Fishing From a Stand Up Paddle Board....

Andrew P

I am keen on giving it a good go this coming summer.

I've rigged up my wife's SUP with a rod holder, and it worked really well for my one and only SUP fishing adventure; the Tyee Pool in Campbell River. I really underestimated the currents. I was keeping pace with the rowers, but could have only imagined how far I would have drifted if I got one!

Anyways, I am going to be living a half block from Esquimalt Anglers boat launch pretty quick so when the conditions look right I'll try around Mcauley Point and the green marker. I don't know that I am quite brave enough to cross the harbour mouth with the traffic.

Anyone tried?
Tips on rod mounts?
Gear? I am going to try slip weight or deep six. Probably cut plug herring, spoons, chovie, etc.

I bungie corded a net on the front, but maybe a small gaff would be better...

I'd wear all of my surfing gear as it would be assumed that I might end up in the water...

IMG_2077.jpg

Seems like a totally dumb thing unless you are trying to get a TV reality contact.

That looks like the back of the board?wouldnt you want it in front of you facing out to the side?

Andrew.....I can't recall the company but try googling, there is a full mount for SUP's for fishing rods that actually sits up from the surface of the board. If I recall correctly it has some storage in it too.

Try Googling SUP fishing products.....there are TONS of options out there as it has really increased in popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya-- I can just see you ripping around the Tyee Pool during a good flood tide LOL!

atta guy!! Gotta love the thrill seeker.. Best of luck and would be NUTS if you hooked and landed a tyee!!

cheers

Pffffy.......a wee little tyee??? :p

url

Pippen, thanks, I'll do some googling.

Andrew.....I have done some looking as I looked into it a year or so ago and found this awesome holder. It would have the reels right about waist height and there was storage below. I think the only concern would be it making you a bit top heavy though.

I have looked through a pile of google images and can't seem to find the same one. I'll have another look tonight.

Thanks for the great encouragement!!

Cuba is an old goat! lol

My cousin has a crazy SUP board build specifically for fishing. The best description I can give is it is a paddle board with an able walker attached to it. Gives you something to hold on to and a place to mount rod holders and other accessories. He was trying to get me to bring it to Rivers Inlet so he could go for a monster on the SUP. (I will post a pic when he sends it to me). Would have been crazy but at 9' long, or maybe it was 12'...there was no room on the boat.

Guys are doing this for tuna on other pelagic species...should be able to find some vids on the you tube....

bring a go pro, we'd like to see your attempts!

My cousin has a crazy SUP board build specifically for fishing. The best description I can give is it is a paddle board with an able walker attached to it. Gives you something to hold on to and a place to mount rod holders and other accessories. s!

Now that sounds exactly like what I was referencing.....perfect description. ;)

A SUP would be awesome for salmon fishing in rivers... Casting for coho in frog water, minimal gear needed...
Some guys do some pretty awesome whitewater trips on those stand ups.

I would save some room for the bean bag chair, drink holder, battery, and electric trolling motor. You need a good quality back pack to hold the beer and keep those pink salmon ice cold! All in fun. Seriously- what would you do with the fish when you catch it? It would be a blast surfing when you get sealed!

Lipripper- please insert hilarious video clip here

Couldn't wait http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9j7Oatucw8

Now that sounds exactly like what I was referencing.....perfect description. ;)

Here's is the exact one my Cuz is rockin'. Its actually 14' long.

Sweet set-up and those yeti coolers are pretty awe$$$ome.

[video=vimeo;54420962]http://vimeo.com/54420962

Ya.....it's similar to what I saw. The one I saw was stainless....and had some nylon/canvas type storage bags from the "walker" apparatus. Rod holder going out from each side and there was a small section on top that you could place objects; a small flat surface on top of the storage if that makes sense? For some reason I am not sure if it mounted directly on to the board or if there was some sort of strap system that went around it.

I am digging through old emails trying to find the link as a buddy and I talked about it some time back.

That one above is pretty cool, but you need the board to with the equipment by the looks of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my wife's paddle board a little bit this summer..we put it on top of our boat and we would use it when we anchored up...did a little casting for coho and would go and pull the crab traps...no problem pulling the traps, but the first time I did it, I didn't think things through very well...what do you do with the keeper crabs if you get any? Ended up just putting the trap filled with crabs into the board and then paddling back to the boat ;)

Fun times!

FishWish

Back