Bellingham to Bamfield

Sea Cowboy

I am heading to Bamfield the last week in June and after some preliminary research, I am feeling that running my boat from Bellingham to Bamfield is the best way to go. I have not run the boat from Bellingham up there yet and was wondering if any forum Members would have some insight or suggestions on a good place to clear Customs on the way up (Victoria, etc)? The weather and water conditions are just a variable that I'll have to prepare for. I am thinking it would take 5 hours of run time (150+ nautical miles at 30 mph if conditions are great) - not including the time it'll take to hit a port and clear Customs. I think the fee to catch the ferry over to Nanaimo would be $500-600 each way. I guess I'd rather enjoy a beautiful boat ride and get there in the same amount of time (or sooner) depending on weather.
Is there anything that I need to be focused on other than clearing Customs, etc? Any suggestions or input on whether I should rethink this plan? Thanks in advance!

I have done the trip from Vancouver and back 4 times. Its about 7 hours for me.
What kind of boat do you have? The weather can be very variable along the way and fog can be a big issue although not so much in June.
Dont plan to be doing 30mph the whole way. 20 to 25mph more like it. Even when calm there is usually swells that slow you down.
On one trip we hit fog at Race Rocks and never saw the sky again untill Bamfield, 5 hours later.
It is usually better to transit in the ealry morning before winds pick up.
I would clear customs in Victoria harbour and then top up your fuel. It is about 105 miles from there into the Bamfield inlet.
Once you pass Port Renfrew there is nothing for 2 hours untill you turn the corner into Bamfield. Also a long stretch from Sooke to Refrew.
Happy to answer any more questions if I can.

I have done the trip from Vancouver and back 4 times. Its about 7 hours for me.
What kind of boat do you have? The weather can be very variable along the way and fog can be a big issue although not so much in June.
Dont plan to be doing 30mph the whole way. 20 to 25mph more like it. Even when calm there is usually swells that slow you down.
On one trip we hit fog at Race Rocks and never saw the sky again untill Bamfield, 5 hours later.
It is usually better to transit in the ealry morning before winds pick up.
I would clear customs in Victoria harbour and then top up your fuel. It is about 105 miles from there into the Bamfield inlet.
Once you pass Port Renfrew there is nothing for 2 hours untill you turn the corner into Bamfield. Also a long stretch from Sooke to Refrew.
Happy to answer any more questions if I can.
Thanks so much for the reply and info. I really appreciate it. I have an 26' Osprey long cabin. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of speed and time to get there. It would need to be a pond for me to maintain that speed all the way there. I've run from Renfrew up to Nitinat a number of times and that's just about 1/2 way to Bamfield. Can't remember ever going more than 20 mph because of the swells alone (and they were good days). If given the choice of either trailering or running a 26' boat up, what would you choose/suggest? Based on your pic, I don't know if you could trailer your boat:) Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.

This sounds like a blast. We thought about running from Port Moody to Bamfield but thought it would take a lot longer.

Keep in mind that our gas is basically $6 per gallon so you're gonna be into a big gas bill for that run.

This sounds like a blast. We thought about running from Port Moody to Bamfield but thought it would take a lot longer.

Keep in mind that our gas is basically $6 per gallon so you're gonna be into a big gas bill for that run.
I saw that! We will be a $5/gallon in no time but by June, who knows!? I am bringing 2 guys with me so hopefully it'll take the sting out (a bit). Knowing it would run a grand in ferry fees, I think I'd rather run her up and enjoy the lack of traffic and hope for favorable conditions:)

Thanks so much for the reply and info. I really appreciate it. I have an 26' Osprey long cabin. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of speed and time to get there. It would need to be a pond for me to maintain that speed all the way there. I've run from Renfrew up to Nitinat a number of times and that's just about 1/2 way to Bamfield. Can't remember ever going more than 20 mph because of the swells alone (and they were good days). If given the choice of either trailering or running a 26' boat up, what would you choose/suggest? Based on your pic, I don't know if you could trailer your boat:) Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.
We tried to run to Renfrew one time in may last year and turned back due to fog. My buddy had radar but no overlay, I recommend overlay with autopilot it’s a long ways to try and stay on track when there is fog. We did the run from Sidney to Bamfield in June and it was long especially since we went to Swiftsure and conditions were less than ideal. A couple of guides said “you went to Swiftsure today, you are f…ing crazy”. Planning for an overnighter in Renfrew would break it up. Then you could hit Swiftsure or the rats nose before coming into Bamfield.

We tried to run to Renfrew one time in may last year and turned back due to fog. My buddy had radar but no overlay, I recommend overlay with autopilot it’s a long ways to try and stay on track when there is fog. We did the run from Sidney to Bamfield in June and it was long especially since we went to Swiftsure and conditions were less than ideal. A couple of guides said “you went to Swiftsure today, you are f…ing crazy”. Planning for an overnighter in Renfrew would break it up. Then you could hit Swiftsure or the rats nose before coming into Bamfield.
Great idea! I think a pit stop in Renfrew would be a nice pit stop to break it up. I do have radar overlay and am working with Lowrance/Simrad to figure out the best autopilot for the boat. I run a Lowrance Live 12" and apparently, Lowrance units are only compatible with very few autopilots that Simrad has. She's got twin 225's and the ones they list as compatible are for single main's only. Great input. Thank you.

Good suggestion on the autopilot. First 2 times was without and you tend to steer all over the place in the fog. With AP you can set the course and hold on, watch for logs, and radar targets. I did the trip twice in my SeaSport 2700 diesel similar boat to yours. It was great. I think you just need to be weather and tide wise and play it safe. You can duck into Victoria, Sooke, or Renfrew if weather gets bad but if its good I would just keep going.
Would not even be a bad idea to plan an overnight in Victoria after customs and fueling up then leave at 6am the next morning.

Coming back from Bamfield is usually much easier, especially if you have a flood tide. You dont want a NW wind and a ebb tide as waves will really stack up.
When we came back last summer it was blowing 24 knots right down the straight toward Victoria. Turning the corner at Cape Beal was hairy but then we rode the waves and flood tide all the way back to Victoria. As soon as we turned the corner at Victoria, Trial Island, it was glass calm.

Pciture is coming back down the straight around Sheringham Point. Canada on the left and USA on the right

IMG_4660.JPG

Last edited:
Great idea! I think a pit stop in Renfrew would be a nice pit stop to break it up. I do have radar overlay and am working with Lowrance/Simrad to figure out the best autopilot for the boat. I run a Lowrance Live 12" and apparently, Lowrance units are only compatible with very few autopilots that Simrad has. She's got twin 225's and the ones they list as compatible are for single main's only. Great input. Thank you.
you need the bigger hydro pump!!

Learned about autopilot almost 30 years ago running at night through the inside passage. Radar and autopilot, nothing as fancy on the charting front, I think we used paper charts, and the old red green autopilot. Deckhand days.

The other option is to use one engine and go slow all night after going through customs. Taking shifts just like commercial boats. Burn half the gas and sleep well. Good practise for when you come back in September for a tuna shoot out!

Good suggestion on the autopilot. First 2 times was without and you tend to steer all over the place in the fog. With AP you can set the course and hold on, watch for logs, and radar targets. I did the trip twice in my SeaSport 2700 diesel similar boat to yours. It was great. I think you just need to be weather and tide wise and play it safe. You can duck into Victoria, Sooke, or Renfrew if weather gets bad but if its good I would just keep going.
Would not even be a bad idea to plan an overnight in Victoria after customs and fueling up then leave at 6am the next morning.

Coming back from Bamfield is usually much easier, especially if you have a flood tide. You dont want a NW wind and a ebb tide as waves will really stack up.
When we came back last summer it was blowing 24 knots right down the straight toward Victoria. Turning the corner at Cape Beal was hairy but then we rode the waves and flood tide all the way back to Victoria. As soon as we turned the corner there it was glass calm.

Pciture is coming back down the straight around Sheringham Point. Canada on the left and USA on the right

View attachment 75932
This really helps me in knowing I need to get the AP installed before I go. When it's foggy, I tend to wander. What my "inner compass" tells me is 1000% wrong and then I feel tied to the MFD and when doing that, it's a great opportunity to miss a dead head or a log in front of you. Thank you so much. This is my first post and I am truly thankful for the input, tips and suggestions. If I can ever return the favor on fishing spots in WA, reach out!

Learned about autopilot almost 30 years ago running at night through the inside passage. Radar and autopilot, nothing as fancy on the charting front, I think we used paper charts, and the old red green autopilot. Deckhand days.

The other option is to use one engine and go slow all night after going through customs. Taking shifts just like commercial boats. Burn half the gas and sleep well. Good practise for when you come back in September for a tuna shoot out!
I always say I'm going to try this but never do. It gets so GD boring.

Sounds like my upbringing. My old Man spent his early years on a tug boat. Never wanted anything but a chart and a compass. One day, it may be what saves my bacon if all else fails. Just because it's the way they "used to do it" doesn't mean it isn't right:)

Sounds like my upbringing. My old Man spent his early years on a tug boat. Never wanted anything but a chart and a compass. One day, it may be what saves myt bacon if all else fails. Just because it's the way they "used to do it" doesn't mean it isn't right:)
have you been to Bamfield before?

Many years ago, I met some US guys in Bamfield that would launch at Neah Bay. Not sure if this would work for you.
my 2 cents
Stosh

You will have to clear customs up and down thru Victoria.
A guide I know runs his boat up from Victoria every spring. No big deal if you pick good running conditions to make the trip.

Back