Downrigger Rods - What are you running?

I run two G-Loomis Frontier 10'6" rods with a Islander MR2 on one and a Islander MR3 on the other. Great packages. Much better fight and a bit more of a sport with the longer rods.....might as well put some cable on those 8 and 9 foot rods! :)

quote:Originally posted by drhook

Hey 'Sushihunter'. I agree. Love the shimano TDR's as a cheap rod but you may want to look at the rods from Kufa, a company in Richmond. IM6 graphite rods that feel lighter and are more sensitive. 12 guides too! Still very cheap. Only thing is they are a little hard to find.

http://www.kufasports.com/

Looks interesting - I'll check them out.

Nooooooooooo, Reefer. The cable is on my dad's old 6-foot rod with the old Pen reel from the days of barbed hooks. I be sporting now, but don't make me use one those fancy noodle rods made for limp-wristed guys. [8D]

quote:
Has anyone here used the Shakespear UglyStik? What do you think of them? I have heard that the one model I was looking at has problems with breaking - anyone experience that?

Thanks...

I heard the same thing - I think it was either a 8.5 or 9.5 foot rod. I have a 9 foot(BDW1101).. It's rated as "light action" (6- 20 lbs) but is a blast.. top third bends and dances joyfully with any fish fighting action... 5 - 28 lbs... wouldn't love to play a +30 lb chinook on it... I have had this rod for 4 years now and see no signs of fatigue or excessive wear...

I picked up three Pro-Tac graphite composite downrigger rods ,9.5 feet long ..They are the Pacific Witch Series model PWD-90-2M...
Very reasonable in price and performed extremely well..Stout enough for the slabs but still enough flex to feel the smaller ones..
Don't like the 2x4 feeling of the super stout rods,these fit the bill for me and my budget...I think my guide price was around $90.00.

quote:Dont really see the need to get a highend rod like a Loomis... put the money into the reel instead

I use Shimano GT-4000 mooching reels. Good reels, but in hindsight, I should have got more GT-2000's. After I bought them, I heard that they had problems with the spool splitting. End of last season, I had two of them split. $15 each for new spools. :( Seems to me these should be free under warranty. Never had a problem with a 2000.

I just can't see handing some guest a $200 plus rod to use when he has never played a fish in his life. A $45-$60 rod works just fine, thank you.

Back