Halibut long liners off Victoria

Roberth

Crew Member
I went halibut fishing this morning from Esquimalt Anglers and while fishing watched three long liners fishing a mile and a half south of the harbour and Albert Head all morning. On the way back in counted at least 30 floats concentrated in a one square mile area 280 ft deep in the “honey hole” that’s off Albert Head. This area is full of juvenile halibut and they are taking them. What does this mean for our recreational fishery going forward. Sucks big time to see this

Same as every year.
I heard (is it true?) that the long liners come back to town for the long weekend with the family. Instead of the boat sitting at the dock with the gear on it, they drop their gear in the area. Tomorrow they will load the family on the boat and go for a lunch time cruise and pick up gear and make some $$$.

A few years ago they circled Constance Bank with floats and from that day on I went West to JR.

I also, wish they would shut it down to commercial halibut fishing from JR to Sidney.

Are you sure its halibut and not the commercial prawners? i think it opens today or tommorw im not sure
I dont think they long lined of victoria anymore...

Watched a crabbing boat pull in a long line of crab traps, (didn't know they did that) in 75-100ft of water off Colwood/Esquimalt waterfront Sunday. I could have very easily trolled right across it. It would be nice if there was some kind of sports fishing sanctuary around a large populated area. Commercial crabbing has certainly increased locally over the last couple of years. Hard to get a couple of nice keepers these days.

Last edited:
Are you sure its halibut and not the commercial prawners? i think it opens today or tommorw im not sure
I dont think they long lined of victoria anymore...
It’s long liners. Looked closely and they have no traps on the boat. Some of the floats were numbered 31117. That’s the fish store in James Bay. They usually fish out on the border and have for years. Must be slow out there and they came inshore

That is correct long liners usually have flags. Commercial crab has cylinder floats with a branded number, prawn uses red ball with a number and prn on it. If it is long liners don't worry they don't catch everything as halibut come and go . You will not hang up on long line crab gear if it's on long lines unless your dragging bottom. All crab areas have trap limits for the Commercial fleet. Reading the IFMP's for the different fisheries can be interesting.

Back