boat engine mechanic in Vancouver

Can you share some more details of the symptoms? Does it crank and not fire? Or is it not even cranking at all?

Lots of talent on the board here to assist if you want to give it some effort yourself first.

Can you share some more details of the symptoms? Does it crank and not fire? Or is it not even cranking at all?

Lots of talent on the board here to assist if you want to give it some effort yourself first.
Not cranking at all, Try to start, only 2 beeps ,that is it. We were fishing ,turn off engine to drop crab trap, then never turn on. First a few times, still cranking, after a few times, may be battery dead. Towed back, checked battery is litter low voltage, changed new battery, then just 2 short beeps

pull the black cover off the top, check the main circuit breaker on top of engine.... check the 3or 4 fuses that are mounted by the exhaust riser, port side. might be a corroded and melted fuse. swap two relays on the engine. ie crack for fuel pump relays....
get a big ratchet and socket on the crank pulley bolt, see if the engine turns over by hand. get a test light and hold it to the small yellow wire on the starter solenoid while someone turns the key, it should light up... jump a wire/screw driver/ wrench from the red heavy 12v starter wire to the small terminal with the yellow wire on it... engine should crank over at this point.

Getting ahead, let's start with battery. Wanna see this. Then simply does it click? Or engage at all. Then all the other things

Show us a picture of your battery. I charge beer tax for this fyi
This is previous battery. Changed same size ,same Amp polar battery

Attachments

• 20230104_215658.jpg
    20230104_215658.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 53
pull the black cover off the top, check the main circuit breaker on top of engine.... check the 3or 4 fuses that are mounted by the exhaust riser, port side. might be a corroded and melted fuse. swap two relays on the engine. ie crack for fuel pump relays....
get a big ratchet and socket on the crank pulley bolt, see if the engine turns over by hand. get a test light and hold it to the small yellow wire on the starter solenoid while someone turns the key, it should light up... jump a wire/screw driver/ wrench from the red heavy 12v starter wire to the small terminal with the yellow wire on it... engine should crank over at this point.
I checked the circuit breaker, can't push back. Other procedures I didn't check, but appreciate your suggestions anyway. Will check it later( it is in milltown marina )

I just wanted to see the connections onto the battery

Can you hear the solenoid click?

Getting ahead, let's start with battery. Wanna see this. Then simply does it click? Or engage at all. Then all the other things
My friend a electrician checked old battery voltage, just 12v, he said a little low, so I changed brand new battery(same starting amp), but just 2 beeps ,that is it

Well if you don't hear a click from the solenoid it's either the key switch, saftey lanyard, or the neutral safety. One way to check quick is to apply 12v to the solenoid input. There will be a 14/16 awg wire at the starter on the solenoid, jump that to 12v, if it trues to start then it's one of the 3. If not you got a starter problem

I just wanted to see the connections onto the battery

Can you hear the solenoid click?
I don't have the current battery connection pic( boat is in marina. But I changed battery myself, I did same way as previously connection, and did tighten up for sure. Attached new battery pic and old battery

Attachments

• mmexport1672899197534.jpg
    mmexport1672899197534.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230104_215658.jpg
    20230104_215658.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 18
Well if you don't hear a click from the solenoid it's either the key switch, saftey lanyard, or the neutral safety. One way to check quick is to apply 12v to the solenoid input. There will be a 14/16 awg wire at the starter on the solenoid, jump that to 12v, if it trues to start then it's one of the 3. If not you got a starter problem
saftey lanyard, or the neutral safety are in right position for sure. I will do the checking as your suggest. Thank you

Boy this is gonna cost some beer for sure.

You have a yellow with red stripe going from your key switch, through your controls and back to the key switch, then it goes to the start solenoid. That's the 12v input from the key to the solenoid. Need to check that for 12v when cranking. If no juice, then either the safety switch built into the control or the key switch. We already know you have power at the key because you hear beeps. The engine harness plug could also be loose or bits of corrosion in there. But let's start with the first 2

Boy this is gonna cost some beer for sure.

You have a yellow with red stripe going from your key switch, through your controls and back to the key switch, then it goes to the start solenoid. That's the 12v input from the key to the solenoid. Need to check that for 12v when cranking. If no juice, then either the safety switch built into the control or the key switch. We already know you have power at the key because you hear beeps. The engine harness plug could also be loose or bits of corrosion in there. But let's start with the first 2
Will do. Will get back on weekend when come to marina. Appreciate your suggestions

Back