Favorite ling jig?

Ruff

We are going to be focusing on bottom fish a lot more this year and I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite Ling cod jig is? I'm partial to the good old Norwegian but what else should I put in the box?
Thanks

Last edited:
i get the kids to catch perch and throw them in a bucket , kept alive...

otherwise green with white glow.

Rockcod smashes them! Otherwise a bigeye jig from GD. Some salmon belly, or a Hali hog.

I do not fish kelp beds with that rig, it is a deep water method. It usually results in few gear losses if you use heavy hali type rods with 80-100 lb spectra mainline. Use a short dropper leader of about 40 lb test for the weight. If you hang up you usually only lose the weight that way, not the whole rig. The hoochy is best rigged on a short one foot leader of heavy mono to keep it suspended and prevent any tangles.

Last edited:
when fishing the gulf islands ,filling your livewell with pollock bycatch while trolling for chinook. big single through nose with a dangling treble trailer hook. bigger pollock the better, most deadly live bait, less spiny.

I use 11" of stainless towel rack, filled with lead and eye bolt in top, make different weights by larger or smaller diameter pipe, remember no more than 1kg. To the TOP bend some coat hanger wire to copy the mud racer type connection, before final attachment add a 7' glow hootchie and a single 9/0 siwash hook. The super tackle hootchie works well. Never found a need for any bait, don't jig the lure, lift and drop slowly 1-2 ft of bottom. You want the hootchie to flutter up and down, follow bottom contour but start shallow and drift deeper and reel them up. This lure is cheaper than store lures, hook on top does not snag as often and catches fish both ling, rockfish and halibut, but not many dogfish.

HM

I use 11" of stainless towel rack, filled with lead and eye bolt in top, make different weights by larger or smaller diameter pipe, remember no more than 1kg. To the TOP bend some coat hanger wire to copy the mud racer type connection, before final attachment add a 7' glow hootchie and a single 9/0 siwash hook. The super tackle hootchie works well. Never found a need for any bait, don't jig the lure, lift and drop slowly 1-2 ft of bottom. You want the hootchie to flutter up and down, follow bottom contour but start shallow and drift deeper and reel them up. This lure is cheaper than store lures, hook on top does not snag as often and catches fish both ling, rockfish and halibut, but not many dogfish.

HM

Just an observation, and maybe others can comment. In my case using a separate weight off a spreader bar obviously I'm restricted to 1 kg by the regs. If you are using a jig can it not be as heavy as you want. Technically that is a lure and not a weight, and should be ok shouldn't it. Some lead head jigs and metal bait imitating jigs are sold in over 1 kg sizes. Not saying I'd want to jig them all day, but I think they would be legal ?

Right you are TBG, my pipe jig is a lure not a weight so the 1kg rule should not apply, only sinker on the spreader bars. As regs state;

It is illegal too;

. fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than 1 kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by a release clip

For ling my pipe jigs weigh closer to 1 lb, we only drift over the ling areas, love the Penn carnage 2, Penn squalls, and 1 lb pipe jigs.

HM

I miss the Gibbs Mudrakers in the heavy sizes. The stainless lead filled tubes work like magic on bottom species. I wonder why Gibbs has cut back on their bottom fishing gear so much. I used to love the Gibbs floorwalker jigs as well. Prices have definitely become obscene in the heavy jig category and I guess it impacted sales for Gibbs. Too bad they used to sell great bottom jigs. Maybe when I'm retired I'll start making my own lead filled stainless tubes and copper pipe jigs as well. Much cheaper and you can make them exactly the weights you prefer.

I am lucky I got the 9, 11 oz hali drop (place hook on top) and 4, 6 and 8 oz norsilda jig molds. Its important to use stainless pipe, not sure why, copper turns green after 1 wash. Aluminum and copper do not catch as many fish. Proven with my son on other side of boat many times. Stainless gets the bite. Maybe electrical issue? Not sure. I cruise sally anne, restore for good stainless tubing towel racks (already have lots or would not mention that).

Store lures hurt when snagging at $15-$20 per loss. Make them for about $2.50, my supertackle outlet recently closed in Colwood, maybe looking for hootchies in 5 or so years?

Ruff

I have not had as much luck with the bottom hooked Norwegian jigs. Lots of snags here but they ripped Atlantic cod back east, not as good as a wavering large hootchie pipe jig rigged with top hook for our ling, snapper, and rockfish.

HM

I am lucky I got the 9, 11 oz hali drop (place hook on top) and 4, 6 and 8 oz norsilda jig molds. Its important to use stainless pipe, not sure why, copper turns green after 1 wash. Aluminum and copper do not catch as many fish. Proven with my son on other side of boat many times. Stainless gets the bite. Maybe electrical issue? Not sure. I cruise sally anne, restore for good stainless tubing towel racks (already have lots or would not mention that).

Store lures hurt when snagging at $15-$20 per loss. Make them for about $2.50, my supertackle outlet recently closed in Colwood, maybe looking for hootchies in 5 or so years?

Ruff

I have not had as much luck with the bottom hooked Norwegian jigs. Lots of snags here but they ripped Atlantic cod back east, not as good as a wavering large hootchie pipe jig rigged with top hook for our ling, snapper, and rockfish.

HM
Do you happen to have a pic?

Last year was an awesome year for me in relation to Ling. I caught easily a dozen around the 20lb mark in the Campbell River area on 160g and 200g Shimano Butterfly Jigs. Chartreuse/White Glow seemed to be the hottest one for Ling anyway. (Salmon hit harder on other colours). I picked up some 250g Butterfly Jigs for a Halibut trip coming up...I can't wait to see if I can hook up with a Hali without any extra gear on the line except the jig.

Back