Favorite ling jig?

Last year was an awesome year for me in relation to Ling. I caught easily a dozen around the 20lb mark in the Campbell River area on 160g and 200g Shimano Butterfly Jigs. Chartreuse/White Glow seemed to be the hottest one for Ling anyway. (Salmon hit harder on other colours). I picked up some 250g Butterfly Jigs for a Halibut trip coming up...I can't wait to see if I can hook up with a Hali without any extra gear on the line except the jig.
What brand of butterfly jigs were you using, and where do you buy them. Are they top rigged with assist hooks (1 or 2). I would think you'd need at least 350 gram jigs to fish the 200 - 300 ft depths more common in Hali fishing. Unless you fish an area with very light current, or are using a very light test spectra line. The style of jig does make a difference though, the wide body flutter jigs have more water resistance. Narrower profile jigs reach deeper depths for any given weight. Which styles and brands have you had your best luck on.

Pics or links would be awesome (if you could post please).

Sorry just noticed your post said they were Shimano jigs

What brand of butterfly jigs were you using, and where do you buy them. Are they top rigged with assist hooks (1 or 2). I would think you'd need at least 350 gram jigs to fish the 200 - 300 ft depths more common in Hali fishing. Unless you fish an area with very light current, or are using a very light test spectra line. The style of jig does make a difference though, the wide body flutter jigs have more water resistance. Narrower profile jigs reach deeper depths for any given weight. Which styles and brands have you had your best luck on.

Pics or links would be awesome (if you could post please).

Sorry just noticed your post said they were Shimano jigs
I just got these for my Halibut trip. The Flat Fall Jigs at the bottom of the picture are 250 grams and the top jig is a Flat Side Jig and it is 280grams. I didn't want to go all the way up to 325 grams as my jigging rod is good for up to 300 grams. Anyway, the bottom jig is one from last season. You wouldn't believe how many fish I caught on that jig last summer. That was our number 1 salmon jig. The Chartreuse White jig isn't in the photo as it is on back order but that was a Cod slayer for sure. The dual assist hooks that oppose each other increase the hook up percentage. We also experimented placing the assist hooks on the top of the jig which will help keep you from hanging up on reefs. Hook up percentage is about the same either way. We also caught several nice salmon on the smaller Flat Side jigs I the 4oz version. The Flat Side (top) definitely falls faster, but the action of the Flat Fall jigs is what I think causes reaction bites. YouTube has some good videos to show the action. I'm a big fan of assist hooks. The fish can't use the hook as leverage to throw it. There are several guys on the forum using these jigs and have had similar luck! My Halibut trip is first week of May, I'll be sure to post my results...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 342
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 319
I just got these for my Halibut trip. The Flat Fall Jigs at the bottom of the picture are 250 grams and the top jig is a Flat Side Jig and it is 280grams. I didn't want to go all the way up to 325 grams as my jigging rod is good for up to 300 grams. Anyway, the bottom jig is one from last season. You wouldn't believe how many fish I caught on that jig last summer. That was our number 1 salmon jig. The Chartreuse White jig isn't in the photo as it is on back order but that was a Cod slayer for sure. The dual assist hooks that oppose each other increase the hook up percentage. We also experimented placing the assist hooks on the top of the jig which will help keep you from hanging up on reefs. Hook up percentage is about the same either way. We also caught several nice salmon on the smaller Flat Side jigs I the 4oz version. The Flat Side (top) definitely falls faster, but the action of the Flat Fall jigs is what I think causes reaction bites. YouTube has some good videos to show the action. I'm a big fan of assist hooks. The fish can't use the hook as leverage to throw it. There are several guys on the forum using these jigs and have had similar luck! My Halibut trip is first week of May, I'll be sure to post my results...
Thanks so much for posting the pics and info. I think the reason Shimano rigs their wider flat fall Jigs with bottom assists (unlike most of their other jigs) is because they spin so much. Good to hear you could rig them with top assists without problems.

Here you are Ruff, finally a pic.

These are not specific to ling, but our bottom fish jigs.

All made from my molds, left starts with the 2 oz pink, new for kids pink fishing, 1-4 oz, 1-6 oz norsilda, 9 oz hali drop new and 2 painted, then my pipe jigs, variouse size pipe for different weight. Largest on right are dam heavy and used for hali deep, 350+, we stop at 600ft. Some have different hook setups, best is single big siwash, sorry took pics from jigs in boat, not new. Yes favorite color is "dunked in a can of white paint" drip dry. Only glow hootchies, normally super tackle.

HM

Attachments

• thumbnail_image[1].jpg
    thumbnail_image[1].jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 300
Here you are Ruff, finally a pic.

These are not specific to ling, but our bottom fish jigs.

All made from my molds, left starts with the 2 oz pink, new for kids pink fishing, 1-4 oz, 1-6 oz norsilda, 9 oz hali drop new and 2 painted, then my pipe jigs, variouse size pipe for different weight. Largest on right are dam heavy and used for hali deep, 350+, we stop at 600ft. Some have different hook setups, best is single big siwash, sorry took pics from jigs in boat, not new. Yes favorite color is "dunked in a can of white paint" drip dry. Only glow hootchies, normally super tackle.

HM
Thanks for the pic. Those look great. Since I read your post I've been doing a bunch of research on pipe jigs and I'm in the process of building a couple. Just picked up a couple feet of 1/2" and 3/4" copper pipe today so will hopefully have em rigged and ready to go by the end of the week.

Ruff

If you can do your best to find some stainless pipe. Copper never worked as good for me and turns green after first use. We search out the stainless towel racks.

HM

Ruff

If you can do your best to find some stainless pipe. Copper never worked as good for me and turns green after first use. We search out the stainless towel racks.

HM
I was planning on doing that. I'm going to play around a bit and see what works. I picked up some UV hootchies in different sizes and colors so will play around with that as well. Also trying to get my hands on some chartreuse glow plasti dip and maybe "dip" a few.

I looked into the glow paint, its hard to find and then expensive. Went back to the old white can, or bare with the glow stick tape and the glow hootchie. Good luck, making the jigs is fun, kids always assisted and picked out their first choice to use (loose) also good feeling knowing the fish bit something you made and easier on the wallet when in the ruff stuff and loosing a few jigs each day.

HM

I just got these for my Halibut trip. The Flat Fall Jigs at the bottom of the picture are 250 grams and the top jig is a Flat Side Jig and it is 280grams. I didn't want to go all the way up to 325 grams as my jigging rod is good for up to 300 grams. Anyway, the bottom jig is one from last season. You wouldn't believe how many fish I caught on that jig last summer. That was our number 1 salmon jig. The Chartreuse White jig isn't in the photo as it is on back order but that was a Cod slayer for sure.

Waterwolf: Thanks for the tip on those flatfalls last season - ended up getting them from the Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds, but haven't used them much. What weight was most effective (and how deep were you)?

As for OP's question (best ling jig) I've found that it really doesn't seem to matter too much. My go-to is 8" White Power Grub on 8-12oz jig head. It's simple and effective, and catches hali just as well. If you run braided line, I'd recommend a mono leader (20lb - 40lb) as Lings do tear through braid quite easily.

Last edited:
Lings are the Labrador Retriever of the sea they eat anything.

True , but also in saying that I have found them to be picky at times . not so much when it comes to color but I have had them scoff at any artificial ( jigs and big plastics) , pass up dead herring, only to go catch some live bait and return to same pinnacle and proceed to destroy whatever unfortunate live bait we jigged up.

True , but also in saying that I have found them to be picky at times . not so much when it comes to color but I have had them scoff at any artificial ( jigs and big plastics) , pass up dead herring, only to go catch some live bait and return to same pinnacle and proceed to destroy whatever unfortunate live bait we jigged up.
When you guys get your hands on some live bait, how do you rig it? Never fished live bait before. Big siwash through the nose, long leader and 12oz weight?
Do you just jig up some herring or whatever is around?

Waterwolf: Thanks for the tip on those flatfalls last season - ended up getting them from the Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds, but haven't used them much. What weight was most effective (and how deep were you)?

If I were to use just one jig the 130gram (4.58 oz) would be my go to. I try not to fish too much deeper than 120' if I can help it. I have however caught them with the 160 gram all the way down in 300' between the green and red can. Those butterfly jigs are pricey but the quality really is second to none. The opposing hooks on the butterfly jigs make for a great hookup rate. I lose very few fish. The hooks don't rust either, not sure what brand they are, I've been trying to figure that out so I can tie my own replacement hooks. I'll be on vacation the first three weeks of August if you want to hook up and wet a line Salted! Let me know...

When you guys get your hands on some live bait, how do you rig it? Never fished live bait before. Big siwash through the nose, long leader and 12oz weight?
Do you just jig up some herring or whatever is around?

Small jigs or cut herring on the bottom for the live bait, greenling, pollock, sand dabs, rockfish are all great live bait, more about having a big Livley profile down there rather than what species you use .Usually a big single through the mouth with a big treble trailer free swinging.

The opposing hooks on the butterfly jigs make for a great hookup rate. I lose very few fish. The hooks don't rust either, not sure what brand they are, I've been trying to figure that out so I can tie my own replacement hooks.

Shimano uses Owner hooks in 3/0 and 5/0 for butterfly jigs. See Owner Dancing Stinger Hook series. The owner hooks are only available pre-rigged.

Maybe the Gamakatsu Single 510 (open eye, biggest they make is 3/0 and 4/0) would be a good fit?

I will say this: The flasher is not normally used anymore by sporties at least. The hook is attached to a bead chain, a spoon and a hootchie.

Back