Downrigger Rods - What are you running?

Sushihunter

I've been running Shimano TDR's for many years. They are cheap, they stand up to most normal wear and tear.

Lately, I've been looking for something better. I want something that is light and will absorb lots of shock when the fish wants to run and the fisherman wants to hold him tight. Give me that extra second to rip his fingers off the reel. [}:)]

I like a 9' or even a 9-1/2' rod.

I picked up a couple of 9' Berkley Lightning rods at a boxing day sale. I have not had a chance to use them yet, but I'll let you all know what I think once I do get them wet.

Has anyone here used the Shakespear UglyStik? What do you think of them? I have heard that the one model I was looking at has problems with breaking - anyone experience that?

Thanks...

I have a shimano 10'6 convergence. I am very happy with it. I had a lightning rod before which a seal snapped in half. Thats a long story though. I like fenwick but their a bit pricier!! Ive had an ugly stick for a long time as well and had no complaints about it, except i think its a bit flimsy, but damn strong!!!! Hope that helps somewhat

I use OKUMA 9' 12-25lb paired with OKUMA CV45D line counter reels and Fenwick HMX series paired with ABU GARCIA 7000 series reels. I am not a guide but just a red neck Albertan who likes to fish the coast as much as possible but these have worked good for me!!!

Once again..there are allot of guys on here who guide as a living so they would know allot more than me about gear, but I have just recently started to use these combos and they work really good for me...

Kris

Shakespear UglyStik; uh got one a month ago. works great! but the biggest salmon i got in the last month was 11Lbs, the shakespear rod had great action and a lot of flex.(it has a counter on the real) it comes with a 3 year replacement warranty on the rod and a one year on the real. i got mine at canadian tire for $99.99

Shimano Technium 10.6' They are just as light, or lighter then the Convergence but less brittle. They are as strong or stronger then the Talora. They come with a lifetime warranty and a beautiful finish. Best downrigger rods I've ever owned.

quote:Originally posted by poachedsalmon

Shakespear UglyStik; uh got one a month ago. works great! but the biggest salmon i got in the last month was 11Lbs, the shakespear rod had great action and a lot of flex.(it has a counter on the real) it comes with a 3 year replacement warranty on the rod and a one year on the real. i got mine at canadian tire for $99.99

I had some ugly stick salmon rods four years ago, I had 'em break several times just past the felt when settings hooks. I wonder if they changed? I run Fenwicks now.

Cheers:

I fish 90-120 days a year. My choice of rod depends on my guests. For inexperienced I provide 10 1/2' Berkley Roughneck (unfortunately no longer made) with a Shimmano 4000 reel. For experienced I provide 11' Fenwick HMX with Islander reel. For halibut I provide 6' Berkley Roughneck (unfortunately no longer made) with TLD 25 reels spooled with braid. All these work awesome.

Personal fishing I use the HMX/Islander combos or Roughneck/TLD. I had 3 fish over 50 lbs last year and a few years ago a 221 halibut. These combos worked great.

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

Cheers

Invictus Charters out of Nanaimo (but servicing all of Vancouver Island).

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

Ugly Sticks way too soft up top....seen plenty of guys struggling just to get them out of the clip....Shimano Technium 10.6' or the Convergence 10'6"....great rods....best bang for the buck....have run them for years with very little breakage.....or issues....

quote:Ugly Sticks way too soft up top....seen plenty of guys struggling just to get them out of the clip....Shimano Technium 10.6' or the Convergence 10'6"....great rods....best bang for the buck....have run them for years with very little breakage.....or issues....

X2!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

Ugly Sticks way too soft up top....seen plenty of guys struggling just to get them out of the clip

x3. My buddy has one and I really don' like it. I'm about to buy a new fenwick HMX.

The Chinook gear I use consists of three Cannon Mag 20 downriggers. Matching rods (Lamiglass XCF 864 8’6” line wt=12-25 Med/Hvy). I like the way they set in the downriggers better than the longer rods, but like they way they feel when playing the fish much better! Does make landing a little interesting when using long leaders! Reels (Penn 320’s) with Maxima 25 lb test “ultra green” monofilament line. This gear has been known to bring in some very nice fish! :)

PS You can buy these for about half the retail price @:
Sportco
4802 20th St. E.
Fife, WA 98424
Phone: 253-922-2222
sportco.com

I've noticed the trend over the last few years of going to longer and longer trolling rods and have not personally bought into the concept yet. I like to use 8'6" medium action spinning rods for trolling with lures. The longer rods just seem like a pain in the butt to me as it's more difficult to hook the line to the downrigger release and it's harder to gaff land/release fish with the extra rod length causing you to have to walk to the far side of the boat and swing the rod tip all over the place to play the fish in.

With a firm release clip I can crank down hard emough to get all the belly out of my lines and get more than enough sensitivity to see what's going on with lure strikes. I also have lot's of shock absorber action with a medium 8'6" rod when playing fish.

So, why are all the manufacturers moving to 10'6" - 12'6" rods as the standard for trolling? Everyone buying huge boats? :)

Try the Frontier series by G.Loomis

A very decent rod for the price, with warranty.

We retail and use these, so have put them through the test of time.

We also use and retail the Shimano Technium and Sage.

It is worth investing the money to get the right tools for your trade.....

Jay

Stick with your TDR's, they work great, they are inexpensive, and your going to need that extra cash to cover this years gas bill :D $1.50 per litre here we come!!!

I'm with you, Sir: Those long rods are a real pain in the a$$ for my little boat. I've used 8.5 to 9 foot rods for years and with great success.

Maybe when I get a bigger boat, I'll get longer rods? [8D]

SIR brings up a good point about rod length.
My friends and I fish with 4 and sometimes 5 rods at a time.
We fish from boats from 16 to 19 foot
I have two trolling rods, one 8’6” and one 10’
I prefer my 8’6” medium action rod.
There’s just not enough deck space for the longer rod.
If you have an 8’6” rod you can stand it straight up.
You can then reach up over the top and grab the line.
Much easier when setting up for the downriggers clips.
With a longer rod you have to slide the butt into the boat before you can grab the line.
Not too safe for people or rods IMO.
I can also put my 8’6” rod in the storage rack on the side of the boat.
I have to break down my 10’ to put it away.
So unless you fish out of a 21+’ boat I would use the 8’6” rod.
I’m shopping for a new rod this spring and guess what length?
Yup 8’6”
GLG

Hey 'Sushihunter'. I agree. Love the shimano TDR's as a cheap rod but you may want to look at the rods from Kufa, a company in Richmond. IM6 graphite rods that feel lighter and are more sensitive. 12 guides too! Still very cheap. Only thing is they are a little hard to find.

Three seasons with Shimano Convergence 10.6 very happy for the price.

Back