Delayed Opening of Halibut

This isnt about guides vs lodges its about anglers. Anglers fish on their own, or rent boats, or hire guides or stay lodges. Anglers catch the fish. I have yet to witness a rental boat, hotel, guide boats or a lodge beds catch a halibut. It is anglers catch which gets reported in log books. Anglers make the choices to go fishing! If the SFI or others speaks for measures that help anglers then that is great. Anglers in BC combined halibut catch regardless of where or how they fish make up the sport halibut TAC......100% of the sport TAC. Happy Angler = Happy guides + Happy Lodges.....

again its not anyone vs anyone.....its about letting the public know who will be most affected by DFO's reckless decision making....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

again its not anyone vs anyone.....its about letting the public know who will be most affected by DFO's reckless decision making....
exactly.....its anglers who will be most affected by any of these decisions....not sure about the reckless part.

It sure would appear to be Reckless... when it is affecting anglers and Charter bookings for February Halibut fishing opportunities! This time grab tactic has caused cancelations for a few i know of in the Victoria area, thats a fact, Period. Short notice on the closure, IMO. We were aware something was coming but not quite as drastic as a complete closure for the month.

Great Job by Jay and others, Keep up the dedicated good work!

add to that AT LEAST 75 cancellations so far out of Ucluelet.....flights, accomadations, meals.....add it up DFO

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

add to that AT LEAST 75 cancellations so far out of Ucluelet.....flights, accomadations, meals.....add it up DFO

This is only the tip of the iceberg, IF it doesn't get turned around... Economies WILL crash.

Just spoke with a commercial halibut fisherman, he was saying that sportys are going to be facing a limit of one hali per day, he told me they've been cut back by 31% over the last few years and now they are demanding more of the catch with halibut prices at an all time high of $8 per pound they need to make hay with all the other fisheries suffering the halibut fishery is the last profitable fishery and he was making it sound like it's a done deal, he's got a qota that expires feb 28 so he's going out to get his, so it sounds like all the rumours could be true the the commercials have put enough pressure on the dfo and ya we're going to get cut back so i want to be clear these are still rumours but coming from this guy I'm concerned I'll be speaking with him tommorrow so I'll post back,

Just spoke with a commercial halibut fisherman, he was saying that sportys are going to be facing a limit of one hali per day, he told me they've been cut back by 31% over the last few years and now they are demanding more of the catch with halibut prices at an all time high of $8 per pound they need to make hay with all the other fisheries suffering the halibut fishery is the last profitable fishery and he was making it sound like it's a done deal, he's got a qota that expires feb 28 so he's going out to get his, so it sounds like all the rumours could be true the the commercials have put enough pressure on the dfo and ya we're going to get cut back so i want to be clear these are still rumours but coming from this guy I'm concerned I'll be speaking with him tommorrow so I'll post back,

Mr.Killer;

Not sure who your source is but he seems a little misinformed. Here are a couple of things I picked up off the IPHC site and around the dock.

1) commercial and sports</u> have been cut by 31% in the last two years. The only difference is that the commercial sector was kept to there number and we went 300,000 over last year. The only number not affected by a reduction in TAC is the natives. I believe they have a fixed number at 300,000 lbs for food and cerimonial.

2)Commercials open March 8 - Nov 15. As far as I know the only groups that fish outside those dates are natives and us. Not sure what he meant by expires Feb 28.

Mr.Killer;

Not sure who your source is but he seems a little misinformed. Here are a couple of things I picked up off the IPHC site and around the dock.

1) commercial and sports</u> have been cut by 31% in the last two years. The only difference is that the commercial sector was kept to there number and we went 300,000 over last year. The only number not affected by a reduction in TAC is the natives. I believe they have a fixed number at 300,000 lbs for food and cerimonial.

2)Commercials open March 8 - Nov 15. As far as I know the only groups that fish outside those dates are natives and us. Not sure what he meant by expires Feb 28.

Cheers:

Very informative and lively discussion. First and foremost we have to protect the stock. In that I have been hearing universal support which one would expect from persons truly concerned about the future of halibut (or any) fishing opportunities. One would not want a repeat on the west coast what occurred on the east coast.

Having established that this proposed 'reduction' in halibut quotas is across the board (TAC) where all parties are suffering the same, with that I can live. We have a certain fishing pressure on the stock across BC waters involving commercial, native and sports persons is understandable. That the allocation has been arbitrarily placed at 86.7% commercial, 11.4% sports and 0.09 native, with an increase to the sports, from the commercial, to be arranged SINCE 2003 and that NOTHING HAS HAPPENED IN OVER 4 YEARS is NOT! Then, at the proverbial 'last moment', they run through the theatre yelling 'fire' and expect us to treat them seriously? This is totally unacceptable.

In a democratic society there must be respect for the law and, by extension, the persons placed in trust of that law. However, when the persons in charge (FOC) have shown such a total incapacity to manage even this simple type of activity, one must question their ability to manage 'ANY' in the interests of the people. This is a national resource, held in 'TRUST', for ALL persons in CANADA. Its management is too important to be allowed to be destroyed by incompetence. One only looks around to see what happened on the east coast to understand what 'might' occur and the consequences of such action.

I do not care about the price per pound of halibut. In fact one need only objectively look at the financial impact sport and commercial fishing has on the economy to determine that a sport caught fish has a vastly superior impact on the economy than does a commercial. I do care that every Canadian is afforded the opportunity, when conservation allows, to fish. This is a given right and, indeed, our heritage. As a nation we claim equality for all and champion the rights we possess. Can anyone imagine being told by a doctor that 87% of his patients must be male? Or rural? Yet we meekly accept that a national policy allows for such discrimination. Shame!

With this in mind I would argue that the halibut allocation should be immediately changed to 50% commercial, 50% sports and Native Food Fisheries to be deducted equally from both allocations. Anything less is simply unacceptable. And it should not take 4 years!

Let’s go fishing!

Cheers:

Very informative and lively discussion. First and foremost we have to protect the stock. In that I have been hearing universal support which one would expect from persons truly concerned about the future of halibut (or any) fishing opportunities. One would not want a repeat on the west coast what occurred on the east coast.

Having established that this proposed 'reduction' in halibut quotas is across the board (TAC) where all parties are suffering the same, with that I can live. We have a certain fishing pressure on the stock across BC waters involving commercial, native and sports persons is understandable. That the allocation has been arbitrarily placed at 86.7% commercial, 11.4% sports and 0.09 native, with an increase to the sports, from the commercial, to be arranged SINCE 2003 and that NOTHING HAS HAPPENED IN OVER 4 YEARS is NOT! Then, at the proverbial 'last moment', they run through the theatre yelling 'fire' and expect us to treat them seriously? This is totally unacceptable.

In a democratic society there must be respect for the law and, by extension, the persons placed in trust of that law. However, when the persons in charge (FOC) have shown such a total incapacity to manage even this simple type of activity, one must question their ability to manage 'ANY' in the interests of the people. This is a national resource, held in 'TRUST', for ALL persons in CANADA. Its management is too important to be allowed to be destroyed by incompetence. One only looks around to see what happened on the east coast to understand what 'might' occur and the consequences of such action.

I do not care about the price per pound of halibut. In fact one need only objectively look at the financial impact sport and commercial fishing has on the economy to determine that a sport caught fish has a vastly superior impact on the economy than does a commercial. I do care that every Canadian is afforded the opportunity, when conservation allows, to fish. This is a given right and, indeed, our heritage. As a nation we claim equality for all and champion the rights we possess. Can anyone imagine being told by a doctor that 87% of his patients must be male? Or rural? Yet we meekly accept that a national policy allows for such discrimination. Shame!

With this in mind I would argue that the halibut allocation should be immediately changed to 50% commercial, 50% sports and Native Food Fisheries to be deducted equally from both allocations. Anything less is simply unacceptable. And it should not take 4 years!

Let’s go fishing!

Nice try and very logical and agreeable reasons, Fishing Guide. But you are shooting for the stars with your 50-50% proposal. I will buy you many drinks if you make this happening...;)

Nice try and very logical and agreeable reasons, Fishing Guide. But you are shooting for the stars with your 50-50% proposal. I will buy you many drinks if you make this happening...;)

Cheers (Again):

It is very logical and, if I may say, common sense. However the problem with common sense is that it doesn't seem to be all that common!

As to 'making it happen' it will not occur with one person or one voice. It will occur with a collective effort.

As to 'shooting for the stars' I prefer to aim there rather than 'shooting ourselves in the foot' by offering 10 halibut a year while commercial interests catch tons. Total non-sense!

I AM Canadian!

Let's go fishing! eh!

Cheers (Again):

It is very logical and, if I may say, common sense. However the problem with common sense is that it doesn't seem to be all that common!

As to 'making it happen' it will not occur with one person or one voice. It will occur with a collective effort.

As to 'shooting for the stars' I prefer to aim there rather than 'shooting ourselves in the foot' by offering 10 halibut a year while commercial interests catch tons. Total non-sense!

I AM Canadian!

Let's go fishing! eh!

Excellent post FG
The way I see it, we DO own the entire (read: ALL) fisheries.

I'll 'settle' for what we demand as rec fishers, being a fair 'take'; under last years harvest regulations. If our demand increases then so should our allocation.

I have no problem harvesting 100% TAC. I'm of the understanding that if properly managed, the stocks actualy benefit from the harvest. If we had a 50% allocation, the harvest wouldn't be happening.

MANY people seem to believe that the fishery belongs to the commercial interests, and that their interests need</u> to come 1st... Why(?), I do not know.

Especially in the day of having all the info at your fingrer tips!

We anglers are our own worse enemy, at times.

fisher69
He's a commercial out of Rupert and he made a couple comments I misinterpreted I spoke with him again yesterday. 1. first and most important he does not know if our limit will change, he had made it sound like it was, but after speaking with him again it's clear the commercials are trying to get our limit changed, they figure because their quota has been reduced our bag should be too, bs yes. 2. he originally told me he could get his quota of 40000lbs whenever he wanted but it would expire at the end of the season and anything not caught would not carry forward, your right about your dates his quota dates start the beginning of march he's going out in april when the weather calms,

So for me being pretty uneducated on the subject compared to alot of the forumn members I understand now how the reduction of the commercial quota has driven up prices now they are trying to screw over all us sporties for their own selfish agenda.

Back