Bamfield Fishing Reports

Just got back myself. Had 1.5 days this time out, We did pretty good, got 2 Coho over 20 #'s and 3 smaller ones, hit a 31 pound marble spring at 7 mile, 3 Hali's at 12. And lost a screamer at Ship Island. We basically did the long tack from Whittlestone to 12 mile and back..lol Saw a bunch of whales, porpoises where following our boat just about the whole way, and needless to say when we saw them back there a few swells back we never got any fish, only when I would do some evasive maneuvers to loose them did we start catching fish again! Is it possible they sit back there and wait for fish to get behind our gear then speed in there and try to capture the fish? It seems to me that was exactly what was going on!.

I have never seen so many small Salmon. I have been fishing for over 30 years now and to this date I have never seen as many small Salmon! While we were trolling out to 12 mile, we passed trough huge schools of small salmon, At first I thought it was Herring or Pilchards cause of their size, but when we went through we hooked up on a couple of small salmon so then I started really watching and I'll be dammed if it wasn't schools of small salmon. I mean on the way out to 12 mile, we passed through about 20 schools of these fish, you could see them swimming just under the surface of the water and we caught them at 90 feet when we went through, so you know there are thick and run from the surface down deep!. Some where springs and some where Coho. Our path out there is like a needle in the haystack, so there must be millions and millions of these small salmon out there right now. I've heard that ocean survival rates were supposed to drastically change, but I never expected to run into so many salmon.. EVER!!! If this was any indication of the next couple years returns then we are going to be back in the glory days soon! I don't think many small salmon died at all this time around from what I just saw it looks like they all made it! Maybe this is due to the lack of mackerel I encountered this year? But WOW! I am excited about the next couple years now! It's going to be LOADED!

Last nights rain has likely scuttled the last of the fish up the canal. Still was the odd spring trickling in, got one on Saturday and one on Monday on the wall.

Offshore turned off midweek last week as well. Was great on Tuesday, not so much Wed, and not good at all Thurs.

Don't know of anyone whos been out since.

Gimee the gaff!!!

September 24th 2008

Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing

Doug Lindores

Thanks Doug !!

Sport fishing in the area for charter guides and sport fisher persons has been much better up until the middle of September than what it was at the end of August and during the Port Alberni Salmon Derby which took place at the beginning of September. The big rains the last two weeks of August moved a lot of Chinook and Coho into various rivers and creeks. The sport fishing either side of the Labor Day weekend was not at all that good in the Port Alberni Inlet and various areas of Barkley Sound. However things have dried out and the salmon have been holding in the Port Alberni Inlet and various Barkley Sound locations. The sport fishing in the Stamp River has also picked up dramatically as plenty of Coho and Chinook are in the system as are many late summer steelhead.

Port Alberni Inlet

Barkley Sound

Guests from Calgary had a great day with Doug from slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing. Fish picked up in Barkley Sound and two in the inlet. Coho like this will be available in the Stamp River through November. Call Doug of Slivers Charters for info. The Port Alberni Inlet has had some good days lately in the mouth of the river, the Holm Island area and in McTush Bay. Coho fishing has been the best salmon fishing. McTush Bay has produced some beautiful Coho as schools have been holding in the area. Guide Mel has been guiding some fairly happy guests as limits or close to limits have been picked up daily. The Coho have been in 20 to 40 feet of water and have been hitting green and white colored hootchies. The silver-glow and the cop car coyote spoons have also been very good lures. Most of the hootchies have been trolled behind a green hotspot flasher with a 32 to 36 inch leader. The McTush area has been producing in the morning and ends suddenly by mid-day. There has also been a good evening bite. The Harbor area has produced some good Chinook and Coho fishing. Over the last two weeks it seems that the Coho lay in one area of the Harbor while the Chinook are in another area. The Coho have been hitting the same gear as what had been used further down the Inlet at McTush but lately they have become a little picky. This past weekend sport fishermen using small apex lures had some great success. A four inch apex trolled in the top 20 feet of water and orange-white in color had excellent results. A couple of fortunate sport fishermen and one guide using the orangey-white apex with no flasher were able to land up to 8 nice sized brightly colored Coho. Chinook have also been fairly picky at what they want to hit but a few fishermen who still have the old T-Spoons hidden away in their tackle boxes have done extremely well. Some fishermen who have gone out at day break and have fished all morning and have had little success are hearing stories of those going out during the afternoon tide change and within two hours have four big 20 plus pound Chinook using the old T-Spoons. We are expecting Coho to continue moving into the Port Alberni Inlet until mid October. This should create some excellent sport fishing.

Kim Housholder from Layton Utah caught this 20lb Coho while fishing with guide Doug Lindores of Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing near Pill Point in Barkley soundPill Point has been a great Barkley Sound fishing location for guides Doug and John of Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing. The days in Barkley Sound have been just gorgeous. The sun has been warm and the breeze from the ocean has kept temperatures just perfect. Pill Point, Ecoole, and Diplock have had some very good Coho fishing in September. For guide Doug the Coho have been mainly in 18 to 45 feet of water. The fish are hitting the green spatterback, T Rex, and the AORL12 hootchies as well as the silver-glow coyote spoon. Doug and John have been trolling a 39 to 42 inch leader behind a green hotspot flasher and have also hit Chinook and the odd Chum salmon which have weighed up to 20 plus pounds. The Coho have been big and have averaged 14 pounds. The biggest Coho to date has been close to 20 pounds. The last few days has slowed down but there is still promise of some great early fall fishing days. There should be some Chum salmon which are tremendous battlers show up in good numbers in the Sarita Bay area. Reports of a few of these being landed have already occurred. Chum salmon also known as Dog Salmon are great on the barbecue. Chum often are in the Nahmint area and also Cous Bay in the Inlet. One guide has reported landing a couple using a big red hootchie in McTush Bay.

Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing is also organizing some Chum Fishing Charters in Browns Bay which is just north of Campbell River. Please call doug at 250 731 7389 for information or just e mail dlindy@shaw.caThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Ucluelet

Guides Mike and Al are still have some great success on inside and outside waters. The waters of the Pacific have been just wonderful. There have been many days when the water is as flat as any well known lake. The Big Bank is still producing Halibut up to 40 pounds. The Rats Nose has produced some Chinook (a few) up to 28 and 30 pounds. The halibut have been picked up by jigging, using a spreader bar, or by trolling hootchies and spoons. Most of the hootchies are glows and have been working very well. The Chinook on the outside have been hitting bait in glow teaser heads and various glow hootchies. There are also plenty of Coho with the biggest to date coming in at 20 pounds. The South Bank area has been also producing. Chinook 12 to 14 pounds have been hitting white hootchies and a hootchie known as the UGLY. Coho in this area are up to 14 pounds. Fishing out of Ucluelet should continue into October with plenty of migratory fish on the move. Halibut and other bottom fish should remain outstanding until mid October.

Somass-Stamp River

Barkely Sound on a beautiful morning with a lone boat and the rising sun and fading fog in the background. Barkley Sound not only offers great salmon sport fishing but beautiful sceneryRiver fishing has really picked up. There were a couple of days after a commercial opening in the Port Alberni Harbor that really slowed fishing down but the salmon are coming into the river in good numbers. Many guests are aboard jet boats with a guide and are fly fishing. Many guides are putting a small piece of red wool on the fly to add color. Some are not only using red but are also adding a blue or a yellow color. One can easily walk the river. B.C. Hydro recently released some water from the Ash River which is to help the salmon migrate with ease up to Robertson Creek Hatchery. This was done on Sunday which actually raised the water level of the river quite dramatically. Those walking the river may have to work very hard as the fish are there but might not be in the first couple of spots one comes to. Those that work the river hard are limiting each time out with Chinook and Coho. Guides are treating their guests with up to 12 to 14 fish per day which they have opportunity to play. Many guests are only keeping a couple of salmon per day. All of the salmon to date have been bright silver. There are becoming more and more late summer steelhead in the system also. We are offering a great accommodation-fishing package into mid November. Call or email Doug of Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing for this wonderful fishing opportunity. The river is a wonderful and beautiful area for the sport fisher person.

For more information

Doug Lindores

Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing

www.catchsalmon-ca.com

www.catchsalmon.ca

250 731 7389 (cell)

250 724 2502

1 877 314 6800

dlindy@shaw.ca

the Fog Ducker

IMG_1356-1-1.jpg

Lets fish lasqueti(pub) or french creek(pub) or bamfield(pub) Greg im noticing a pattern here. At least this time you asked hows the fishing before asking if the pubs open:D

Yep, pubs goin', grub is pretty good too.

Kelly, met one of your buds at the McKay Bay fuel dock, sounds like you guys will be back at the chum smash!!!

BRS if you wanna have a beer while out here let's do it!

Gimee the gaff!!!

We'll wander down for a few pints Sat. after dinner.(hopefully hali and chips)There are 4 of us and i'll be the best lookin with the shimano hat on( the other three are butt ugly)See you then

Greg how did you make out?

Osama Yea thats my buddy hes pretty salty although he slept in instead of fishing one day this summer so i kinda lost faith in him till he grows a pair.... Either way we will be hittin up the chumfest:D

Went to Fleming on Fri. night and nothing. Got up early sat am and headed offshore in the fog and chop. Hali sucked(tides were'nt good)Burned alot of fuel and still skunked. Cleaned out the boats and refueled and Bushy came over with his bud so the 4 of sat on my boat for a chinwag and couple hours and many beverages later, we were'nt going anywhere. Managed to make it through dinner but definitely not able to make it to the pub. Got up early Sun. am and headed offshore and stayed out longer than we should have. It was blowin 25knots and the tide was rippin. We managed three hali for our trouble and ended up putting on 91 nautical miles for the day.(including our return trip to Port)On our way back down the canal we saw a pair of humpbacks that put on a show and a big fat black bear(500lbs?)All in all it was fun, had alot of laughs but the fishing sucked.

Hey Kelly, how's it goin out there? The mark on my gps was called 10 mile but it was alot further than that. We used alot more fuel than planned so we erred on the side of caution and did'nt go all the way on Sat. Made it out there on Sun but it was 24 miles from Bamfield( we were packin extra fuel) We were out there by ourselves and it was blowin pretty good. We had three in the boat pretty early but we wanted to get the fourth and stayed out hours later but to no avail.I don't know how the weather is in Alta., but the run down the inlet Sunday night was spectacular.

Osama that was me working at Mckay Bay
And kelly the pair is grown and salty and you know it your just jealous because i own your boat now and you are in calgary where there are no salmon to fish[:p]
and bigredsnapper no coho or feeders out there?

Its going about as well as it can not being on the coast(it sucks). Thats a long run offshore in our boats. Our rides always open if you want to hit up one day of the chumderby. Jon has informed me he grew a pair and they even dropped so well be fishing friday morn-sunday.

Hey Kelly, the chum derby would be a blast but chances would be slim, I have the week off before that. Yeah Buddy we were determined to limit on hali and then go after salmon. We did see a bait ball ( hundreds of diving gulls) in the distance while hali fishin but by the time we got there the birds were just sitting on the water. We trolled three lines, one surface one 50ft and one 100ft for about 20min. and nothing.Boats back in the water on the inside so I'll go back to the ECVI thread, thanks to all for the info.

Well , going to go spend Thanks Giving up at the Nooke ,Mash Potatoes n Turkey n Beer Gravy , can't wait !! [:p] I have never been over there this late in the season , I don't think Fishing for Salmon is a priority right now ,sounds REAL SLOW !!! I am going to go play with the Crab n Prawn traps , ( sure love that new " Ace Line Hauler " ) more fun now , don't cry if the trap is empty . Might go try for some bottom fish out by Crea Isl. , Any one got any suggestions , I don't think we will be getting up till the crack of 10ish !![:eek:)] , Has anyone ever prawned at the entrance of the sound , or , any other productive areas ,( Other than the Wall !! ) thanks in advance , if anyone is coming back soon or by Oct 9/08 , could ya drop me a line , Report would be appreciated , Halibut would be worth a hunt !! Cheers , FD.

the Fog Ducker

IMG_1356-1-1.jpg

Back