fluorocarbon leaders

• Thread starter Thread starter smatty_mcfly
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for the info John (on the hoochie thread as well). I decided not to go with fluorocarbon, partly because of the cost, and partly because I can't find stronger than 14 pound test, so my hoochie leaders are stock. I still haven't caught any salmon (unless you count shakers -- got 2 of those and let them go). I've also caught 5 dog sharks, and 2 big cod. This in about 8 trips of 3-4 hours each. Frustrating!

As for not trolling against the current, i've never heard that before. Really? So the salmon just ride the current? When I troll with the current my rigger wire is almost straight down, and I usually speed up a bit b/c I think the lines won't be moving fast enough to keep the flashers going. Thanks for the help

smatty

Smatty, I assume your still fishing off sechelt?So fishing ,dare I say? is probably not great!.It also sounds like you may be trolling a little slow.Just a suggestion.

Smatty, I assume your still fishing off sechelt?So fishing ,dare I say? is probably not great!.It also sounds like you may be trolling a little slow.Just a suggestion.

Hi Frango. Yes i'm still fishing in the Sechelt Inlet. Just came back from another 5 hour attempt. Nothing. Are you familiar with the area? Does it usually suck for salmon? I used to fish around Browns Bay north of Campbell River and i've never seen the fishing suck like this.

Maybe I need to make a run to Campbell River / Alberni?

smatty

Hi Frango. Yes i'm still fishing in the Sechelt Inlet. Just came back from another 5 hour attempt. Nothing. Are you familiar with the area? Does it usually suck for salmon? I used to fish around Browns Bay north of Campbell River and i've never seen the fishing suck like this.

Maybe I need to make a run to Campbell River / Alberni?

smatty

I have not fished it myself but I have friends who have.They don't rave about it.I live in nanaimo but fish almost always the west coast,anywhere from renfrew to Winter.I do however fish the east side in early spring.I'm sure there is the same run(upper frasier) going thru sechelt at the same time.I would not give up, plus life is real hard being out on the water,fish or no fish.It would be a good time to hit alberni though.

I have not fished it myself but I have friends who have.They don't rave about it.I live in nanaimo but fish almost always the west coast,anywhere from renfrew to Winter.I do however fish the east side in early spring.I'm sure there is the same run(upper frasier) going thru sechelt at the same time.I would not give up, plus life is real hard being out on the water,fish or no fish.It would be a good time to hit alberni though.

Smatty i also thnk your going a bit slow i personally look for a 45 degree angle to a 60 degree angle and i use 12# finned weights im usually down around the 50 to 70 ft mark but the deeper you go the more drag (angle)you will have speed on gps is usually 1.8 to 2.5 depending on tide of course, also i troll into the current all the time sometimes it takes my an hour just to get a troll in at otter pt but it only takes 5 mins to go down to start the tact again.
think of where fish lie in the river there up near a tail out or below fast water same rules apply also those big spring really like structure im not familular where your fishing but if theres kelp or reefs try concetrating on there ,do what every body also does follow where the guide boats go they know where the fish are we understand were used to it e-mail me if you have any questions.

Good luck Wolf

Smatty i also thnk your going a bit slow i personally look for a 45 degree angle to a 60 degree angle and i use 12# finned weights im usually down around the 50 to 70 ft mark but the deeper you go the more drag (angle)you will have speed on gps is usually 1.8 to 2.5 depending on tide of course, also i troll into the current all the time sometimes it takes my an hour just to get a troll in at otter pt but it only takes 5 mins to go down to start the tact again.
think of where fish lie in the river there up near a tail out or below fast water same rules apply also those big spring really like structure im not familular where your fishing but if theres kelp or reefs try concetrating on there ,do what every body also does follow where the guide boats go they know where the fish are we understand were used to it e-mail me if you have any questions.

Good luck Wolf

Smatty.....don't give up...my kids are want to start singing the part in Finding Nemo..JUST KEEP SWIMMING..SWIMMING..SWIMMING...wohohohohoho
WE've all been there once...I would agree with most if not all the posts for you..lots of dogs equals too slow a spead (generally)
rule number one.. fish always swim into the current (if you're trying to present a lure to them it's best they have a little chance to see it go past their faces)
rule number two.. fish don't swim backwards (so don't try to net from behind)

If fishing were easy, it wouldn't be fun or as nearly rewarding.
It's all the little thing that contribute to a successful outing.

rule number three...just keep swimming....

Here's just thought though.....Talk to one of your local guides and get them to go for a ride with you (yes this will cost money) but I've been on lots of boats that just need a little persuasion to catch fish. At the very least they can get your gear straightened out for you.

boc

Smatty.....don't give up...my kids are want to start singing the part in Finding Nemo..JUST KEEP SWIMMING..SWIMMING..SWIMMING...wohohohohoho
WE've all been there once...I would agree with most if not all the posts for you..lots of dogs equals too slow a spead (generally)
rule number one.. fish always swim into the current (if you're trying to present a lure to them it's best they have a little chance to see it go past their faces)
rule number two.. fish don't swim backwards (so don't try to net from behind)

If fishing were easy, it wouldn't be fun or as nearly rewarding.
It's all the little thing that contribute to a successful outing.

rule number three...just keep swimming....

Here's just thought though.....Talk to one of your local guides and get them to go for a ride with you (yes this will cost money) but I've been on lots of boats that just need a little persuasion to catch fish. At the very least they can get your gear straightened out for you.

boc

Back