Browns Bay Reports?

got invited to join some buddies fishing up there next weekend (Oct 1)...is that a little early for the chum run typically or should there be a few around? Not super important, as it's really just an excuse to get away from our wives and kids for a couple days...
Thanks!

There's some chum there already, lots of coho, and still a few (but no so many now), pinks, and some big springs.
Been hitting everything at spring depth, depends on what you want to fish for.

Went for a test fish on Saturday to see if I could scratch up a spring or maybe a chum.
Only caught a few pinks but did manage to see a rather large one (pink).
Did hear from someone on the water, at the time, that he picked up a chum.
Mike at the gasbar said he has reports of a few chum coming in.
He also told me that all the slips are now full and there is a waiting list from the chum derby.
Looks like it has booked up early this year and if you don't have a slip you maybe sol.
Lot's of tickets left as I think there have sold around 175 so far.
Will be back when the weather clears to dial in on the chum as I expect to win this years derby:p
GLG

Probably me that picked the chum. Was about 11 lbs . Was yapping with my buddy Bruce ch 12.... had a double header coho as well a bit later once the weather straightened out. Chum was on the wall side at 120, coho were across the way in the bay, at 88 and 71 all on green flasher / anchovie. An OBMG guide beside us got a triple moments before the double coho, and he brought in a spring, coho, and pink... Springs are still there but the bite was very slow mostly. Figure I had one on with a hit and strip at about 11, but was quite hard to tell. Wasn't going to go, but buddy phoned me at 5 am to tell me the rain was stopping so I had no excuse. Today I thought about it, but ended up with wife, kids, and a friend, and his family for breakfast so, probably get out again later this week if the weather keeps smart. Ah a Sunday with the wife and kids has been worth it too.
Best of luck to those fishing today.

Last edited by a moderator:
seine opening for one, day along with troller opening,

it would appear, maybe some chum are coming?

Areas 12 & 13
The Area B Seine fishery for Johnstone Strait chum will be managed as a derby
style fishery for 2011. The fishery is open during the time period and areas
described below:

Area 12 (Upper Johnstone Strait)
Seines open for 12 hours from 07:00 hours Tuesday, October 4 to 19:00 hours
Tuesday, October 4 in Subareas 12-1 to 12-6, 12-8 to 12-12, a portion of 12-18
(easterly of a line running from Lewis Point to Donegal Head on Malcolm
Island),12-20, 12-21 and 12-24. Minimum bunt-mesh size 100 mm. The regular
Adams River boundary will be in effect. The seine ribbon boundary will not be
in effect.

Variation Order No. 2011-CR-SN-074

Area 13 (Lower Johnstone Strait)
Seines open for 12 hours from 07:00 hours Tuesday, October 4 to 19:00 hours
Tuesday, October 4 in Subareas 13-6, 13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay), 13-8 to 13-
10, a portion of 13-11 lying west of a line from Bodega Point on Quadra Island
to a boundary sign at 50 degrees 16.390 minutes N by 125 degrees 22.620 minutes
W, 13-27 to 13-32, 13-35 and a portion of 13-40 (westerly of a line running
from the Prominent Point approximately 1.5 miles east of Eden Point across to a
boundary sign on the Hardwicke Island shore opposite). Minimum bunt-mesh size
100 mm. The regular Amor de Cosmos Creek boundary will be in effect (waters
surrounding the mouth of Amor de Cosmos Creek inside the radius of a circle 337
m in diameter intersecting the shoreline at 50°21.867' N and 125°47.171' W
[east of the creek mouth] and 50°21.658' N and 125°41.630' W [west of the creek
mouth]). The seine ribbon boundary will not be in effect.

Variation Order No. 2011-CR-SN-075

I can confirm some chum are there. Have been for almost two weeks, but in light numbers, but starting to thicken Seadog.

:)

On a side note everything caught on Sat was puking up little white squid on the boat floor so a white glow hoochie might produce. Does anyone know of any decent prawning spots north of BB within a 20 min or so run? I'd love to give it a whirl. I see the odd crab trap in Elk Bay, but I dropped once there two traps with no success. Prawns would be very interesting if there's a good haunt somewhere within the 20 min run.

Was out today... Three really big fat pinks, a couple nice large wild coho that went back, a couple chum, and a really big pop off but miss that may or may not have been a straggling spring. Also had a humpback whale hanging around all day, and a couple dolphins cruising around. Was a nice day.

Was going to plan on spending a couple days fishing up there and camp for the night..or something like that.
got their rates today.. 35 nite for the site and 19.50 for moorage Plus HST and that is during MID WEEK!
me thinks I can drive home for less than that...

I should say I am not mooring the titanic... only a 17 ft boat

Yeah and some hoochies as well but anchovies are still working.
Quite surprised that the pinks were still there, and by the size of those that are there now.
Chum are at 60 feet.
Hit one very large coho at 120 and it shot for the surface like a rocket. Must have gotten 5 feet of air time. Without weighing it, was at least 15 or more. Was a good day all in all.

IG - we're heading up next weekend - our firt time - Yeah, it's more than a campsite but I'm told it has really nice facilities including a HOT TUB!
Long day of fishing, nice indoor shower, dinner, then a soak in a hot tub...... $35 seems cheap to me.
I have friends that go there regulairly because it's so nice and they take the whole family... they live in Nanaimo, the wife really likes it there.
I suggest you try it at least once.

Yeah it's a pretty cool place. I call it a hidden gem. Don't count on the restaurant too much, as they've been closed for breakfast and lunch and only open for dinners. If you're camping though, you're pretty set. The one thing that stinks though is lack of campfire rings in each site. Depends on how you camp, how much it will affect you. Chovies are about 11.00 a pack there. They carry 5 1/4 and 6" ones.. The store has some "in a pinch" gear as well.Fuel barge is open 8 am to 5 pm only. (Not exactly fishing hours), so plan accordingly.

Was going to plan on spending a couple days fishing up there and camp for the night..or something like that.
got their rates today.. 35 nite for the site and 19.50 for moorage Plus HST and that is during MID WEEK!
me thinks I can drive home for less than that...

I should say I am not mooring the titanic... only a 17 ft boat
Don't forget they also charge $12 for a launch fee is top of the moorage. Plus $11 a pack for choive.

IG - we're heading up next weekend - our firt time - Yeah, it's more than a campsite but I'm told it has really nice facilities including a HOT TUB!
Long day of fishing, nice indoor shower, dinner, then a soak in a hot tub...... $35 seems cheap to me.
I have friends that go there regulairly because it's so nice and they take the whole family... they live in Nanaimo, the wife really likes it there.
I suggest you try it at least once.

Stayed there lots.. but the pice was ALOT less last time I stayed there.. 2 years ago
Done the derby quite a few times too.. : )

Easy drive from home here in the comox valley.
I know that mid week in OCT Alot of sites are empty and better some $$ than none! I have stayed there a few days prior to the chum derby in previous years and it was DEAD..
I mean 3-4 campsites occupied in the entire place.

New owners took over in 2009 so things may have changed.
I will fish chummies for sure but trailer each day from the valley.

It is a nice spot.. but between moorage and camping mid week in Oct.. over 60 $ a night...YIKES!

BB misc

Hey, 2much!

You bringing your 2 extra limits?

We always fly rubber at BB this time of year, more relaxing than bait.
Another thing to try is a Googly, stop in at River Sports (on your left before the bridge in CR). Ridiculous looking things but they do work. I usually just pretend we're after sox and it works out fine. Like sox, if they are there, you'll get some.

As an aside, off to interior for moose tonight....will be paying over $100 per night for a plywood shack, so BB prices aren't too bad from that standpoint - AND we don't have to pay for the big canoe to get to BB either!
Hope to put the daughter onto a WT, yum!

L8R

Smiley.

Fished BB all afternoon, 2 bright Pinks, 1 Chum and 6 shaker Coho. Great afternoon on the water once again. very few rec fishers around. Many commercial boats in the area. Saw 2 boats setting out their gillnets for high slack this eve.

Back