Delayed Opening of Halibut

I like the idea of a annual limit it makes sense how many hali can one eat in a year.(just a yanks option) We screwed ours up long ago. I think we kept 12 last year and I have enough to last my family until I start fishing again in May. We also never keep anything over 60lbs due to most of them being females. I hope you get it all figured out before May.

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

Remember, this is NOT a conservation issue for the species, just a battle for control and share of the catch.

Beg to differ with you on this statement, porcupine.
The Halibut Commission (IPHC) has an 85-year history of managing the Pacific Halibut Resource. As you may know,it is an international board composed of 3 Canadian and 3 American representatives. The Commission has an extensive Scientific and Statistical Staff that analyze the resource and make recommendations of catch quotas based on what their scientific data tells them. The Commission has successfully kept this resource in very healthy condition for most of it's 85 year history. The reductions that are being felt this year are the result of this continuing research, which shows that Halibut are not as abundant on the Eastern Gulf Coast (B.C. and Southeast Alaska)as previous data indicated. The Scientific and Statistical Committee made a recommendation to cut the catches substantially in these areas for the 2008 season, based on the data. The Commission does NOT make allocation decisions between sport and commercial fisheries. That decision is left to the 2 governments, which in Canada is, as you know, the DFO. In Alaska,the allocation decisions are made by the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council(NPFMC).

The Area 2B(Canada) quota for 2008 was reduced from 11.470 Million pounds in 2007 to 9.0 million pounds, a decrease of 21%. The decision of how to allocate that cut between gear groups is up to DFO. In Area 2C(Southeast Alaska) the 2008 quota will be 6.21 million pounds, down 28% from the 2007 quota of 8.51 million pounds. The NPFMC will decide how to allocate the cut between gear groups.
This year's cuts are absolutely a conservation,not allocation decision, although your gov't and mine will have to make decisions of how to regulate the season order to keep the catch at the allowed level.

Here in Southeast Alaska, the big issue is the halibut catch by guided sport anglers, who outnumber Alaska Resident sport anglers by a large number. In 2007, the NPFMC instituted a size restriction on guided sport anglers, allowing them to take only one fish/day over 32" in length, and one fish/day under that length. For 2008, the NPFMC guidelines call for reducing guided sport anglers daily bag limit to one fish/day. As you can imagine, this is not a popular option to the 700+ sportfishing guides in Southeast Alaska.

These quota reductions are a bitter pill to swallow, I agree, but I think you have to give the Halibut Commission the benefit of the doubt based on their track record managing this resource. DFO has the unenviable task of trying to reduce both the sport and commercial catches proportionately to accomodate the conservation measures the scientists deem necessary.

You can read the Scientific and Statistical Committee's summary of the health of the resource here:
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/newsrel/2007/nr20071205.htm
If you would like to read the DFO's Allocation plan, it can be found here:
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/commerc/CanadaStuff/Allocations.htm

When the season is closed, read that closed for sporties as well as commercials. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Was reading on the IPHC site and it seems to me that on their charts, as a percentage, the sport catch goes up and down with the commercial catch. Looks to me like they're proposing a reduction in catch across the board.
I hate the changes just like the rest of the guys, but when some say "this is NOT a conservation issue for the species, just a battle for control and share of the catch" you wanna put some facts, numbers behind your statements to help the rest of us see your point of view.
6.gif

cheers

I repeat, the SPECIES is not in danger of dissappearing, much like some of our mismanaged salmon stocks, it's just that the allotment will be smaller this coming year. The battle is over who gets how much.

Here is how I see it: the 12% sport - 88% commercial split of CDN hali catch has been in place for many years now. Until a few years ago sporties never even came close to their 12% share. The commercials said thanks and took the excess share of the sporties. Now that the sporties begin to take their 12% and more for a couple of years or so (let's say 15%) the commercials are crying and want at least expensive compensation. Now figure, what reduces the sport catch more: the TAC reduction of 21% or the commercials who want to drive us back under 12%? A reduction from 15% to 12% means 3% less, a 21% reduction of 12% is 2.5%. That means of the overall catch reduction that we sporties suffer this year, the majority is from a share reduction and not due to conservation measures which most of us would understand and gladly follow....

I would rather see that we negotiate a fair price for an increased share of 15% paid from a halibut stamp to the commercials and do not more harm to the recreational fishery in times when salmon fishing declines... And if the commercials don't make us a fair offer then let them retroactively pay them for all those years they benefited from us not filling our quota...

All of the approx 2500 independent guides working on the BC coast and a couple hundred thousand anglers who fish in BC coastal waters should be up in arms about all three senarios presented to the Canadian public.
One point should be made public and that is the fact that the lodges on the BC coast take 50% of the rec halibut and more in some areas,

"We do not have specific stats however we estimate it averages over 50% coastwise with some areas higher and some lower.Devona Adams DFO" when asked how much of the quota is taken by lodges so quit slaggin' the independant guides, they contribute to many small communities on Vancouver Island. The cancellations are coming in from all over the place, while the lodges are booked solid. These are guys like me and you and not multi million dollar corporations, they work their butts off day in day out, most days in the blazing sun and not so comfortable conditions....

The big lodges will contribute nothing under the present three senarios to the reduction in catch as the minimun stay at a lodge is three days, thus three days = three halibut. The ones paying the price is the rec fishermen and the independant guides who all will have their one day limits cut in half. Wonder who helped DFO come up with this intelligent plan. The lodge lobby is very well connected....Can anyone remember where the only place on the whole BC coast you could catch and retain a Coho during the Coho crisis not too long ago?.....

If the American thievery of "our " halibut is not resolved at the Swiftsure then why would any Canadian think that American rec anglers should be able to come up here and take any hali's back home. Guides out of Neah Bay taxi, bus etc their clients into Canada to purchase saltwater licences then proceed into Canadain waters, harvest Hali's take them back to the states and have it included in our quota without even stepping foot inside Canada....There are American guiding operations working in almost every sportfishing port on Vancouver Island, DFO Revenue Canada and others know full what is going on but don't seem the give a ^%**&^&^ and consistanly turn a blind eye to it in Nootka, Ucluelet,Port Renfrew on and on....

two hali's first day, zero and zero...ten per year no size limit. The average size rec catch is 20lbs under the DFO formula

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Here is how I see it: the 12% sport - 88% commercial split of CDN hali catch has been in place for many years now. Until a few years ago sporties never even came close to their 12% share. The commercials said thanks and took the excess share of the sporties. Now that the sporties begin to take their 12% and more for a couple of years or so (let's say 15%) the commercials are crying and want at least expensive compensation. Now figure, what reduces the sport catch more: the TAC reduction of 21% or the commercials who want to drive us back under 12%? A reduction from 15% to 12% means 3% less, a 21% reduction of 12% is 2.5%. That means of the overall catch reduction that we sporties suffer this year, the majority is from a share reduction and not due to conservation measures which most of us would understand and gladly follow....

I would rather see that we negotiate a fair price for an increased share of 15% paid from a halibut stamp to the commercials and do not more harm to the recreational fishery in times when salmon fishing declines... And if the commercials don't make us a fair offer then let them retroactively pay them for all those years they benefited from us not filling our quota...

To add;

If these proposals had ANYTHING to do w/ conservation; why would DFO transfer unused quota to other user groups?

Example.
Joe Fish elects to take only one fish of the three he's permited. With the transfer, the other 2 ain't goin to live to see another day anyhow... Where's the conservation in that?

DFO's mandate IS to achive TAC.

In order for the recfish to be anything other than a miniscule contributor in this percieved age group harvest issue, it would have to closed down completely. Even then it would amount to SFA.

These propasals are all about comercial interests and ventures. I've been digging for 2 whole days in the IPHC site. It's tough, but once you start connecting the dots; it reads as bright as a neon sign.

SMP. All the 'beefs' are with our DFO and the justification on implementing the new TAC.
As per CA's posted stat, our waters are doin fine, for the most part. The reduction of TAC imposed on us was a little heavy IMO BUT,,, I do see it as being better off safe than sorry. This battle SHOULD be between the comercial sector and IHPC though, as it is they (comfish) that targets the resource/age group of stock.

I honestly believe that for the most, its the alure of hooking into a biggun that keeps pewople comming back for more. The meat is a bonus, but that can be had FAR cheaper than the costs required to access this fishery, from a supermarket.

The maximum proposed size limits (85/90cm or ~3 feet) will greatly effect the participation levels within the sportfishery. This in turn will greatly benifit the comercial fleets as allocations transfer. Remember, DFO wants the TAC achieved</u>.

So yes, I do believe that these decisions were based on who has the most brawn and what our government envisions down the road... That could be stale fishboats fishing AND Salmon farms prospering,,, who TF knows?

A lot of talk, but I am a sport fisherman and I don't think a guided tour is.

I don't make any money at what I do, just spend it. I a lone maybe get 3 or 4 halibut a year not the 12 or more per trip that a guided fishing trip gets.

So limit me????????

Just a note...Transport Canada which now regulates commercial vessels, including guide vessels have implemented maximum numbers of persons permitted on charter vessels. The number is four plus operator for 99% of the charter vessels (24-26ft) so to keep saying charter vessles are taking 12 or more pieces per trip is misleading. The maximum a charter of 4 persons would be landing on a single day charter would be 8.....4 under the new scenarios presented. Remember the lodges are taking 50% or more in some areas by DFO's own admission, sportys, guides and non-resident anglers are taking the rest, but who is paying the price.....me and you

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

Just a note...Transport Canada which now regulates commercial vessels, including guide vessels have implemented maximum numbers of persons permitted on charter vessels. The number is four plus operator for 99% of the charter vessels (24-26ft) so to keep saying charter vessles are taking 12 or more pieces per trip is misleading. The maximum a charter of 4 persons would be landing on a single day charter would be 8.....

Every charter boat I know of in Renfrew including myself is TC inspected and ok'd for 5 or more. One is for 12... Where exactly did you get this? And several guides give their two hali's to the guests.

Usual Transport Canada BS, north island , mid-island, west coast, south coast seems to be different in every area....first I've heard of it being different down there....Borris and George are all over the map.......

Kelly,

I am thinking you will be grtiing something in the mail. I received a pile paperwork B.S with new regs and such yesterday. No cover letter just a bunch of brochure type jargon with talks of vessle capacities and limits of guests as mentioned above.

Just about time, the undertow to go underground with the others is rapidly nearing.

It's country wide, not area by area. The most for us I know is 12 for our 31fter but that's cause it is over 5GT. For our 22ftCampion the most is 6 plus Captain. Obviously we only take 4 per boat, but this is country wide. For any boat over 5GT you also need your limited masters. However, I was looking at boats from this past year that are 24ft long from West Coast Resorts and other lodges up in the Charlottes and not one of them had their C....BC number. The single 30ft Grady they use did...but none of the 24ft center console boats they use ????????

Well now it's all clear to me, these papers i was sent are ship safety bulletins on calculations of intact and damaged ship stablillity,changes within the certificate structure and transitional period from the marine personnel,carbon monoxide,heeling arm,downflooding and the static heel angle.

Now im going to go get my translater to put some of this in english so i can adjust the static heel on my 22 footer with my 2 halibut on board...[:p]

K, math is my forté and that stuff goes right over my head. I understand the radian blabber (as in what they are and how to calculate the degrees)...but still confusing as can be. And like I said all the big lodges websites I went to then looked at pictures from this past year, all their 24ft boats were not inspected as they still had the K numbers. They have gazillions of boats up there...that is definitely where some inspection should be going on.

Talked to Chad (richmake) a week or so ago and he said they don't even have a plan in place to inspect this summer or know how to go about doing it. I rather see money put into conservation personally, but if the money isn't going there either...then all the legislation put in was just a waste of money. Has anyone even ever had a spot check for it?

just talked with pres of campbell river guides assoc and most are four plus operator even some larger gradys.....lodges thats another story....they have their own set of rules apparently....maybe thats where TC has been tripped up....no more yellow stickers either...for anyone...thats what the nanaimo office is saying...stay tuned

Well, now I'm curious if even for 4 people you need Limited Masters...I'm fairly sure you do...but I know Limited Masters covers up to 12....hmmmmmmm......

Back