fluorocarbon leaders

• Thread starter Thread starter smatty_mcfly
  • Start date Start date
S

smatty_mcfly

Hi everyone. I'm curious if anyone uses fluorocarbon line as a leader to reduce line visibility. I've heard salmon are very easily spooked and the line may make a difference.

I was considering using it as a top shot of the last 30 yards on my spool, as well as re-rigging my hootchies with it. Do you guys think that's overkill?

I've been trying for a week now to pick up some coho/springs in sechelt inlet with no luck, so i'm trying to pull out all the stops. :-)

smatty

I would say that if you are fishing in a low and/or clear river/lake for salmon a fluoro leader may be helpful.

However, in the saltchuck visibility is not such a big factor in my opinion. If it was, then no one would use any leaders stronger then about 12-15 lb test. You can do this, but it makes landing a 30-60 lb. salmon a lot more tricky.

Fluorocarbon lines while known to have lower visibility, are not as strong as regular mono of the same test, and they are much less abrasion resistant. I would not use fluoro for saltwater salmon fishing.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

I would say that if you are fishing in a low and/or clear river/lake for salmon a fluoro leader may be helpful.

However, in the saltchuck visibility is not such a big factor in my opinion. If it was, then no one would use any leaders stronger then about 12-15 lb test. You can do this, but it makes landing a 30-60 lb. salmon a lot more tricky.

Fluorocarbon lines while known to have lower visibility, are not as strong as regular mono of the same test, and they are much less abrasion resistant. I would not use fluoro for saltwater salmon fishing.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Thanks for the info Whole in the Water. I won't bother with fluorocarbon. It's really expensive anyway!

Thanks for the info Whole in the Water. I won't bother with fluorocarbon. It's really expensive anyway!

I agree with Whole in the Water...don't do it.
I use Maxima Ultra Green exclusively (no I don't get royalties)
and besides, knots are the weak link in your line.

boc

I agree with Whole in the Water...don't do it.
I use Maxima Ultra Green exclusively (no I don't get royalties)
and besides, knots are the weak link in your line.

boc

The thicker the better for hootchies, more action on the hooch. 30-50 lb leader!!

Thats Mr. Bags to you

The thicker the better for hootchies, more action on the hooch. 30-50 lb leader!!

Thats Mr. Bags to you

I have used P-Line florocarbon coated 25-lb line all summer in Sooke and it has produced very well...it tends to be (to me at least) sliperier than Maxima Ultra Green so I add an extra loop on my knots and haven't had any problems, not one broken leader or knot has come undone all summer (been out about 20 days).

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

I have used P-Line florocarbon coated 25-lb line all summer in Sooke and it has produced very well...it tends to be (to me at least) sliperier than Maxima Ultra Green so I add an extra loop on my knots and haven't had any problems, not one broken leader or knot has come undone all summer (been out about 20 days).

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

I have been using 50# flourocarbon for the last couple years and have had no issues with it - although it is tough to tie your rigs sometimes. It is stiff enough to give hootchies good action carry over from a flasher and is pretty invisible in the water. Unfortunately, the salmon I have been catching haven't been big enough to break it either.

I have been using 50# flourocarbon for the last couple years and have had no issues with it - although it is tough to tie your rigs sometimes. It is stiff enough to give hootchies good action carry over from a flasher and is pretty invisible in the water. Unfortunately, the salmon I have been catching haven't been big enough to break it either.

Tried it didnt like it dont like how when you tie a not it frays a bit of the fluorocarbon off of it bit expensive too I personally use YAMI line for leaders very tough and lasts quite a long time the best thing to remember with leader line keep it in the shade and dry when not using it I keep mine in a plastic bag inside a rubbermade container when not in use.
Good Luck Wolf

Tried it didnt like it dont like how when you tie a not it frays a bit of the fluorocarbon off of it bit expensive too I personally use YAMI line for leaders very tough and lasts quite a long time the best thing to remember with leader line keep it in the shade and dry when not using it I keep mine in a plastic bag inside a rubbermade container when not in use.
Good Luck Wolf

quote:
Hi everyone. I'm curious if anyone uses fluorocarbon line as a leader to reduce line visibility. I've heard salmon are very easily spooked and the line may make a difference.

I was considering using it as a top shot of the last 30 yards on my spool, as well as re-rigging my hootchies with it. Do you guys think that's overkill?

I've been trying for a week now to pick up some coho/springs in sechelt inlet with no luck, so i'm trying to pull out all the stops. :-)

smatty

john vanIeperen

quote:

smatty

john vanIeperen

Smatty,i've been following your posts.Hoped you caught some fish.One thing that caught my interest was fluorocarbons are limp.and if your using them for hoochie leaders they my not be stiff enough,for the proper action.I use 30 to 50 lbs.test not for strengh but for stiffness.thin limp lines are great for a single lures like spoons or herring holder type lures by themselves.Hope this might help.Perhaps the other boys in the forum can help also.

john vanIeperen

Smatty,i've been following your posts.Hoped you caught some fish.One thing that caught my interest was fluorocarbons are limp.and if your using them for hoochie leaders they my not be stiff enough,for the proper action.I use 30 to 50 lbs.test not for strengh but for stiffness.thin limp lines are great for a single lures like spoons or herring holder type lures by themselves.Hope this might help.Perhaps the other boys in the forum can help also.

john vanIeperen

Thanks for the info John (on the hoochie thread as well). I decided not to go with fluorocarbon, partly because of the cost, and partly because I can't find stronger than 14 pound test, so my hoochie leaders are stock. I still haven't caught any salmon (unless you count shakers -- got 2 of those and let them go). I've also caught 5 dog sharks, and 2 big cod. This in about 8 trips of 3-4 hours each. Frustrating!

As for not trolling against the current, i've never heard that before. Really? So the salmon just ride the current? When I troll with the current my rigger wire is almost straight down, and I usually speed up a bit b/c I think the lines won't be moving fast enough to keep the flashers going. Thanks for the help

smatty

Back