DFO and COAST GUARD out in force still

I Just have to say a few things here.
I have worked in many sectors of the fisheries off the BC coast from commercial observing, creel surveying, as well as as a fisheries biologist for both private and gov't. first things first, everyone gets checked, sporties, commercial and first nations, I have Seen it all first hand. Whether or not the fines or whatever hold up in court is not the faults of the fishery officers, you have to remember that many of the officers are fishermen themselves hate it just as much as anyone when certain groups fish illegaly and there is little they can do about it because they know their efforts will be nulled by the higher power. And another thing there are millions of dollars spent each year on spawning, rearing channels on vancouver island alone. Last summer i worked for a small (4ppl) private company, we spent over $300K on fisheris restoration projects most of which was funded by the logging sector, this is just a drop in the bucket. As well you cant just pump rivers full of eggs and expect a bunch of fish to return, it just doesn't happen, there are numerous limiting facotrs that control the number of salmon that are around each year that are beyond our control, believe it or not the salmon stocks are somewhat limited by the amount of food in the ocean (among other things). There are definately problems with the system, but bashing the field crews will not solve anything, they are just trying to do their jobs with limited resources and authority.

I think your missing the point fog ducker. We are trying to say there are far greater problems to pay attention to than a barb on a hook.Why **** off the hand that feeds the majority of the fishing industry on the coast (sporties).

We were about 6-8 miles off shore the first day DFO was checking,along with about 4-6 commercial boats. They checked everybody, they took much longer with the commercial boats compaired to us sporties.

Beak: I agree that there are bigger problems than barbed hook, and i know its a hassle but they have to start somewhere. There are some "sporties" that are out there that break far more rules than using barbed hooks. I have seen guys at papermill dam on the stamp return three times in one day to take their "limit" of 4 fish, and do this day after day. Others keeping bunch of undersized ling. Others in Gold River passing off massive coolers filled with fish to a waiting truck on the side of the road to return for the "nite bite" or keeping small chinook and saying they are pinks etc. So they have to check everyone to catch those guys. Its kinna like a road block for drunk drivers..
As for not checking Commercial or natives. I HAVE seen it first hand a seiner boarded and fined while I was on it. Every commercial fishery i have been on the F.O's are around because they are usually the ones that dropped me off on the boats. I have also seen fish consficated from first nations vesssels on the fraser River (they were however forced to return the catch by the Higher power at a later date). But for me in 15 years of fishing on the coast i have had to pull my lines in twice, and been checked at the ramp a couple more times.. I really dont think thats a huge problem if you play by the rules. Think as the barbless hook as part of the "sport" of it. If you are in it just for the meat it certainly isn't cost effective to go by a $150k grady and expect that you are going to pay it off in the next 100 years in fish.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

im amazed at the damage my barbless on coyote spoons have been doing. 20lbs or 2lbs they all seem to be bleeding pretty heavy when they hit the boat......
So, you continue to fish with the same gear ( coyote spoons )and cause injury to more fish that may or may not die through the loss of blood??

Whatever man !!!
Rob

This is obviously a touchy subject. But I have to agree with what Fog Ducker is saying. These guys are doing a job to help protect our fishery. If we are playing by the rules then what do we have to worry about if we get checked? Maybe a 5-10min delay in fishing time (Big Deal) I for one am glad to see them check for Barbs and illegal catches, it is a small step to seeing our pass time get better but at least it is a step in the right direction!
Steve41[8D]

quote:Originally posted by FLHTCUI

quote:Originally posted by kelly

im amazed at the damage my barbless on coyote spoons have been doing. 20lbs or 2lbs they all seem to be bleeding pretty heavy when they hit the boat......
So, you continue to fish with the same gear ( coyote spoons )and cause injury to more fish that may or may not die through the loss of blood??

Whatever man !!!
Rob
Rob find a fisherman here who hasnt had a shaker damaged.I have only hooked maybe 3-4 shakers this year. I bet 90% of the members on here fish or have fished coyotes they are a single barbless. If i wanted to make sure i never damaged a fish then i wouldnt fish. Its not like i am running two trebles on a bait rig. i try to damage them as little as possible and make a quick netless release

I stand behind Kelly on this FLHTCUI give him a break we have no other choice then to fight them in due to seals becoming a overwhelming problem and even if they aren't we become a creature of habit so by the time they get to the boat barbless or not you have a high pecentage of bleeders.

To add to this I know many that would play a fish and release it with less damage in the old days vs winching it in with hard pressure beause of the chance of losing it to a barbles hook

Cheers ME

ps Right Hootchie, Spoon or Bait and good hook set you'll have a bleeder even barbless.

Well here is another thing to ponder this whole stupid thing about only keeping hatchery coho when half the time at the hatchery they dont clip the fin then you go out there targeting "HATCHERY ONLY" coho in the process you kill off a ton of them because as you know they are a hard hitting and hard fighting fish and they basically kill themselves as we have all witnessed I recall a time off of swanson I caught about 10 BIG coho 15 to 20 lbers while looking for a "hatchery" and I know more than a few died because they were gilled hooked and bleeding to death and you know how hard it is to say to a client yes its going to die and be dogfish food as you let it go sinking to the bottom what a waste!!!!!!and plese dont lecture me on how to revive a fish if there no blood in it it isnt going to come back to live I know how too do it properly.

What a waste of our fishery but dont forget to pinch that barb and make it touch the shank cause if they get the cotten ball out and it snags

"YOUR BUSTED WELCOME TO BEING A CONVICT"

Not the people making such stupid rules in ottawa who some have never even been on our coast

Wolf

I agree with Wolf here; your limit is the first (n) Coho you catch regardless of it being hatchery or wild. That would make a big difference in waste.

Not sure about the barb thing. A lot of fish (Coho) get off barbless and many of those are mortally injured. Maybe it would be better to use barbs and keep all fish you catch to fill your limit rather than hook and kill a bunch along the way. Tom

I too like Fog Ducker Have spent my time in the fisheries here. Unlike him I wasn't so much a hands on guy, but rather sat in board rooms with the leaders of industry. I got to hear first hand what their agenda was. They listen to concerns of First Nations, of biologists like Fog Ducker here, then they go ahead with the fisheries regardless of what was said. If industry puts enough pressure on DFO then DFO caves in. It has happened time and time again.
People! DFO is not trying to manage the stocks so that there are as many fish as possible. They are managing the stocks so that every fish that is taken is worth the most it can be.

I know that there are a few good guys out there in C&P, unfortunately they have to act on orders given out by the cowboys ranked above them.

quote:posted - 07/11/2007 : 21:01:42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well here is another thing to ponder this whole stupid thing about only keeping hatchery coho when half the time at the hatchery they dont clip the fin then you go out there targeting "HATCHERY ONLY" coho in the process you kill off a ton of them because as you know they are a hard hitting and hard fighting fish and they basically kill themselves as we have all witnessed I recall a time off of swanson I caught about 10 BIG coho 15 to 20 lbers while looking for a "hatchery" and I know more than a few died because they were gilled hooked and bleeding to death and you know how hard it is to say to a client yes its going to die and be dogfish food as you let it go sinking to the bottom what a waste!!!!!!and plese dont lecture me on how to revive a fish if there no blood in it it isnt going to come back to live I know how too do it properly.

What a waste of our fishery but dont forget to pinch that barb and make it touch the shank cause if they get the cotten ball out and it snags

"YOUR BUSTED WELCOME TO BEING A CONVICT"

Not the people making such stupid rules in ottawa who some have never even been on our coast

Wolf

And as such pretty much sums up a lot of our hunting and fishing regulations set forth in this nation...
My hat is off to you sir...

DFO should go down to the breakwater at night. there about 10 people fishing there and keeping every fish they catch, and 95% of them are undersized and they dont even have fishing licences too

Good point Wolf on the barbed hooks. I agree with what you are saying, keep the first coho regardless of hatchery or wild or 2 whatever the limit, this would eliminate alot of by catch mortality.
Steve41[8D]

I agree with you wolf on the Coho thing but the problem is it wouldn't work. many people including myself and probably many of you go fishing for fun once in a while, take the kids out or some relatives or whatever. you can go read the barkley reports right in this forum and its a prime example. someone talking about their kid landing 30 coho last weekend. I mean we all do it, sift through the 10 pounders till we get a 20 plus, or go flyfish for coho off the beaches, fish summer steelies in aug when the river temp is at 23 degrees. If you implement a rule like that it hurt the fishery. Dont get me wrong, there is lots of mis management going on in many of the fisheries. the few that are doing well halibut (was mistakenly managed which probably saved the fishery) and geoduck, which is pretty much self managed by the fishermen by themselves. Its just always harder than you think to implement these restrictions to try keep everyone happy.

Back