Early 1960s Sangstercraft

• Thread starter Thread starter steen
  • Start date Start date
S

steen

I have been offered a what I think is an early 1960s Sangstercraft boat it has a wraparound windshield and the name Mercury in moulded script on the sides at the rear.
It comes with a trailer and what I have been told is a 1964 Mercury 4 cyl electric start motor.
Is this worth buying for $300.00 or is it just an old boat? it needs a lot of work, but I am willing to tackle it because I like to get out on the water just to cruise around.
I would appreciate any help or advice as I am new to boating and would like to be out there.
Thanks,
Steen Jensen

There is no such thing as a cheap boat.Look around you may find a better deal.An old Hourston or Double Eagle 14 or 16 footer might cost more up front, but cheaper in the long run and a lot easier to sell. DAN

Just walk away and don't look back! That $300 will mushroom out of control. Before you know it you'll have paid for a new boat and motor.

I agree, you'll end up hating yourself for buying that boat - a boat in a good shape is a money pit - and old junker like that, well that's a mistake.

Hey Steen, if youve got your heart set on that boat and motor,guess what I found in the shop,a mercury engine manaul from 1964 for 3.9 hp to 135 hp if you want it e mail me ,I dont think i need it anymore. DAN

Can you imagine the look on some poor parts persons face if you went in to ask for parts for a 1964 mercury outboard? I'd love to be there to see the reaction! 43 year old outboard. That should be in a museum.

i got the exact same boat with a slant six in it sitting under cover for the last 15 years[:0]

nice hull, but it would have been just like rebuilding an entire boat[xx(]

Back