ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING!

Howdy,

Good post Gimp. Keep sluggin' away man! Sorry you can't make the meeting.

Since 'sea-lice' seems to be the 'flavor-of-the-month' as far as fishfarming goes (when in reality it is but one of MANY serious issues with this business) here's another A-typical contradiction concerning fishfarming and the treatment of sea-lice.

The first link below is from the manufacturer of 'Slice' (the poison they dump into our ocean to kill sea-lice) touting the virtues of their product:

http://www.spaquaculture.com/default.aspx?pageid=72

Now, here's the MSDS Safety Report on the stuff from the Safety Officer in Physical Chemistry at Oxford University:

http://www.pcl.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/EM/emamectin_benzoate.html

This stuff is not even for sale in Canada. Only veterinarian's can order it under extreme circumstances - I suspect because Government is in bed with the Industry.

Wonder if sheit' like this stuff is why killer whales are dying lately for no apparent reason.

Today the 'Alliance' stands at: 89 (I can smell 100!)

Get those meeting confirmations in Guys/Girls!

Cheers,
Terry

For those of you not wanting to go through the MSDS I took a few quotes out. first of all, the active ingredient is Emamectin Benzoate, which I'll just call EB from now on. EB makes up 0.2% of SLICE and is described in the MSDS under the risk section as:

-Toxic if swallowed (a good reason not to eat farmed fish)
-Irritating to eyes
-Very toxic to aquatic organisms
-Toxic to bees
-May cause long-term adverse effects in the environment

And this is from the product description:

"When fed to fish emamectin benzoate is absorbed from the gut and distributed to the tissue of the fish. When sea lice feed on tissues of treated fish, emamectin is taken up into the tissues of the louse. Emamectin then binds to ion channels of nerve cells and disrupts transmission of nerve impulses, which results in paralysis and death of the parasite. Emamectin benzoate is excreted slowly by fish and metabolized to inactive compounds, resulting in long-lasting protection."

I thought I'd include that to show that EB does in fact end up in the salmon flesh. Then it is excreted slowly and broken down, but you can guarantee some remains. It also makes me wonder about escaped fish that might be highly contaminated. For example, 50000 fish escape 5 days after being treated and fishermen, orcas, seals, bottom fish, and anything that eats salmon, are now eating toxic fish. I'd be most worried about ignorant fishermen and orcas personally. According to this report

http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/documents/mh_news_ad_sealice_LowRes.pdf

which was on the link gimp last posted, the salmon are treated about mid-January, and the EB works its magic all through the summer - which means fishermen are fishing and resident orcas are feeding in the area (are there orcas in the broughton?? ... joking).

anyways, I hope this was interesting,

Dudds

quote:Originally posted by Captain Dudds

(are there orcas in the broughton?? ... joking).

Dudds

Painfully funny and sad Lets hope some day they return

stupid fish farms

I routinely oppose farmed fish when and where I can.. I have a good friend that I went to school with that runs a Family owned I.G.A in our home town in northern A.B. and I consistently bother him for selling farmed fish. I try and explain what it is he is selling and the destruction it causes but he is not a fisherman so he does not understand and I guess the old dollar speaks louder than anything,, but I still keep after him.. Last fall we were in a Costco in Edmonton and a manager was restocking the cooler with Atlantic Salmon I started in to him and he started to give me a bit of an attitude, not smart on his behalf,, the wife rushed off because she knew what was about to happen.. After I was done with the little weasel the wife gives me the look,, oh well I came out of it feeling good.. The hell with him..

We have to fight this thing on all fronts...

Howdy,

Precisely Walleyes; I too, always ask if it's wild or farmed - even if I'm just gonna' have a burger.

Take the Ferries for example. I usually try to time my travel so we hit the big-boats and the buffet. Since day-one I've always asked whether it's wild or farmed. Now, they only serve wild.

One may not need to cut the snake into many little pieces if it's easier to just cut its fuggin' head off!

Cheers,
Terry

We have to be a little careful here not to generalize. The idea of fishfarming itself is not stupid and probably necessary to feed the population mass in this world. I would doubt that wild stocks of any sort of fish species are in a state of condition to provide enough for sufficient food supply to 6.5 billion people. It's the method of fishfarming that makes it good or bad. Open pen netfarming e.g. with all it's obvious environmental impact is bad and should be banned asap. However, an enclosed land based system that properly contains and treats all effluents and wastes and operates responsibly with pharma products is in my eyes desired and required. Fishfarming in form of raising trouts, carps, pikes etc. in separate pond systems have been around for thousands of years and certainly pose a insignificant risk to the environment and provide a good product - especially in areas that have no access to ocean or large lakes and rivers.

Walleye: I am not sure how Alberta based fishfarms look like but do not accuse a product before you are sure it is of the bad sort. You may discredit our whole movement and put us in the same shelf as radical environmentalists with no plan and no clue but being against to anything.

quote:Walleye: I am not sure how Alberta based fishfarms look like but do not accuse a product before you are sure it is of the bad sort. You may discredit our whole movement and put us in the same shelf as radical environmentalists with no plan and no clue but being against to anything.

We do not have fish farms for Atlantic Salmon in Alberta.. The fish come from Pacific pens.. Don't worry I do know the difference between the ocean and a lake and wild or pen raised fish.. I do not generalise but target specifically the proper ones..

And yes I have said on here many times that I feel farmed fish do have a place in this world and are necessary " if done rite" and I make it clear when making my arguments...

Today it was reported that Pat Bell, Minister of Agriculture for BC, refused to move the Fish Farms out of the Broughton, to protect spawning salmon from Sea Lice generated by the fish farms. His response was to ask the Fish Farms to use more chemicals to kill the Sea Lice. What a Maroon. [xx(]:(

today is a sad day

Agriculture minister Pat Bell has rejected a demand by environmentalists and first nations leaders to fallow fish farms in the Broughton Archipelago on BC's central coast.
Bell says it would be impractical to remove up to 750-thousand Atlantic salmon from farms in the Broughton to allow juvenile wild salmon an unmolested out-migration next month; instead the government will push for increased chemical treatments to kill sea lice around the fish farms.

"We think at this point, that's the best solution, we are looking for a longer term solution."

And he says the government will step up monitoring of fish farms in the meantime.

"We're gonna make sure that all of those farms have very low if not zero lice levels during the migration period."

Environmentalists say sea lice from fish farms could wipe out local salmon runs in a matter of years.

from the westcoaster
By Alexandra Morton
Opinion

Like the drawing that illustrates it, Cameron MacDonald’s well written article in the Globe and Mail (Feb. 23, 2008) is a caricature. His essay on the benevolence of industrial aquaculture uses a familiar outline, but then fills it in with very selected facts – and omissions. The essential fact that Cameron has chosen to overlook: industrial fish farms on wild salmon migration routes are rapidly driving salmon to extinction, has been repeated by scientists around the world. The most distressing thing about this omission: this is a problem we can fix.

Farming a high-end carnivore like salmon is just another form of intensive fishing. Why anyone would go fishing; process, bag, transport and throw their catch back into the sea to produce less fish (burning fuel every step of the way) is a mystery to me. The issue is not aquaculture. The issue is farming wolves instead of chickens. If BC fish farmers really want to contribute to the global food supply and protect wild fish, they should be raising livestock that produces protein from plants, like the rest of the farming industry.

Here on the West Coast of Canada we have an extraordinary diversity of wild salmon species. Cameron’s disregard for escape of Atlantic salmon into this delicate balance is disturbing. Why is there only one salmon in the Atlantic? Didn’t play well with the others? What will it take for humans to read the fine print on our life-support systems. Invading species are the greatest threat to life on earth.

Atlantic cod did not go extinct because they were fished. They went extinct because the Federal Agency responsible silenced its own scientists when they pointed out how to manage the stock. Fisheries and Oceans Canada should have been put on trial and disbanded for destroying one of earth’s biggest food supplies, but instead they are back at the helm, in charge of our wild salmon, one of the very last clean proteins on earth. And oil wells are on the Grand Banks.

Cameron wants us to believe that only a few specific stocks of pink salmon are at risk from farm lice, but that is not the case. Out of concern for our wild salmon, people up and down this coast are helping me study sea lice. DFO wonders why there were no sockeye last year and had to close the entire south coast fishery. As it happens I looked at that stock when they went to sea in 2005 and sea lice were eating them alive as they passed through the gauntlet of fish farms off Campbell River. Farm lice from the Beaver Cover farm fish processing plant infested Nimpkish chums for years as they went to sea and this year they vanished. If the missing Squamish chums migrate to sea via the Discovery Islands they too were covered with farm lice, as were the east Vancouver Island pink salmon. Steelhead, coho and chinook smolts also had lice in that area. The Georgia Strait herring now have farm lice before they have scales. And what about those Megin River Chinook? No lice in Clayoquot? Really? Those who care about that river might want to look a little more closely.

Cameron’s most misguided statement ranks wild salmon as consuming more fish than farm salmon. But as a teacher surely he is familiar with the food chain? From the moment wild salmon eggs leave their mother’s body they feed the world around them. Nitrogen from the ocean has been tracked deep inland in a wave of luxuriant green life. Our trees are grown on salmon. Vancouver should be called CITY OF THE SALMON as it, even now, has one of the biggest wild salmon runs on earth still passing right through town. No other city in the world can boast this!

Please, British Columbians, Canadians don’t be blind to the gift of wild salmon, because we won’t be given this birthright twice. What if the scientists are right, those whose peer-reviewed study shows that everywhere there are fish farms, everywhere in the world, wild fish stocks decline by as much as 50 per cent a generation? What if the people of this coast who have taken a stand are right? Jobs are important but in my town, Echo Bay, surrounded by more farms than anywhere on this coast… not one person has a farm job. Why? No one wants to foul their own home. Any place on earth that still makes clean air, water and food must be allowed to continue functioning if we humans are to survive.

This issue has been confusing for urban Canadians, and an easy one to ignore. The fish are invisible to city folk and their life cycles quite mysterious. If you’re walking the Vancouver streets in September, do you think of the magnificent wild salmon swimming home almost beneath your feet? More likely, you only think of them when you’re at Whole Foods, picking up a delicious filet of sockeye. In April are you aware that 3cm salmon fry are bravely making their way downriver out to sea – small, scaleless and extremely vulnerable? And the length of the coast, away from urban eyes, millions will die in the coming weeks from farm lice. No other B.C. marine user group is given the luxury of externalizing their costs at such a massive cost to all Canadians - now and future generations.

The science is absolutely in on this issue. Two studies have been published in the last few months that are unassailable. One, previously cited, shows the devastating effects of industrial aquaculture worldwide, another that shows the extinction trend of a major B.C. stock in just four years. The “debate” is a skillful campaign to stall progress.

The truly frustrating thing is that, we can reverse this. Sea lice are not a climate-change sized issue, this is local and in our hands. All we have to do is get the fish farms off the wild salmon migration routes before the little guys wake up this spring. And that is what is maddening about Cameron’s impression piece – it muddies the waters just when we need clarity.

B.C.’s Premier Gordon Campbell has a serious louse problem that he will have to attend to. Or what will we all tell our children?

this is a letter that i put up at ffbc and thought it applied..e-mail me for more info....this farm raises baby's for all the rest....if you want results ...one third or so cant run with without stock to fill the net pens.....focus as a group on closing down this farm and you will have less pens in the ocean in operation....help me!!!!!!

we have a lake that some of you have come here to fish and one that is kinda special. this lake is being ruined by the fish farming industry as we speek. lois lake a damed lake that is the bottom to one of the 3 main drainages here.it is a big body of water that has lots of standing timber.it is also the last lake in the chain that feeds lower eagle river witch had a return of salmon earlier this year.
(eagle rivers back) .the lake has several species of fish that are important to the fly fishing community . sticklebacks and sculpin are smaller bait fish in the lake and kokanee are the next size up. these are the species of concern here. they are the food source for what may be some of the worlds largest coastal cutthroat trout !
X is a unknown number .ok ....fallow me on this one.
there is only X amount of spawning grounds .
X amount of food fish, eg. (kokanee) come from those spawning grounds .
so only X amount of cutthroat will be able to eat and grow from these kokanee.
this is the natural cycle of the lake...now...add Atlantic and pacific salmon to the lake and thousands of rainbows to the lake that come from a steelhead background. the lois lake farm due to pure negligents has "lost '' 1000s of these fish into the lake . the people that they get to work there are uneducated in the aquaculture industry...infact most have never had anything to do with fish at all and have no right to be working at a farm...but they like them that way.
we are not talking about going up and catching some nice rainbows that got out of the farm .were talking 5-25 lb rainbows that are every were. all ends of the lake, you cant go any were with out catching a farm fish..
you may think ''cool that sounds fun on the fly''? but what are they eating....?
kokanee,stickleback,sculpin,cronies,dragons,scuds, drys, leaches and on and on..basically all the food for the cutthroat is being eaten..im not joking or pumping this issue up more than need be.this lake is full of farm rainbows and you can't kill them and they limited the amount of salmon you can kill in a day!
CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ! they limited the amount of an invasive species that we can get out of our world class cutthroat lake! so what can i do as a fisherman?
well i called jim roberts the bio holding the cutthroat file at the time. he comes up and i explain to him the situation and show him the lay of the land and take him fishing. i broke his cutthroat recored 3 times in one day. he listened to my concerns of lois lake.they were as fallows ;
1- will salmon and rainbows spawn and create wild populations in the lake?
2- will they eat kokanee and other food sources of the natural fish species?
3-will they move throughout the system and take habitat from the natural species?
4-will they migrate to salt water given the opportunity?
he was interested in these questions as well and the next time he came he brought aaron stodered the large lake bio with him and a bunch of minnow traps .we put traps in the feeder creeks and tried to catch a variety of baby fry to see if any salmon or rainbows showed up..we found baby salmon in a feeder creek after sampling only a small portion of the creeks feeding the lake.
so what did this do for the situation? well i was right they were populating they creeks and this gave them more money to do more investigation.we did a full large lake assessment ..all kinds of stuff water temps and depth ,set gill nets and dissected fish . i learned lots from the 3 days we spent on the lake. we also caught farm fish in the nets , and right now this the data that we collected is being processed . more will come from this but the government is very slow as we all know. so who is responsible to watch out that this does not happen?
mr Brian Barker is the "inspector" so i called him and told him about what was going on. he told me first that;
''no fish have escaped sense 1997 ''.
''if a escapement happens its between him and the farm and its not my concern''
''that he came here and there were no escaped fish and if i was going to push the issue that i should send him proof''
it goes on and on he is as crooked as the industry so i talked with the boss..same thing...so i wrote this letter it goes as follows

Nathan Demeester <patcheshardheader@yahoo.ca> wrote:

Hello bill this is Nathan Demeester or as you know me patches . Im very involved in the fishery in Powell river. Im head guide for Powell river out back adventures ,a private fishery consultant , I do brood stock for the Chapman creek steelhead program ,as well as collect D.N.A samples for several biologists from bull trout and dollies/rainbows and cutthroat . I give my time all over our fishery to make sure my 2 boys have these trophy cutthroat that live here in OUR back country for years to come . i say this so that you know that what i speak of, does not come from a place of ignorance. My message today is to inform you that if we as a community do not get some kind of responsible agency to look out for the wild fish of Lois lake soon, then we will take it to a new level of media and action to protect the world class cutthroat fishing of this area. After mr barkers rude and unprofessional comments on the phone..and then a few conversations with you i now understand that your office does not have any interest in OUR back country , or these spacial fishery's or protecting them as we hired you to do..Many more fish have escaped sense we talked last, there was a huge escape in the last wind storm of 5 lb fish that are all over once again . The fish have now left the lake and entered the river below. witch was all resident trout water till now . They were caught in the salt water along the shore between Lois river mouth and Lang creek and have been caught in the first few pools of Lang. this is your offices job !If you can do your job then we will find some agency that will. Mr barker took an oath . thats on the net as public record .stop defending the farm and farmer and do your job. I had aaron stodered the large lake biologist hear last year and we did a full large lake assessment of Lois and found farm fish . The local takle shop is covered in pictures of these farm fish. My 5 and 9 year old catch them, so why does your office pretend that they are not there? THEY POSE A THREAT TO THE FISHERY . And now we have video , pictures ,data and a very pist off community . We have the 'friends of eagle river' and the Georgia striate alliance .Im going to put this story on every fishing site on the inter net and u tube. Im going to call up every favor ,debt ,and persons that can make a difference in this situation . I told you guys whats going on and its not my job to prove the incompetents of the farm or farmer. ITS YOUR OFFICES AND ITS TIME YOU DO! Im sending a copy of this letter to every one that has an interest . If you care to help this situation then i am hear to help you....if your interest is only that of the farm and farmer . then we will find an agency that will live up to there responsibility and we will protect whats ours. I have 2 boys mr harrower...and they WILL guide Lois lake when they grow up and they will be catching the largest coastal cutthroat in world .thats what
i am leaving my boys....what would you have them fish for?...patches..patcheshardheader@yahoo.ca

Go to Top of Page
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
New Topic Reply to Topic
Send Topic to a Friend
Printer Friendly
Jump To:

did he reply to your letter? he asked for proof and it sounds like you gave it to him. when did you send him the letter?

i tryed to e-mail it . but could not get it through ....so i copied what i wrote on the computer by hand and sent it away to his office....no response ...i dont want to deal with them any more to me they are all pro fish farming as is any sector of government that benefits from fish farming ....um....conflict of interest ? how can the agencies responsible to protect our fisheries be pro farming?
how about they guy who owns the farm is on our salmon enhancement board,and has implemented fish farming tec. into our salmon enhancement programs. as a member i went to the year end meeting . when i asked about wild stock being given priority and brought up the stocking of fish above the natural barriers ...i was ridiculed from the board and totally brushed of because of my stand against fish farms and a farm owned and operated one of the board members.
the thing is the freash water farms fall under the food and agriculture, and do not fall under the same ''recommendations'' that salt water farms do . in fact i have not found any rules for these farms at all . they seem to do as they please ! if you saw the farm ,and the fish on the out side of the pens,the undigested fat floating on the surface as other eat it,the fish swimming like halibut because they are so miss shaped ,the garbage cans of dead one that did not make it to market by day or weeks you would be as pissed as i am to have this in your lake bro!...

I hear and feel your pain. But a few tips for further steps: 1) Please have your letter proof-read, it is never well received if the letter is full of typos etc. Make it look unprofessional. No offence man, just a tip.
2) Invite us all over for a weekend. We will gladly catch all those 5-25 lbs trouts. We all keep our limit of 4 and this should take out a substantial portion of the alien fish.

3) Do not try to fight it alone. Look for alliances with First Nations or other groups that may be interested in this lake.

Good luck! If you need votes for your case, you can surely find them here!

Howdy Patches,

I too, feel your pain man. Good on you for trying to do something about this farming fiasco.

This world needs more people like you and I'm sure your kids are proud of you for not sitting around on your butt and doing nothing but complain about it.

You should join the Wild Salmon Alliance. We need your voice and your enthusiasim as we endeavor to SINK THE FISHFARMS!

Myself and several of the 90 or so members of this new organization are going to have our first meeting next Monday night here in Victoria. If you can make it you are more than welcome to come. If not, join up and I'll keep you posted on developements.

Cheers,
Terry Anderson

thanks for both your encouragement.to the first comment on a culling of the lake ....you cant keep a fish over 16 or 18 inches in the lake,to protect the cutthroat of course!so the farm rainbows are protected.i am trying to get them to mark there fish, so people can keep hatchery marked fish..for the rose garden i suppose .and as to the spelling im sorry, i left home at 15 with little education ...but i try to get the point across....little hawk we share the same passion ,good on ya and keep yelling....if they had pushed harder in Scotland, Ireland,and in coastal Europe ,they would not be pouring poison in the rivers and trying to start over..when i called over there to talk with some bio's all i could understand was ''don't let farms by your sea trout'' well? i have 2 passions steelhead and sea run cutthroat. both sea trout,and i wonder if my 2 boys will get a chance to fish them on some of the waters that i enjoy . the first to go are the indicator species. and they are in trouble.i would like to join and i will but you should think about having the meetings mid island so the people from powell river and the north island could come...and like i said this farm raises Atlantic's ,coho, and spring smolts for 1/3 of the farms ..if you want results ,hit the hart!

Just wondering;

How many of the posters on this site would support salmon farming if they knew the impact was far less than catching/killing wild salmon for sport?

Do the posters on this site support salmon ranching (like is done is Alaska)?

[?]

Back