Buying boat in US

We bot our boat in Cali 2 1/2 yrs back and very easy to do.
Drove down to Bakersfield and hauled it home.
Had the paperwork pre-done etc and taxes prepaid buy our customs broker so was very simple.
No one at the border even looked at the boat or trailer.
Just stamped the paperwork and away you go.
The engine still had the Mercury warranty so was good for piece of mind.
The values on lightly used boats down South are very compelling, our boat only had 29 hrs on it and was bot for approx 50% of replacement.
Last year bot a car in Seattle too, 2 year old lease return with 9200 miles, great value on it compared to local market at the time.
Why not save $$, buys alot of beer and boat gas eh!

Read Peahead's post above as he covers all the important points.
He's right it can be stressful but the fun is in the hunt of finding the right deal!
Can be an real adrenaline rush!
I'm sure my wife gets just as excited when she buys shoes, I just get to buy the big stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a 26' in Sandiego-sp fishing has been poor down there and recession-great bargains. I have 'buying south of 49' that you are welcome to if you are close to Steveston.Mike

3 boats up from USA this winter- 2 shipped across border by transport shipper and one I picked up in Blaine from shipper with my own truck. Used a broker for boats that were shipped across border (but as others mentioned, if you are picking it up in Blaine yourself, I wouldn't bother using a broker as it was about 500 bucks for that service and its straight foward)
The trailer is the more difficult item to bring across the border because there is more to deal with ( its considered a vehicle ) so if the boat is shipped without a trailer or shipped on a transport company's trailer, its a simple process to get the boat across. You can pick it up with your own trailer in Blaine or there are some shippers that will bring the boat across and drop at any marina that has travel lift. Shipping/loading will be a bit higher cost if boat is shipped on a gooseneck/flatdeck as opposed to a haul-away tow using a boat trailer.

Here are some important points , especially when including the trailer in a boat shipment into canada.

- check to make sure shipper has appropriate insurance ( ask to see copy) and/or buy some shipping insurance - I did both.

- make sure you have all your paper work when crossing border- bill of sales, signed off titles. Proof of the asking price in the ad is a good idea if private sale --- there are lots of past threads on this forum about all these details of paperwork needed. I got lots of info from members here !!

- ***** trailer must have a LEGIBLE VIN NUMBER (sticker/plate) before you buy it otherwise you will have BIG HASSLES getting a Canadian Federal RIV certification***** plus the border may not allow it to cross/enter.

- MAKE SURE all paperwork /bill of sales including your title papers all have matching VIN number ( to the trailer) and S/N number ( to the boat) . Of the two trailers brought across the border this winter BOTH had VIN number typo's on paperwork. One letter was off and it caused hours/days of hassle . In one case it took 2 weeks for the New York dealership (prior to the boat/trailer shipment) to get a trailer title corrected to match the proper VIN on trailer ( a Y was written on original title paper from Arkansas instead of a 4 which was on the actual VIN) !! If I had not noticed that and insisted the dealership get it corrected I likely would have been stuck at the border with a trailer that was not allowed to cross into canada if they too noticed - or in Canada getting a RIV would have been a nightmare.

- get a "recall waiver" letter from the trailer manufacturer (easy to get but the trailer must have VIN sticker to get this info and the waiver letter must be on trailer manufacturers letterhead, signed and be dated no less than a month prior to entry into canada

- Bill of sale should show trailer seperate from boat (no need to seperate boat and motor though, infact simpler if you don't)

- Boat/motor made in US will only cost you HST and no duty. Despite motor being Yamaha, it is assembled/made in USA therefore no duty , just HST.

- Boat/motor/trailer purchased in a US state will not cost you state tax because you are taking it out of the state . Dealership will ask you to fill out form waiving them of need to charge you US state tax. No US state sales tax on motor as you are removing it from state. If motor is attached to boat and sold as a boat including motor then a motor is not looked at seperately

- you will pay HST on boat at border and gst only on the trailer ( A broker will bill that well in advance if you are using a broker. A broker also charges the RIV on the trailer and gives you your RIV paperwork to take to Crappy Tire.
(ICBC gets the pst off you later upon getting insurance)

Do your homework and it is exciting but it does come with stress.
When the last boat was over a month late being picked up I was glad I got insurance (here ) for the storage and the shipping. Also I was glad that as part of the deal , I didn't have to pay any storage costs while the boat sat for over a month after purchase.[/QUOTE

I heard of a guy a few years ago that took his number and letter stamps and punched the vin onto the tongue because the vin decal was too old to read

Hi all, reviving this old thread. I am going to have a transport company haul my new 20' boat on a trailer from California to Blaine where I will pick it up and import across the border. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to if anyone is able to help out (thanks to Peahead for the great post above!)

- Do I need to purchase the ICBC Binder Insurance before the transport company picks up or just for the last leg that I will be towing the trailer?

- How do I get an In-Transit Permit from California DMV?

Also, any west coast transport companies that folks could recommend? Thanks in advance.

Back