Fuel economy - inboard vs outboard

I know it's been said but 2-3X is totally unrealistic.

The only reason I would expect a really substantial change would be if you can't prop it as efficiently.

The fuel you burn is really a function of how much power you need to access - the difference in burn from a 5.7 that is doing a task requiring 150 HP, say, won't be all that different from a 3.5 that is using 150 HP, unless the gearing is such that the only way to get that 150 HP task done (like say getting on plane) is to put the prop at a speed where the engine is making a lot more power than necessary. Does that make sense? Like if you have to redline it to get on plane because the prop won't grip the water right, but the other setup had a duoprop and would plane at 2000 RPM because the props were so grippy, sure, at that point you'll see big differences, because you're running the engines really differently. But if you can tune the gearing (including the prop-water gear, if you follow me - it's more analogous to tire size etc but I'm sure you get what I'm saying) to be basically equivalent, the change shouldn't be huge.

There's a bit of variation but in general the engine is going to burn roughly the amount of fuel needed to convert the chemical energy into the correct amount of force. You'd see more of a difference if you went from some giant theoretical engine with 20l of displacement to a supercharged 1.6 to get 150 HP. If you take it to extremes you'd get these various losses and effects compounding and okay, yeah, big changes are possible.

But at its core, a motor converts the chemical energy of the fuel into motion. The amount of fuel it burns is largely a function of the energy necessary to do its thing. A 300 HP 4 stroke OB on a given boat should be not TOO far off a 300HP 5.7 on the same boat, unless the torque curves are radically different (and they're probably a bit different but without seeing them I'm not sure how much).

I'd expect some difference, but it shouldn't be crazy.

Quick math and charting your trip was roughly 90-100mi based on your description and used 50-60g I would say you fall somewhere in the 1.5-2mpg range given sea conditions weight etc etc. I think you can expect to see as good or better with the new motor but it’s just a guess without exact numbers.

Quick math and charting your trip was roughly 90-100mi based on your description and used 50-60g I would say you fall somewhere in the 1.5-2mpg range given sea conditions weight etc etc. I think you can expect to see as good or better with the new motor but it’s just a guess without exact numbers.
Ya, my numbers tracking system really sucks lol.

I know it's been said but 2-3X is totally unrealistic.
Totally agree with you my old engine which was a inboard the new fancy POS volvo 5.3 (300hp) was at 10 gph @ 3800 to 4000 rpm doing 25 mph

The new dup prop zuk which is 350 hp is 4100 to 4300 and im 10.5 to 11.4 GPH and im doing 27 to 30 mph so im getting there a bit faster the difference is minimal, I think the zuk is out performing the volvo package, I know my buddy who has a 300 zuk on the same boat is over 14 gph as its a single prop, he says quote "hates me" LOL LOL. You can ask anyone who is running this new duo prop it is quite impressive.

I know I am as fuel burn to me is a huge concern as thats money being pissed away if I can save a few grand a year just on fuel alone im "WINNING"

So I called PDR marine in Washington today. Had a great chat with a fellow that gave me all sorts of advice (they have done dozens of pods for SeaSport’s). New pod from PDR (single engine, aluminum powder coated etc) is $4,800US. I asked why they don’t make a full depth pod and he replied that it causes too much flotation and affects how the boat drains at rest. Lots to think about as I agree with the logic behind a full depth pod and additional flotation. He also mentioned that, due to a huge demand, they are only making pods now and are backed up for months. No more railings, arches etc..

So I called PDR marine in Washington today. Had a great chat with a fellow that gave me all sorts of advice (they have done dozens of pods for SeaSport’s). New pod from PDR (single engine, aluminum powder coated etc) is $4,800US. I asked why they don’t make a full depth pod and he replied that it causes too much flotation and affects how the boat drains at rest. Lots to think about as I agree with the logic behind a full depth pod and additional flotation. He also mentioned that, due to a huge demand, they are only making pods now and are backed up for months. No more railings, arches etc..

Told ya they are good to talk to. I think when I ordered they where backed up 4 months. This gave me plenty of time to have the fiberglass work done and all that. I also Highly recommend bring the boat to them for installation of the pod

The pdr bracket with the full width swim grid looks a very similar style to the one wolf had built for his hourston.

Back