Canucks 2021 Season

I am blaming everyone I can as I am sure FA was sold on Bennings initial plan and now he has politely approved his latest $13m in overall savings.
Doesn’t the club still pay the full salary? He’s not saving money. He’s spending more with a buyout, and still gets screwed with a cap hit.

Cap hit looks bad for two years but then its not that bad after that for five years or so

This is what I think I understand about the buyout rules.
Canucks had 2 options pay him about $30m over 4 years of his remaining contract with zero cap relief or buy him out at $2.4m over 8 years ($19.2m) and therefore acquire short term cap relief. Since OEL is over 30 the buyout pays him 2/3rds of his remaining contract over twice the remaining length of his contract. Therefore 8 years. Great deal for OEL to get paid to go away and still to be in a position to sign with another NHL team or head back to Sweden. The first year short term cap saving around $7m is huge which in turn hopefully gets the Canucks an opportunity to pursue teams that need to shed quality players to get under the cap. As for the long term the cap hit in the later years at $4.7m is the cost of getting out of this mess without sacrificing draft picks, etc. As time goes on the Cap will hopefully increase anyway.
I don’t know worst trade in Canucks history by Benning or the Cam Neely trade back in the day?
Personally I think Riverboy nailed it! LOL

As time goes on the Cap will hopefully increase anyway.
The problem I see is the well managed teams will have productive players instead of cap penalties with that increased cap space so they still won’t gain much ground

OEL is making out like a bandit as he not surprisingly just signed with Florida for 1 year at $2.25m. Will be interesting how well it plays out in Florida after his ankle injury. He’s got something to prove so again we just keep on giving.
Schenn to Nashville 3 years at $2.75 per. Good on him as he gave it all for the Canucks. Wanted him back but not at that term or $$$.
Burroughs to SJ 3yrs at 1.1m per year. Good on him as well.
Canucks so far Ian Cole Defence $3m 1 year, Ted Blueger $1.9 1 year.
Carson Soucy defence 3 yr at $3.25 m. Huge boy, good signing.

Last edited:
Eight BCHL players drafted to by NHL teams last week, not bad for a Junior A league. And half of that eight - including a first round pick - came from the Penticton Vees organization. Congratulations Brad Nadeau, hope it works out for you at Carolina.

Back