Dogfish for Crab Bait?

Time

Has anybody ever tried dogfish in a crab trap?

Any other good recommendations for crab bait, other than salmon heads, which are still on the salmon I can't seem to catch?

Pulled a trap once and found the carcass of an eaten dogfish.Geuss he went in after the bait and the crabs got him.I've used mackerel before.Works good.What I use now is chicken backs.Buy em frozen at the grocers.About $3.00 a pack.I buy lots and throw em in my deep freeze.Put em in a cage and in a scotty holder and tie it in the center of your trap.

I have used dogfish very sucessfully over the last 6 years.Ifind wiring them up to the top of the trap and running a knife part way through the flesh works the best.If you are crabbing for a couple of days you can use the same dogfish just by slicing a few more cuts into the flesh.Make sure you wire it tight because those little scavenger will try to get loose.Happy crabbing.:D

Mike

We once had roasts from a nasty 'rut' buck. Used the roasts for crab bait and got the most amazing results. Outfished chicken (was in the other trap)

Have found dog fish in my crab traps a few times. Everytime that I have I have not seen any crabs. Is this just bad luck or a sign??

now for the million dollar question, which works best chicken or salmon heads, or herring

Thks Falkor

I vote for turkey legs. They last a long time in the right holder. Several years ago the wife and I got into an arugment (no I did not use her for crab bait) and decided to try Salmon heads verses turkey legs. The legs outcrabbed the salmon six to one! Good luck!

ry using the salmon head,back bone. and all the guts attached has alway worked for me. We also have great luck with Turkey vs chicken I think it has more oil. The best I ever did was puting a whole springer we found on the beach. My son was 8 at the time and he always pulled up the traps. He was complaining how heavy the trap was so I gave him a bad time and grabed the rope. I had a hell of time pulling in the 80 feet of rope the trap had 18 male crabs over 6 inches. I'm still looking for the whole salmon on the beach.

dead seals show up on beaches every now and then (i wounder what from lol ) do u think they would work for trap bait? that reminds me of when a dead seal washed up on a beach and a boat cut its head right off and about 100 feet away was a salmon head, maybe from a 35lber so i put the 2 together, man it looked weird it was a pirfect fit and same color too. wish i had my camera it would of confused alot of people too. but i just left it their for others to examin.

Perhaps i should try the dogfish trick, Each time i place fresh salmon heads and frames in my traps the vultures who are incapable of catching fish on there own steal all the crabs and the bait even when its zipp tyed in!

I hear the english really enjoy them deep fried. I hear we sell millions of pounds to them but not neary enough. I do have a book on how to cook them but have never had the nerve.

Back