electronics much cheaper in the states

• Thread starter Thread starter SIR
  • Start date Start date
S

SIR

My transducer died forcing me to update my electronics a little earlier than planned. After doing some research and following the advice of a few posts on this board I decided to go with the Lowrance LMS-527C and the Navionics Gold XL9 SD chart set.

I found the combo unit for $664 and the charts for $199 on tigergps(great news that you now get ALL the charts for BC at the same price that just the inside passage used to cost). As usual I passed the quote thru my local tackle store to see if they could come close so I could keep the business local but they informed me that the price to me from tigergps was significantly lower than the cost to them from their wholesale supplier so I guess the message is you should do some price comparisons in the states if you are looking at any marine electronics purchase in the near future....

The unit, the charts and the shipping is less than the best price I could find for just the base unit in Canada. I like to shop local but not when the delta is 30-50%...

It's tough to prawn when your sounder will only read down to 200' :( but the new toy is on it's way :) but so is the VISA bill [V]

You are right Sir, i too picked up a garmin unit and cd south of the 49th and paid a little over 400 clams and only had to pay the GST after the boys at the boarder decided to tag it for a few more bucks. Same thing up here would have been about 650, sorry guys at the shop but you know i will spend the other 250 at your store for the supplies.A win winn for all
Now i just need to sell off the cd that i purchased as i managed to get a new chip with it as well.

Any takers?????

[8D]

not to mention the exchange difference on the dollar
is less than 8% now.
really makes it attractive to order cross border.:)

Now just have to figure out how to squeeze that 135 opti into my suitcase.....

Hey sir, just wondering if there is an advantage to having the internal attena compared with the external mounted one

My boat has full front/side windshields but a soft top meaning I can use an internal antenna and still pick up the satellites. (Need the softtop/swivel pedestal seats so when I'm fishing solo I can still steer and play the fish) If I got a unit with an external antenna I'd have extra wires running about and I'd have to weld a mounting plate for the external antenna on the front of my windshield somewhere. Given my job jar already overfloweth I'm going with the internal.

If you are not sure if you can get signal where you are going to mount the unit or if you think you may change boats at some point in the future go with the external. If you have a soft top, know you are going to have the boat for a while, and don't want the extra wires running around go with the internal.

If you are not sure about the signal in your boat see if you can borrow a handheld unit to run a test before you buy an internal as most of the internals don't have the capability to connect an external as an afterthought....

Back