Comox Harbour / Red Bell fishing reports

GLG

I think it's time to start a new thread about the fishing around Comox.
Last year at this time it was hot. This year who knows?
I was out last night (Sunday Aug 27) picked up 2 small springs and 1 wild Coho. Great fight from the Coho as it jumped several times clear out of the water as Coho do. I have been out most days for the last two weeks. I would not say it’s hot but we have managed to get something each day. I have taken a few friends out there to get some experience fishing off my boat. Best to make mistakes on small fish close to home than on large fish far from home.
Here is what has worked best for me.
Depth has been 40 to 45 feet.
Spoon’s are watermelon and silver prism in 3 ½ inch.
Flasher Purple Haze, Green/Silver, Purple/Silver
Leader length has been 4 to 5 feet
Speed medium to fast troll.
I have heard at the dock other stuff is working too.
Hope others will add to the list as I see other boats not doing as well.
GLG
PS.. Sept 1 the inner part to the bell opens for retention.
Check on the DFO site for the line.

The Chinooks are late this year it should pick up soon. They are just starting to show up north of the narrows this past week.

We have family that live out by Bates and have an excellent view of the area.They say when the weather is good there have been a dozen or so boats out.
Wonder whats happening out there.
Also
Have been getting some fish out by Norris Rocks in the past couple of weeks.A friend got a 20 lb.er about a week ago.He was ecstatic because he caught a beauty on the inside

So true CA
He thought he had a seal,couldnt believe it almost when he saw the chrome

Fished there five days ago for a couple hours with no success. Should be getting better soon. I use hootchies or 5 inch wonder spoons with no flasher. Seems to work for me.

Fished there five days ago for a couple hours with no success. Should be getting better soon. I use hootchies or 5 inch wonder spoons with no flasher. Seems to work for me.

I should add that the flashers in my 1st post should be
green/gold and purple/gold
I can't edit that post.
GLG

I should add that the flashers in my 1st post should be
green/gold and purple/gold
I can't edit that post.
GLG

Nice timing on the the post GLG. I can confirm a 24 and 29 from Friday night at Kitty Coleman. I'm quite interested in this Comox Bar and harbour fishery that's setting up here. I see at least a dozen boats out in the evenings lately. I know it was quite hot last fall as GLG mentioned, lets hope we get a repeat return. How are the seals out at the bell buoy? Do I need my wristrocket;) eman

Nice timing on the the post GLG. I can confirm a 24 and 29 from Friday night at Kitty Coleman. I'm quite interested in this Comox Bar and harbour fishery that's setting up here. I see at least a dozen boats out in the evenings lately. I know it was quite hot last fall as GLG mentioned, lets hope we get a repeat return. How are the seals out at the bell buoy? Do I need my wristrocket;) eman

eaglemaniac - Seen very few seals,none have made a move on the fish I have caught this year. Last year only caught one seal. Thats another story.
GLG

eaglemaniac - Seen very few seals,none have made a move on the fish I have caught this year. Last year only caught one seal. Thats another story.
GLG

i hear the harbour is still closed after Sept, but from the bell bouy to the tip of the spit is open for springs and coho. I have seen some big ones caught this week at singing sands, two over 30 and a 25.

Lazoman - Not sure about the still closed part. My understanding is non-retention of springs. You can still fish, but let the nooks go. I was under the impression that it would open (retention) Sept 1, also you can keep a 1 wild and 1 marked Coho then too. Now I'll have to contact my lawyer to get the regs translated (LOL). I did spot DFO last week doing lots of trolling patterns out there. They must have sounders that count fish.
GLG
Should add I was out from 6:30 - 8:30 with a bunch of other boats.
Did not see one fish caught.

Sept 1st, harbour is open to Chinook. (14/11)

It is about time that the Department wrote regulations state what is open rather than what is closed.

Check with the Comox DFO office.

Area 14

Effective September 1 to December 31 you may retain two (2) coho per day
(hatchery marked or unmarked), one (1) of which may be unmarked in the
following areas :

Subarea 14-11 [Baynes Sound inside a line from the Cape Lazo Light, then to the
P-54 Bell Buoy on Comox Bar, then to Longbeak Point, then to the mouth of Hart
(Washer) Creek].
***(this is not the harbour, but from the point of the spit to the bell buoy...lazoman)

Effective January 1 to December 31 there is non-retention of chinook salmon in the
following waters:
• Subarea 14-14. [Comox harbour].
Effective May 1 to August 31 there is non-retention of chinook salmon in the following
waters:
• Subarea 14-11. [Baynes Sound inside a line from the Cape Lazo Light, then to the P-
54 Bell Buoy on Comox Bar, then to Longbeak Point, then to the mouth of Hart
(Washer) Creek].

Lazoman - That’s what I thought. Thanks for posting the rules. Seen lots of boats bending the line out by the bell. I wonder if they would release if they hooked up a spring. I was fishing (hunting) out side the harbour and some nice gents told me it was closed. I told them C/R so it’s a common error. Did not mark any on the sounder anyway. Will be keeping a close eye on this and hope it’s like last year. I can tell by the parking lot that others are too. GLG

Back