Downrigger Ball

otter

See they are expensive. Need a 12lb. Appreciate cheapest place to get one, Victoria/vicinity Thanks

ya they are expensive, i think outfitter's is as good as anyplace...
seems to me they ran about $22-24 last time i bought one.

Almost hate to say it but 'Walmart' is the place. I think it was only around $15 for a 12lb with fin. Worth checking out anyway.

If you're ever up Island...the cheapest I've found is the French Creek Store in Parksville. Well below $20. Don't make a special trip, or call ahead as they don't always have the stock.

did a little price checking, capital iron 24.99
island oufitter's 24.99, crappy tire not stocked
walmart $16.49 , but they were out of stock !

craven which walmart did you check, langford or town&country, they usually get stock fairly quickly as well

If you ever get down here they are about $13.00 us for 12 pound finned. I make my own and just found 15 pound downrigger balls for about $16.00. These are all at Outdoor Emporium in downtown Seattle right beside the Mariners Baseball Field meeting. It might be worth sending a guy down if you got a bunch of guys together that needed them. Their phone number is 206-624-6550.

By the way I have not been able to find 15 pound finned befre. He had the mould made.

OK Walmart seems to be the ticket,dont get to Nanaimo often. Ive lost two this past summer, why? I dont know,The wire line at the Scotty clip,Sanpro conn is where it breaks. Seems to me its twisting till it snaps. Never had it happen before. Two really Pisses me off.

Hey has anyone seen the pancake style w/big SS fins? For sale? 12-15lb how much? They work well fishing deep for winter springs.We use to get them at Palco way back.Boy.... I sure miss the Place.

Hillama

I have seen them in the catalogs but they are pricey. Has anyone fished with the fish shaped downrigger balls? I bought a mold for the 10lber but haven't cast any yet.They claim that they track well and you don't have the resistace like you with a round ball? Which I guess in theroy you could use a lighter set up.

A round ball has the smallest surface area of any shaped object. However, there is a greater surface area/more drag on a round ball than a fish shaped or disc shaped weight with a fin once it is starts moving in a single direction. Should there be any forces to the side of the weight, ie. tidal flow across the path of the weight it could end up with more drag. My preference is to increase my weight, ie. from 12 lb to 15 lb, and maybe reduce my downrigger line drag than use a disc shaped or fish shaped weight.

quote:We use to get them at Palco way back.Boy.... I sure miss the Place.
Me too--in many ways. It was a great place to get my commercial gear but it was also a real west coast institution, with Ed as the curator, how could it not be? I should start an Ed thread to share stories about the place.
T2

Salmon 9 says a 15lb. I fish Sooke only,you know the conditions, now should I go for a 12 or 15?

13 #Finned works very well with Scotty Wire for Sooke, Winter and Summer Fishing. You can Stack two lines per side with no issues. 15# is required for the Commercial grade DR wire and trolling big plugs at 3.5 Knots.

I make my own 12 lb finned weights maddog knows he has some and we both catch fish. you decide

Good luck Wolf

Back