boat engine mechanic in Vancouver

Tough to say over the internet, 2 beeps meh. Should be one. Let's start with that. Engine plug could possibly be it. We'll see

two beeps almost sounds like it thinks the shifter is still in gear

Somthing.. however the shift switch on the engine will not interrupt the start circuit. Im almost 100 percent sure. The neutral safety does at the control.

Somthing.. however the shift switch on the engine will not interrupt the start circuit. Im almost 100 percent sure. The neutral safety does at the control.
My neutral safety is on top of the engine of my 2015 305 MPI

Thats not a neutral safety, thats a shift interrupter switch. Neutral safety is in the control, that one straight interrupts the start circuit.

On my old 5.0L merc I had some kind of sensor that caused this issue. Cheap part, two seconds to change. Took forever to diagnose.

Looks like you have lots of room to access stuff in your bilge. How was it shifting before? You'd be surprised how often a no start condition is due to shift cable or neutral safety switches. As for beeps, my VP of the same generation beeps twice too. You could also try to bump the starter directly off the batter with jumpers, in a hey hold my beer moment. Coolant in the bottle looks ok, make sure the oil isn't contaminated with coolant or gas so you have an idea if it's hydrolocked or not. In fact, first thing I would do is pull a plug out to see how it looks.

Looks like you have lots of room to access stuff in your bilge. How was it shifting before? You'd be surprised how often a no start condition is due to shift cable or neutral safety switches. As for beeps, my VP of the same generation beeps twice too. You could also try to bump the starter directly off the batter with jumpers, in a hey hold my beer moment. Coolant in the bottle looks ok, make sure the oil isn't contaminated with coolant or gas so you have an idea if it's hydrolocked or not. In fact, first thing I would do is pull a plug out to see how it looks.
Will check for these. Thank you

Yeah but like I said if got no clicky then starter no worky. Can't jump into step B if you haven't gone through step A. Step A, get starter worky. Shift interrupted switch on the engine will not disable the start circuit. Shift cables being stiff or mis aligned will not interrupt the start circuit.

My boat won't start if it's not in neutral with a functional safety swtich...anyway voltmeter time see if 12v is making its way to the solenoid or not.

The control has that feature not the shift interrupter switch on top the engine.

Last edited:
Anyway he's getting the beeps so it must be in neutral. Not many sensors on there as it's precats so that makes life a tiny bit easier. Mine is tbi and corrosion will build on the 30A Run fuses. Is the fuel pump priming? Should be able to hear it. Helpful to understand how far power is making its way.

Anyway he's getting the beeps so it must be in neutral. Not many sensors on there as it's precats so that makes life a tiny bit easier. Mine is tbi and corrosion will build on the 30A Run fuses. Is the fuel pump priming? Should be able to hear it. Helpful to understand how far power is making its way.
We didn't check fuel pump yet. If fuel pump, starter should still trying to start, but now seems starter dead or other thing, but will check out fuel supply for sure. Thank you

Back