Comox Harbour / Red Bell fishing reports

Maybe I'm stunded or something but I don't see that there is an opening for springs Sept 1

I know, its funny, but the trick is in the ending of the non-retention, (which means keeping them, lol)

Effective May 1 to August 31 there is non-retention</u> of chinook salmon in the following
waters:
• Subarea 14-11. [Baynes Sound inside a line from the Cape Lazo Light, then to the P-
54 Bell Buoy on Comox Bar, then to Longbeak Point, then to the mouth of Hart
(Washer) Creek].

Saw pinks and a few springs surfacing tonight near the beaches around the spit.

Brokenrod
I just talked to DFO(a lenghty discussion) and they said clearly it is open as of Sept.1.They have discussed it amongst the officers and it is open tommorrow for chinook retention.They also mentioned to watch for notices as it could change at any time

I can't believe you said that!!!![:p]
Keep up the great reports, all....Living varcariously for the moment until I get back home on the 15th....
Hoping that Comox is still producing.
If not, that's what trailers are for.

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

Thanks Craving More Head! :D

:D:D:D:D[:p][:p][:p]
That is simply hilarious Brokenrod! Great handle there Craving More Head [:p] I really hope that's not your real name not that there is anything wrong with that, the name or the.... If so, I hope it's steelhead. :D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Lazoman - Not sure about the still closed part. My understanding is non-retention of springs. You can still fish, but let the nooks go. I was under the impression that it would open (retention) Sept 1, also you can keep a 1 wild and 1 marked Coho then too. Now I'll have to contact my lawyer to get the regs translated (LOL). I did spot DFO last week doing lots of trolling patterns out there. They must have sounders that count fish.
GLG
Should add I was out from 6:30 - 8:30 with a bunch of other boats.
Did not see one fish caught.

The DFo Vessel out there was actually doing a bathymetric survey, eg bottom survey for charting purposes not fish counting. Let hope the nookies start running in numbers this long weekend. There ain't no nookie like chinookie

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Lazoman - That’s what I thought. Thanks for posting the rules. Seen lots of boats bending the line out by the bell. I wonder if they would release if they hooked up a spring. I was fishing (hunting) out side the harbour and some nice gents told me it was closed. I told them C/R so it’s a common error. Did not mark any on the sounder anyway. Will be keeping a close eye on this and hope it’s like last year. I can tell by the parking lot that others are too. GLG

Fished Favada on Texada this morning and then over to 8 fathom reef and have a 15 deep red to show for it. (Not all some has already hit the BBQ) Tons of bait and they still are taking the Army Truck Hootchie in about 20 feet on the 120 depth line.

Fished today 2-6PM came up empty. Might have to go to the Big Q to get some action. Thanks for the info bajabreeze. GLG

Lazoman were you at point holmes by the ramp?
GLG

Last view of vancouver island for the next 5 months as i flew off to the praries this morning was 3 boats trolling the buoy in the fog and heavy rain at 8 this morning. Wished i was in the boat instead of a plane!

Because the water is cooler this year it looks like the springs are not holding in the bay but going straight up the river. Most boats out yesterday got skunked.

Got my coho up the beach past curtis road towards the spit. Lots of jumpers, mostly pinks. When he hooked I knew it wasnt a pink, pretty good run up and down trying to keep up with him.

How's the evening bite there fella's?
Mornings have been slow.
Calm before the storm maybe?

Im still picking up the odd coho and pink from the beaches. Just got home with a decent wild coho, and the meat is all full of small white bumps, like zits, yuck. Any ideas what they might be?

Back