitution occupies the same place in the American psyche as a religious text and is therefore infallible and unquestionable.

As per your own quote above, America has it's own "Taliban"of right wing fundamentalists ready to defend their "faith" with gun violence if necessary. How ironic!!

Dont kid yourself, they have the same "taliban" of leftist.

Lorne

I heard this one on Chuck Adler on the way home...

[_XZvMwcluEg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZvMwcluEg

All I could think of was...

[F0BfcdPKw8E] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BfcdPKw8E

:D

It's official.....never moving to the states. They already have enough problems.....guys like Alan Jones will only further tarnish the worlds view on USA. Very scary to think this guy has over 1 million "followers". Fear mongering lunatic. How do these gun toting nut jobs travel? He probably only feels secure with a gun at his side. Scary to think that guy has over 50 guns legally.

Dave... you have to remember.... Its like a two ball pendulum, the farther to the left and right you pull...... The louder they clack in the middle.

I like the part where Mr. Jones starts talking British :D

THis guy has been going viral. ive done a bit of searching to find out who he is but have come up empty. Its nice to have someone who speaks rationally. 500k views on this video in 8 days., and his facebook page has almost 7000 followers and it was created less then 2 weeks

[Ooa98FHuaU0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ooa98FHuaU0

Last edited by a moderator:
images from an actual Bushmaster marketing campaign
mncards.jpg

Not man enough? Buy a gun
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/opinion/waldman-guns-manhood/index.html

(CNN) -- Marketers have long told potential customers that if you used their product, it would do more than satisfy your consumer desires, it would make you into the kind of person you want to be.

You may not be young, hip, and creative, but if you buy a computer from Apple, you can tell yourself that you are. Wearing a T-shirt from Under Armour won't actually turn you into an athlete, but it doesn't hurt to pretend.

And if you're anxious about your masculinity, if you aren't quite sure whether those around you find you sufficiently strong and potent, the Bushmaster corporation has an answer for you. If you buy one of their semi-automatic rifles -- like the kind Adam Lanza used to murder 20 children and six adults last week -- you may "Consider your Man Card reissued."

That's the message of ads the company has been running, along with a particularly ridiculous social media campaign. Until today -- the page has apparently been taken down, but parts of it are visible here -- you could learn on the "Man Card" section of Bushmaster's website that "In a world of rapidly depleting testosterone, the Bushmaster Man Card declares and confirms that you are a man's man." Then you could fill out a little form to bust on your buddies for not being manly enough, to "Revoke a Man Card." Just enter a brief description of the offense and put it into one of five categories: "Cry baby," "Cupcake," "Short leash," "Coward," or "Just unmanly."

The symbol for the last is the female restroom icon (a stick figure wearing a dress), but "Short leash" gets some of the best action, like "Steve A. missed a much-anticipated poker night to attend a movie musical instead," or "Heath K, where 'Yes I will' always becomes 'If she'll let me.' " All it takes to get that Man Card back is to get yourself a Bushmaster.

You don't have to be a Freudian analyst to grasp the hidden meaning. It's not even subtext -- it's text. As we begin a long-overdue examination of where gun culture in America has gone, we can't avoid the way guns have become so entwined with masculine anxiety, as so many men seek to find their identity in instruments of destruction.

This isn't particularly new, of course. Male anxiety has produced backlashes before, enacted through our fantasies as the world changes and tradition gender roles are challenged. A 1959 cover story in Time magazine described how at that time there were no fewer than 30 westerns on the three networks in prime time. For the post-war American male, an office job and a house in the suburbs offered few opportunities to prove one's manhood, so tales of two-fisted cowboys wielding six-guns became irresistible. "How long since you used your fists?" Time quoted one sociologist saying by way of explanation of the western's popularity. "How long since you called the boss an s.o.b? The western men do, and they are happy men."

With manual labor but a memory for most Americans, we have even fewer opportunities to enact rituals of manhood in the way our ancestors did. The strongest caveman may have led the tribe, but who are the masters of today's universe? A bunch of skinny, pasty kids who spend their days staring at computer screens. Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg may not be able to best you at arm-wrestling, but they could buy and sell you a thousand times over.

We have to find reassurance where we can, so even if we can't prove our masculinity on the job and our kids won't listen to us, there is a way to feel that testosterone surge through our bodies. Whatever else you think about guns, no one who has ever held one can deny that they make you feel potent and strong. You don't even need to fire it to appreciate its power -- just holding it is enough. So if watching your fantasies play out on TV doesn't quite scratch that itch, you can enact them yourself down at the range -- or get a concealed carry permit, and convince yourself that the only reason you're not Jack Bauer is that the right opportunity hasn't yet presented itself.

Here's something you may not realize: Gun ownership has been declining for decades. According to the University of Chicago's General Social Survey, in 1977, 54% of American households had guns. By 2010, the number had fallen to 32%. Yet gun sales are at record highs. That means that existing gun owners are buying more and more guns. It's not enough to have a hunting rifle over your mantle; you need an entire arsenal, just in case the government falls, society disintegrates, and you have to protect your cave -- sorry, your home -- from the marauding hordes.

That's exactly what the gun manufacturers want you to think, so you keep buying. They know that hunting will never again be the pastime it once was, and as more Americans move from rural areas to the suburbs and cities, their natural market withers.

Opinion: The case for gun rights is stronger than you think

That "responsible gun owner" politicians talk about, the one who reverentially passes down to his son the bolt-action rifle his father gave him? That guy isn't good for business. The manufacturers need the other guy, the one who fears he may not be all the man he could be.

Whenever that anxiety gets to be too much, he can go down to the gun store and buy another gun, and another, and a few more after that. He'll get thousands of rounds of ammunition too, because you never know what might happen. Then he'll go home and nod with satisfaction at his own little armory, telling himself that when the time comes for him to become the hero of his own action movie, he'll be ready. He's got his Man Card. And maybe he needs one or two more guns. Just to be sure.

^^^

It is brutal to watch this unravil, and it is a terrible thing.

You have politcians with agendas creating fear on oneside, and you have gun makers on he other side creating fear on the other. And the citizens are stuck in the middle. All that will happen, is exactly what that article suggests. People that have guns will buy more. Because this potential legislation and fear mongering, isnt making many turn thier guns in( i know there are cases but its rare) its doing the exact OPPOSITE of what its intented to do.

Lorne

fear is a great marketting tool and the gun industry has it down to a science. you ever see 'doomsday preppers' on TV?? if you are wondering about the type of folks who are buying up all the ammo they an lay their hands on, watch an episode or two, sick.

As a Yank living in the lower 48, it's always interesting to me to hear how people living outside our borders perceive us.

I've been tracking the gun control debate on THT---it's a hot bed of gun owners (mostly East Coast guys, guys from Florida, Georgia, Alabama etc) who froth at the mouth if someone even hints at some type of gun control (whether it's an AR or a slingshot, it's all the same to them--- if you want it, you'll have to pry it out of their cold dead hands)

When I heard Wayne LaPierre's news conference (head of the NRA) , it brought to mind that guy Glenn Beck. His whole show was based on the fact that the sky was falling. Mayhem was everywhere. End of the world show after show after show. It all finally made sense when I learned that he was a shill for people who sell gold, the currency of choice for people who believe the sky is falling. All that foaming at the mouth went into Beck's bank account (and goosed up the value of his gold portfolio)

LaPierre is cut from the same cloth. How do you combat homicide? Foam at the mouth that everyone is in imminent danger of getting their head shot off every time they leave their house; the only way to side-step getting your head shot off is to buy more guns.

While we're at it, let's serve more alcohol to combat drunken driving. Or maybe we should infect the 75 percent of the global population who don't have the herpes simplex virus infection with a good dose of herpes so they no longer have to worry about getting it from the 25 percent who do. If everyone has the virus, we don't have to worry about viruses any more.

LaPierre's contends that homicidal mania is a product of Hollywood's lax morals and violent video games. But like Glenn Beck's relationship to the gold merchants, LaPierre is just another shill for the gun makers. The Hollywood crap is exactly what you'd expect from an arms merchant. His solution: Tax payer's subsidizing the purchase of guns to arm teachers so there won't be any more Newton shooters. Sounds like a WIN / WIN to me: the NRA gets more members, the gun manufacturers sell more guns, and the tax payer foots the bill.

How do we make that all work? Continue to stir up fear and loathing. Use every additional violent incident involving a gun to buttress the argument that the populace needs to buy more guns to protect itself.

WELCOME TO WAYNE'S WORLD:

WAYNESWORLD_zps76a2ee20.jpg

How about unarmed teachers in gun stores?

1224_guns_full_600_zps1d6f6e2f.jpg

Ok, Ok, yeah, that picture is just hyperbole. I don't know what to do. A friend of mine suggested that there are too many warriors out there, people with warrior in their genetic circuitry who don't have enough opportunity to go to war.

So maybe, like Israel, all 16 year old males should be forced to serve time in the military. Through screening process typical of joining large organizations, maybe that will result in early detection of personality disorders.

I spent the last 8 years living in a house with a guy who had eerie similarities to that Adam Lanza guy, the Newton shooter He even looked like him. He played Halo all day long, continually talked about how cool it would be to shoot things and blow things up. He went after his sister with a butcher knife, pulled hunks of hair out of my daughter's scalp. More anger then you could shake a Bushmaster at

I would like to see more public funding of mental health professionals. I know that there are responsible gun owners out there. but this gun ownership thing is like an out-of-control virus down here. At some level it becomes psychopathic behavior.

But then again, I have a huge fishing reel collection. I always need one more. Can't get enough of them.....Same pathology, different outlet I guess....

If guns kill people,,,.Then
pencils miss spel words.
Cars make people drive drunk.
Spoons made Rosie O'donnal fat

If guns kill people,,,.Then
pencils miss spel words.
Cars make people drive drunk.
Spoons made Rosie O'donnal fat

Try killing all those kids at school or people in a theater with a pencil, car or a spoon.

Nice comparison but try again.

Back